Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up, I am heading out to fontana this weekend for the races and have a few questions regarding the DH course. The last time I've really ridden a legit DH course was back when I lived on the east coast at Plattekill in 2003, so I'm a bit removed from the scene. I do a lot of "all moutain" riding at PV (del cerro), hummingbird/simi, kenter area, nike area...

I'll be at fontana on sat. to watch the 4x and hike the DH course, and if I'm in the mood I'll pay the $8 to practice DH, but I'm still up in the air about actually racing in the 27+ class.

So, whats the overall course like? from what I've gathered it's pretty mellow, even more-so than Hummingbird.

Another question, is how do you get to the top? Is there a shuttle or is it a hike-a-bike? Any answers and more info would be nice.
 

·
Specialized Rida
Joined
·
815 Posts
BH1 said:
whats up, I am heading out to fontana this weekend for the races and have a few questions regarding the DH course. The last time I've really ridden a legit DH course was back when I lived on the east coast at Plattekill in 2003, so I'm a bit removed from the scene. I do a lot of "all moutain" riding at PV (del cerro), hummingbird/simi, kenter area, nike area...

I'll be at fontana on sat. to watch the 4x and hike the DH course, and if I'm in the mood I'll pay the $8 to practice DH, but I'm still up in the air about actually racing in the 27+ class.

So, whats the overall course like? from what I've gathered it's pretty mellow, even more-so than Hummingbird.

Another question, is how do you get to the top? Is there a shuttle or is it a hike-a-bike? Any answers and more info would be nice.
The course can be exhuasting depending on what kind of shape your in. With that being said, at the point of exhaustion any normal technical section can be the hardest thing, only because it will be hard to handle the bike due to muscle fatigue.

If I were you I woul hike it up. Just follow the crowd along the wall and you will see what I mean. If you think you can do that several times and avoid the shuttle then do it. but at the same times 8 dollars isn't that much.

As far as racing is conerned well that really depends on how confortable you are when you do your runs. Just go out and have a good time, and if you do decide to race well just treat it the same way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Welcome back to racing. I figured my two cents would be worth something 'cause I'm just getting into DH racing and so all those details stand out in my mind.

The course changes every event so it's always a little different. That being said, I've been racing on an all mountain bike so you know the course is not THAT hardcore. Expect to hammer for about 3 minutes, give or take. Courses have been consisting of sandy turns, some rock gardens, and some flatter pedaling sections, aka the wall, be warned.

I thought the same as you, skip the shuttle and just hike the day before to practice. I feel that the money would have been worth it to spend since i could have done more runs and my legs felt tired the next day from hiking. If you don't care about your placing, hike the run. If you care, save your strength for actually practicing and pay up for the shuttle. Race fee includes shuttle practice runs on Sunday so get there early or else you'll end up doing only one practice run, I speak from experience :)

Since you've raced before, you know what's up. Anyways, hope that helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
perfect. Thanks for the info. I'm planning on riding the course tomorrow and will (at this point) race on sunday. I'm just going to hike the course since I'm not really too worried about winning or anything. thanks again!
 

·
Old No. 7
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
BH1 said:
perfect. Thanks for the info. I'm planning on riding the course tomorrow and will (at this point) race on sunday. I'm just going to hike the course since I'm not really too worried about winning or anything. thanks again!
You'll prob. end up getting as many or more runs in hiking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
The course is not challenging in the sense of many gnarly rock gardens. It is a bit challenging, though, is the sense of fitness, (a lot of pedalling) and there are many sandy/loose/off camber turns. They are fun races, and the vibe is very positive. Just come out, practice, and decide then. I would walk up a few times, start to get the lay of the couse, then take the shuttle to save energy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
dezul43 said:
check out my helmet cam footage of the course from 2 weeks ago at fontana. it might help.......
Thanks! That was pretty useful. I'm racing the XC series out there but have agreed to take a chance on the DH course for the 3rd race of the season. The weapon of choice will be a Chumba EVO.

Any thoughts on whether or not a full face is necessary? I've never ridden with one so I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.
 

·
Specialized Rida
Joined
·
815 Posts
CranxOC said:
Thanks! That was pretty useful. I'm racing the XC series out there but have agreed to take a chance on the DH course for the 3rd race of the season. The weapon of choice will be a Chumba EVO.

Any thoughts on whether or not a full face is necessary? I've never ridden with one so I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.
I'm sure these guys were happy they were wearing one. Here are some pics I found that other photographers took at the race. Like phototurbo and various others. These people will take cool pics of you at the races.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
We race the same courses

For the Southridge sponsored races, like the Winter Series and the Fall classic, everyone's just been racing on the same course. It's cool cause if you're a Beginner, you can compare your times to the Pros. (There's a reason why they're pros and I'm a beginner)

From my understanding, the only time they have seperate courses for the pros and experts vs. the lower classes is during the NORBA nationals which I believe is in May this year. Since that is a USA cycling sponsored event, they are required to have seperate courses.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top