Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My "handle" stands for "Off The Beaten Path"... essentially, I like to find trails, camp spots, and ski runs that are gems, which other people miss cause they stay on the beaten path.

With that said, if you're a little bored with the fun, but "same old, same old" trail from **** 8 to Browns Ravine, attached is a map with a few options to liven things up. These trails are fun, and will only get better with more regular riding on them.

From either direction, you can throw a good climb in, which of course adds a fun downhill. From Browns Ravine (heading to **** 8), I like to add the "blue loop", as it gives me some extra work and spits me out on the trail not far from where I left it. I've cleared away all but two trees on this section (anyone have a chainsaw?).

From **** 8 to Browns, the "red trail" gets your blood pumping on the way up, but you get to enjoy a really fun DH back to the main trail. There are also several offshoot trails here and there too.

Far as I can tell, the home owners between the main trail and Green Valley Rd. have developed better-than-primitive trails (probably with their horses). I know they get used, but I've never seen anyone on them.

If you want a tour guide or have questions, let me know. And if you want me to email you the bigger map I made, shoot me a PM. Otherwise, get out and ride it!

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Awesome!!

Nice, thanks for sharing this information.:thumbsup:

I'm always looking for a "new" trail and I've never ridden any of those!!

I'll have to check that area out after work sometime next week.:D

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,726 Posts
Yep,, ride those spurs all the time. Great fun on a SS. We also incorporate them into our Monday and Wednesday night rides to keep things fresh. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
In case you hadn't heard...

Brown's Ravine Trail is not legal to bikers. Riding it illegally hurts everyone for the future of having legal access to this trail system.

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,726 Posts
AK47 said:
Brown's Ravine Trail is not legal to bikers. Riding it illegally hurts everyone for the future of having legal access to this trail system.

Uh,,, check your facts. The section from **** 8 to the marina is totaly leagal to bikers. Anything past the marina is poaching.

·
Registered
783 Posts
zon said:
Uh,,, check your facts. The section from **** 8 to the marina is totaly leagal to bikers. Anything past the marina is poaching.

i second that, i ride from browns and on, into the horse territory, because horses rarely walk these trails, and i live just at the end of that trail near a cove. not quite sure exactly how i'm screwing it up for everyone, because the only people that get pissed are horse riders, and you can just cruise off the trail and give them plenty of room anyways

as for the "new" trails posted, they look worth checking out, never been around there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's another "new" route mapped out. Maybe you knew these trails were here, maybe you didn't. Overall, it's a nice change of pace from always riding lake trails, and there is great singletrack, good climbing, fast decents, and more opportunities for exploration. Enjoy!

(If the map is hard to read, PM me and I'll email you the larger version)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yep, my bad..!

I thought this write up included the Browns Ravine trail east of the Marina. Zon you are 100% correct that the **** 8 section is totally bike legal. Please accept my correction.

I will have to try these! Any idea on mileage for a typical ride on these trails?

I really appreciate the post on this, as I live over in The Parkway, and can ride right from my home for access.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AK47 said:
I will have to try these! Any idea on mileage for a typical ride on these trails?

I really appreciate the post on this, as I live over in The Parkway, and can ride right from my home for access.
Technically, going all the way over the hill is a short cut (e.g., going from D8 to BR you can usually get to the kiosk area faster than someone going the normal route). Mostly, they just add variety, healthy climbing and fun decending to your ride. Just doing the blue route might add a mile? You can incorporate all sorts of "figure 8's" into your ride and actually get a lot of miles and climbing in, without much trail repeat.

·
Registered
783 Posts
^^^ from that map, if you ride through waterford/safeway area, downhill from behind the market deli is much cooler then going down green valley into the marina.

just ride behind market deli (peak fitness, blockbuster) theres an offroad trail just hop the curb, its even bermed a little (although it could use more dirt), drops you off at the front of the marina entrance

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,726 Posts
otbp_nocal said:
Here's another "new" route mapped out. Maybe you knew these trails were here, maybe you didn't.

