Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....How many folks are waiting on availability of the Kevlar beaded BFL/Nate/Floyd? (No Skinny Larry, Endo, Huskr, that I can tell)

If you are, why?

On other 26in tires a Kevlar bead saves about 100g's or so over steel.
Does 100g matter on something like a BFL? the molding "nubbinz" probably weigh 100g(sarcasm;))

How secure will the bead be at low pressures? Would less a less secure bead be worth a few grams?

Maybe for the folks determined to pack a fatbike into a travel case it would be nice to take the tires off the rim and actually fold them...?

In my defense, before I'm labeled a "hater," I'm really just trying to justify some new rubber. And the bike nerd in me hears Kevlar and want's it, but common sense fighting back.

Are they making folding tires just to placate people who think wire bead tires are for "Mart Bikes." Or is there going to be a substantial benefit?

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's also some people that would like to take extra tires with them on their pedaling travels, not just travel case instances, I suppose.

And ~200 grams rolling weight isn't something to necessarily discount, on any bike.

I care about neither myself... But when they're available, and my tires wear out, it'll probably be a "why not" extra expense. The tires are already $$$$$ so might as well get the best. Im not sure if there is any gain or loss in durability. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Lemme guess, you dont like carbon fiber because it breaks, you dont like thin tire casings because they split open, you pinch flat a lot, break frames, forks, taco rims, need 203mm rotors, have broken rails on saddles, etc.?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Well, they are out already. QBP sold out the first batch in 19 minutes, according to a Facebook post I saw addressing the subject.

I would surmise that a Kevlar beaded tire would be a bit more compliant, since the stiffness of a wire bead is gone, allowing the casing to "work" better. Also, folding bead tires in regular sizes are far easier to set up tubeless. (Not saying this will be the case with fat bike tires, but one could draw that parallel.)

Also, adventure riders using fat bikes now have the (much easier) option of packing a spare tire.

Those would be my reasons for thinking folding beads would be good. I could be wrong though.....

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
With the demand as high as it is, you'd think QBP would have given preference to Surly stocking dealers. Now they're out until January. I want two BFLs and one Nate but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I don't live next to the computer because I'm too busy WORKING.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
So....How many folks are waiting on availability of the Kevlar beaded BFL/Nate/Floyd? (No Skinny Larry, Endo, Huskr, that I can tell)

If you are, why?

On other 26in tires a Kevlar bead saves about 100g's or so over steel.
Does 100g matter on something like a BFL? the molding "nubbinz" probably weigh 100g(sarcasm;))

How secure will the bead be at low pressures? Would less a less secure bead be worth a few grams?

Maybe for the folks determined to pack a fatbike into a travel case it would be nice to take the tires off the rim and actually fold them...?

In my defense, before I'm labeled a "hater," I'm really just trying to justify some new rubber. And the bike nerd in me hears Kevlar and want's it, but common sense fighting back.

Are they making folding tires just to placate people who think wire bead tires are for "Mart Bikes." Or is there going to be a substantial benefit?
The only advantage I see is the ease of storage.

Given the same casing/tread construction a kevlar bead tire is only ~40g lighter than a wire bead tire.

You see bigger weight differences from some companies because their wire bead versions also use cheaper, heavier casings. Would be like Surly having the 27tpi tires only with a wire bead and the 120 tpi versions only with folding beads.

Once a tire is seated securely on the rim the bead material should not affect the performance of the casing or tread. The bead is there only to hold the tire on the rim.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
So, can the 27 verses 120 TPI be felt in any way? I've never really heard a definitive answer. Thanks
I have read many reports here of the difference, the 120 being more supple/smoother.

I can feel the diffence between low and high tpi casing in 2.0" tires. Low tpi casing can feel "dead" or harsh. The feel should be even more dramatic with fatties.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I got two BFLs at 1500gr and one Nate at 1440gr. One BFL might have a QC issue. I'm trying to determine if it is the tire or the rim that is causing it to blow off. It might be a combination. If my other BFL will mount up on the front rim and the other goes on the rear it should be fine. There are threads showing on the bead area for about a foot and that's where it always slips off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.