Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ride the Gold Line Light Rail to Folsom for the trail? Please provide details on how to enter the trail. I usually enter from Cavitt Jr. High School when I drive, but I'd like to save some gas by using the lightrail. Thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Anyone here ride the Gold Line Light Rail to Folsom for the trail? Please provide details on how to enter the trail. I usually enter from Cavitt Jr. High School when I drive, but I'd like to save some gas by using the lightrail. Thanks
My map shows Cavitt Jr high in Rocklin, up by Douglas? That is far from Folsom and far from light rail.

If you are looking for the bike path or trails around Lake Natomas, you can get off at any of the stops but the first (at the premium outlets) and the last (at Sutter street) are easiest.

Fisrt stop. If you get off the light rail, on a weekend , just look across Folsom blvd and you will see bikes about half mile away on the path. You can cross Folsom (to the west) and when your'e on the other side just make your way to the bike path.

If you go to the last stop, you can go to Bicycles Plus and then go down the stairs behind the hotel, and end up under Rainbow Bridge.

Any of the other stops vwill get you there, but you can easily get lost in the same ol same ol empty office buildings out there, so forget those.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think he's thinking of the Granite Bay trails that you access via that Jr High if I recall. Only read about it myself, never been there.
If so, then take the last stop. Ride down Leidesdorff street, towards the powerhouse, go across Greenback at the light, Get onto the old Folsom bridge, and then after you go across the American River, make a right and start climbing uphill.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I do this all the time

I live in West Sac. Its thirty miles to the closest trails, no matter what way I go. It gets expensive to drive my big diesel truck all the time. Light rail is much cheaper.

Take light rail to the Iron Point Station.
Cross Folsom Blvd and enter the Lake Natomas area. Find the Lake Natomas Loop Trail. It hugs the shore line on the southeast side and intermingles with the paved bike path. This trail is legal multi-use. Take the trail or bike path east into Folsom.
Cross Lake Natomas on the new Folsom Blvd bridge.
At the north end of the bridge, go right (east) down a set of paved switchbacks that lead back down to the paved bike path. Alternative, after the switch backs, look for the single track on the left side and bomb down it to the bike path.
Follow the paved bike path east.
You have two options here. It just depends on your acceptable risk level. You can follow the bike path all the way up through Beals Point and into Granite Bay.
-Or-
There is singletrack that follows the bike path almost all the way up to Granite Bay. You have to do a little paved here and there, but the single track is good. Or it would be if it weren't a poach. I would never encourage anybody to ride their mtn bike up it, but 'hiking' is ok;)

Its not hard to rack up big mileage with this route. You can add things in like the north side of Natomas Loop or Lost Leggos to add major miles.

·
Clever Title
529 Posts
There is singletrack that follows the bike path almost all the way up to Granite Bay. You have to do a little paved here and there, but the single track is good. Or it would be if it weren't a poach. I would never encourage anybody to ride their mtn bike up it, but 'hiking' is ok;)
Granted I haven't ridden that section in a long time, but is it posted "no bikes"? I don't remember any.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Granted I haven't ridden that section in a long time, but is it posted "no bikes"? I don't remember any.
Oh yeah, north side, after the Rainbow bridge, very fancy, wood post, metal signs posted at every singletrack entrance. They had no $$$ to keep the parks open past October 15th last year, but had the money to put up the posts afterwards.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Perfect

I live in midtown and have been looking to light rail it up to Folsom for the trails. Didn't really know where to start, great thread. Might give it a go tomorrow. Anyone doing this on a weekend hit me up.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
All the videos / pictures I've seen of Granite bay are like fireroad, is there actually decent singletrack up there?
Depending on what you are looking for, yes.
It is not Downieville, Auburn, Tahoe or Whistler.
It is fast, flowy, smooth buff trail.
It is a good local, regional trail for daily/weekly workouts.:thumbsup:
Mostly hardpack, some sandy sections. A few rocks to play on but nothing significant. If you like rolling seriously fast and leaning deep into turns, this is a good place for it.
If you are looking for steeper, techy, rocky fun, you have to get off the beaten path;)
Check out TBF if you want to try some local races at Granite Bay. Lots of fun.

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Depending on what you are looking for, yes.
It is not Downieville, Auburn, Tahoe or Whistler.
It is fast, flowy, smooth buff trail.
It is a good local, regional trail for daily/weekly workouts.:thumbsup:
Mostly hardpack, some sandy sections. A few rocks to play on but nothing significant. If you like rolling seriously fast and leaning deep into turns, this is a good place for it.
If you are looking for steeper, techy, rocky fun, you have to get off the beaten path;)
Check out TBF if you want to try some local races at Granite Bay. Lots of fun.
That is good info thanks! :thumbsup:

I've been expanding my horizons this last month and tackling XC stuff, mostly really just Salmon Falls and Lake Natoma (I'm a fan of that North Shore riding :)

Now I'm asking myself if I think I can ramp things up over the next three weeks and do that 50mi endurance race. Hrmmm.. The longest I'd ever ridden before was Monday when I did that 24mi ride, a good chunk of which was street.

The loop is posted though, I could in theory hit it and see how many loops I can do. I'd be embarrassed to get a DNF :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.