Now this is new stuff that looks to add variety to the local fun. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for posting the maps and info. :thumbsup:

otbp_nocal said:
Here's another "new" route mapped out. Maybe you knew these trails were here, maybe you didn't. Overall, it's a nice change of pace from always riding lake trails, and there is great singletrack, good climbing, fast decents, and more opportunities for exploration. Enjoy!

(If the map is hard to read, PM me and I'll email you the larger version)
Thanks for posting the maps and info. :thumbsup: PM sent....

·
site *****
101 Posts
Howdy Campers! (first post)

Me thinks there could be some good trails to add to this new mix along the rolling slope east of Sophia Parkway/Empire Ranch Rd. Couple creek crossings and one big gravel road, but there was lots of little trails there in the past...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EarlyBirdShops.com said:
Howdy Campers! (first post)

Me thinks there could be some good trails to add to this new mix along the rolling slope east of Sophia Parkway/Empire Ranch Rd. Couple creek crossings and one big gravel road, but there was lots of little trails there in the past...
It sure looks like you could go over the hill from Promontory Park to EDH Blvd via the powerlines, tap into the EDH Archery range trails somewhere, work down to/through the closed golf course, swing around/along near Hwy 50, and come back up (north) just east of Empire Ranch Rd back to Promontory Park. Not necessarity fun singletrack, but something to try... because it's there.

·
Registered
624 Posts
otbp_nocal said:
My "handle" stands for "Off The Beaten Path"... essentially, I like to find trails, camp spots, and ski runs that are gems, which other people miss cause they stay on the beaten path.

With that said, if you're a little bored with the fun, but "same old, same old" trail from **** 8 to Browns Ravine, attached is a map with a few options to liven things up. These trails are fun, and will only get better with more regular riding on them.
I did a little explore of the trails between **** 8 and Browns Ravine this afternoon. It WAS a nice change to do something new. You can tell that most of the side trails are getting little use. The poison oak is starting to take over these side trails in spots, so if you want to check them out, you better do so soon.

Here’s the MotionBased link: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=5365787#
Open Google Earth from Motion Based, and you’ll get a good map of the trails up there.

The rattlesnakes are starting to emerge. Yesterday, while we were biking on the American River Bike trail by Lake Natoma, my wife ran over a 4 inch long baby. Today, I almost ran over an adult on one of the side trails. :eekster: Everyone be careful out there!

Thanks for the info and map otbp_nocal!:thumbsup: >

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brainstump said:
I did a little explore of the trails between **** 8 and Browns Ravine this afternoon. It WAS a nice change to do something new. You can tell that most of the side trails are getting little use. The poison oak is starting to take over these side trails in spots, so if you want to check them out, you better do so soon.

Here’s the MotionBased link: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=5365787#
Open Google Earth from Motion Based, and you’ll get a good map of the trails up there.

Looks like you hit just about all of the trails/spurs up there. Kewl.

Time to start riding with clippers and long sleeves... poison oak is just a temporary problem. Easier to remove than some of them downed trees, quite frankly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Brainstump said:

The rattlesnakes are starting to emerge. Yesterday, while we were biking on the American River Bike trail by Lake Natoma, my wife ran over a 4 inch long baby. Today, I almost ran over an adult on one of the side trails. :eekster: Everyone be careful out there!

Yeah I was at Browns Ravine today at around 530. There were mosquetos everywhere. At one point I looked down and saw 5 on my arm!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I rode browns last sunday, I forget how kick @ss that trail is. That trail seems never to let me down. It is buffed out in sections and tech in others and faster you ride it the better it becomes.

Way better then salmon falls. does anyone Still ride salmon falls? and may i ask why? since mickey mouse got shut down there is no real reason to go there.

start at Edh purple place ride to falcon crest and then turn around, it doesn't get better then that.

It's the best trail in the Sacramento area including Auburn HANDS DOWN!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts