Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
The typical/average/etc. USA living space is larger, auto is larger, city is less dense and proportionally fewer use collective transit. I'm not in the industry and I don't have any numbers, but my impression is that the percent of folders in the bicycle population of North America is much lower than in Eurasia.

Dr. Hon got started in America, but his stated goal from the earliest days was to put the whole world on greener wheels.

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
Makes sense. I got mine to use for commuting. I live much too far to ride the whole way so I use the railroad. During rush hour, only folders are allowed on the train.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,337 Posts
Can't help but wonder about the advantages of folding bikes across most of the USA.

Honestly don't see many. If you do multi-modal transit like NYrr, yeah, it's obvious. Multi-modal simply isn't an option for me. Most cities' "public transit" networks are trash and therefore not really effective for anyone except those who simply cannot afford a more effective option. I've lived plenty of places where riding a bike 40+ miles round trip is a better option than taking the bus even part of that route.

Only other advantage of a folder is storage. I certainly don't have storage problems at home. Work might be a different story for some. But IME, most workplaces in the USA either have space for a full-sized bicycle or no bicycle at all. There aren't many workplaces where you have storage space for a folding bike specifically, but not a full-sized one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.