Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
mtb'er
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Slightly old news, but some very bad apples from the motocross world really went above and beyond stupidity, and now a horse is dead. Ain't cool. My condolences to the horse and it's owner... and I hope the idiots are caught. They were allegedly circling the equestrians and harrassing them. (Edited cause KCRA interview indicates they just sped by... a thread on ThumperTalk implicated that there was more to it).

KCRA video: https://www.kcra.com/news/18436790/detail.html

https://www.folsomtelegraph.com/detail/102636.html ... the comments are interesting as well

Horse spooked by motorcycles at Folsom Lake dies
Illegal dirt bike riders panicked horses
By Joyia Emard, Gold Country Media News Service

A horse was severely injured and had to be destroyed after being spooked by motorcycles being operated illegally at Folsom Lake on Saturday, Jan. 3.

The horse was owned by Newcastle resident Jeri Sust.

According to Sust, she and Barbara Heyward, of Loomis, had trailered their horses to Sterling Point in Loomis and were riding on a Folsom Lake trail at approximately 12:30 p.m., when three unknown riders on "dirt bikes" frightened the horses.

Apparently, the horses bolted and both riders were thrown. Sust hit her head in the fall, which broke her helmet, and both women suffered bruises and possible bruised ribs.

Toby, Sust's 4-year-old horse, suffered severe injuries to one of its legs and had to be euthanized by a veterinarian.

Richard Preston, supervising ranger at Folsom Lake State Recreation Area said, "We have a report in progress, we're investigating and we're working on a couple of leads."

Preston said it is illegal to operate off road dirt bikes in any part of the park and said that lower lake levels have contributed to an increase in this type of activity.

Courtesy:Jeri Sust is shown on her horse Toby in a recent photo taken at Folsom Lake. The horse had to be euthanized after he was spooked by dirt bike riders and suffered major injuries to one of his legs while on a Folsom Lake trail.
Thank goodness it wasn't mt. bikers...

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
So that is what was under the tarp at the second lot at GB on Sunday. We got there just after the rangers had covered it. We weren't sure what was under there. At the time, there was a truck with an ATV on the trailer. He must have helped them move the animal to there.

Good thing the riders were wearing helmets. That likely would have killed the rider who hit their head.

·
too late to die young now
342 Posts
sad event - more so if the comment about the mx'rs circling the horses is true (though it did not state this behavior in the article and so must be considered 'hearsay')

the one comment that 'it could have easily been a bike' is sad - especially since it seems to have come from a bicyclist. I wish they would not have posted that - would be best to share our condolences and keep bikes out of the conversation.

the best advice is how to approach a horse - any horse - stop where you are and ask in a polite tone of voice how the rider wants us to proceed. 90% of the time they will say 'no problem - ride on through', but we should always ask =)

the trails should be available to all - as long as we know how to interact appropriately with eachother

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
So after reading that article and a thread from a motorcycle site that a horse person came on and gave some more info...I wonder why the Rangers that have been patrolling the heck out of the other side of the lake, ie **** 8, Browns Ravine, and east, were not reassigned to the obviously more 'dangerous' side where major conflicts have been happening???!!
I understand they are understaffed, but maybe use the people they do have on staff more efficiently.

Obviously I don't know the full details of the state parks and how they assign personel, so maybe htey already are. But it sure seems like it couldn't be THAT hard to listen and locate some errant dirt bikers out there.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,826 Posts
Internal14 said:
So after reading that article and a thread from a motorcycle site that a horse person came on and gave some more info...I wonder why the Rangers that have been patrolling the heck out of the other side of the lake, ie **** 8, Browns Ravine, and east, were not reassigned to the obviously more 'dangerous' side where major conflicts have been happening???!!
Because mtn bikers are bootlegging that trail and the home owners are reporting them.....so they are obligated to patrol the area for those trail poachers.

Dirt bikes are Evil.........:thumbsup:

A quote from Horseygrrrl - "And for the record, horses have the right away when it comes to bikes or hikers. And to let you who do not ride horses know - proper ettiquette is to announce that you are coming - do not come racing up behind or towards riders - slow down and STOP until you are given ok to pass."

What about if the horse is galloping towards you and shows no sign of slowing down....what's a mtn biker to do in this situation?

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Funny, but all the trail signs show the Equestrian's and Bikers yielding to hikers.
Love how they don't know they're own rules.

Still bummer for Toby.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This thread proves once again proves my point. Horses are dangerous animals, and are not safe to be ridden around other people (even ridden at all) and should not be aloud on trails, not to mention the damage to trails

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
What about if the horse is galloping towards you and shows no sign of slowing down....what's a mtn biker to do in this situation?
Get out of the way. Regardless of who is "right" or "wrong" in that situation, it's a battle you lose against the horse.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
let me rewrite that for you.

person choosing to ride uncontrollable easily spooked animal in a public park is injured when thrown. blame is placed on nearby recreational land users who for some unknown reason dont enjoy the same rights as animal riders. responders were too lazy or proper care was too expensive to fix the animals injuries so it was killed instead. owner believes they dont share any portion of blame for the incident.

·
Registered
680 Posts
rox said:
let me rewrite that for you.

person choosing to ride uncontrollable easily spooked animal in a public park is injured when thrown. blame is placed on nearby recreational land users who for some unknown reason dont enjoy the same rights as animal riders. responders were too lazy or proper care was too expensive to fix the animals injuries so it was killed instead. owner believes they dont share any portion of blame for the incident.
If a horse breaks it's leg it has to be put down.I guess they can't walk on 3 legs so it's impossible for them to do anything with a broken leg.

but everything else, you are spot on

·
mtbr member
20 Posts
Toby

Terrible, avoidable tragedy. Hopefully someone comes forward, and (or) the leads that presently exist pan out and those illegal motocross riding "A"holes/idiots get what's coming to them. My condolences to owner/rider Jeri for her loss of Toby.

·
Registered
523 Posts
What the heck is wrong with people? I am sooooo sorry to hear this. There are no excuses, and I sincerely hope that whoever is responsible gets the living crap beat out of them before being turned over to the authorities.

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
themontashu said:
If a horse breaks it's leg it has to be put down.I guess they can't walk on 3 legs so it's impossible for them to do anything with a broken leg.
Horses are restless when injured and it is almost impossible for them to heal a broken leg - they spend about 22 hours a day standing and usually sleep standing up. They weigh so much that they can't handle standing on three legs for more than about 10 minutes. You can't force bed rest on them, and they can't survive for 2 months in a sling or hoist to support their weight. Poor guy.

Patty

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.