Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one has this problem too? I tried the green "Cat-Crap" they sell at REI. Still fog up to the point where I just took the google off. It is a Spy google that I got for 30 bucks at Gilroy's No Fear outlet store.

I am thinking to drill a few small holes at the top of the lens where it tends to fog up the most. Bad idea? (I dont care about warranty since it is not that expensive)

Usually I have a Fox Rampage full face on with the google, may be that is why the goggle isn't venting at the top vents as it should.

Any thoughts? Thanks

· Registered
680 Posts
Spit on the lenses?
I have a pair of MX goggles from Smith that have a built-in fan (powered by two AAA batteries). Small push-on push-off switch activates/deactivates the fan. This thing works freaking great for MX, never did any mtb with goggles but I assume it would work just as well.

· Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, faster might help. I usually have my google on for DJ which tends to fog up after 10 minutes or so. But same thing happens when I am riding down Braille, fog up a little after the tree drop. And this is the faster section at braille too.

Second occasion that I ride with goggle is during those sub-30 degrees morning, again halfway thru the ride, it fogs up. Not as bad as while dj, but blur up the vision still.

so you guys dont recommend drilling a few breathing holes at the top part of the lens?

· Fat Guy Riding
876 Posts
Loll said:
Yes, faster might help. I usually have my google on for DJ which tends to fog up after 10 minutes or so. But same thing happens when I am riding down Braille, fog up a little after the tree drop. And this is the faster section at braille too.

Second occasion that I ride with goggle is during those sub-30 degrees morning, again halfway thru the ride, it fogs up. Not as bad as while dj, but blur up the vision still.

so you guys dont recommend drilling a few breathing holes at the top part of the lens?
FYI, I was joking. My goggles fog up all the time because I'm so slow. :)

· Registered
410 Posts
I had a pair of Fox MX goggles and used cat crap on them and eventually drilled a bunch of 1/16" holes all along the top which helped a lot. The best solution however was simply getting a pair of ski/board goggles and they have worked far better. Good luck!

· Registered
943 Posts
beaverbiker said:
nothing will work with cheaper goggles. if you splurge for the nice ones, you won't have much fogging. check out the oakley crowbars.
i was gona say the same. my experience with fog and goggles is more with winter sports but if anything thats a more difficult fog situation

i have a nicer pair of spys that were around 90 and this is thier 2nd season and seem to be working great

two lenses is part of what helps them i think thers a vent that leads into the space btwn them

also, you want to make sure that, if possible, moisture from your helmet is not being directed into your goggles...a well ventilating helmet will help

· Lusus Naturae
2,861 Posts
I have the same problem with my sunglasses, which wrap around more than usual. You just deal with it, wipe the fog of or ignore it until you're rolling fast enough to have it clear up with the wind. Now if you have a fully enclosed situation, perhaps cut some gaps in the side padding to allow the air to circulate.

· Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
I tried the drilling technique on a cheap pair of clear lens glasses and found that, even tho I drilled the holes high on the lens, I was still looking thru & around the holes because of the angle of my head when I was riding the bike.

Just make sure you have plenty of room at the top of the lens to do the drilling, first, that's all I'm sayin'.

· What would Pimpbot do?
358 Posts
I picked this alias for obvious reasons, my real name is Kirk. There are much better climbers than me on this forum. The obvious guys, Menso, Beaverbiker, on and on and on and on, drop me easily.

I dip the sunglasses to the tip of my nose during long climbs to clear them.

Never forget this quote about fit people. It is from the TV show, Eastbound and Down.

Triathlageek - You're not the only athlete here...I'm happening to be training for a TRIATHLON, doing a lot of running, cycling, swimming. Well, you know a lot about that.

Kenny Powers- No, actually I don't, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising.

That sentiment led to a BBQ and beer frenzy that cost me 5 minutes on my Kennedy time and 5 pounds. I will be sure to stay fit enough to bring the keg every effin Turkey Day if it kills me. I think Kenny would approve.

· Natural body armor
2,170 Posts
Any goggles will fog after hard effort at low/no speed: it's physics and you can't do much about it.
I've been using light goggles from Bertoni (which sponsors me, so be aware I'm biased) as well as some glasses from their anti-fog line and seem to work pretty well.
The AF79 was originally developed for skydiving/hang-gliding, so there's isn't much sweating going on (unless the parachute doesn't open) and these have some holes strategically placed: I'm working with them to improve this model with more airflow to meet mountain biking requirements.

The antifog will prevent fogging, but if you are really steaming, then little droplets will condense on the surface, so you'll see thru a wet lenses. If it's pouring, or you're flying thru puddles of mud, probably this is better than having your eyes clogged with mud.

I like a lot also this model F120A, which I think has better ventilation: see review here.

PS: Kirk, I'm glad you're ok, I thought this thread was about you....

· Lusus Naturae
2,861 Posts
Zen, this thread reminded me of the LSS race ... I could hardly see out of my glasses most of the time, although it cleared up once I would gain enough speed for the air to circulate. I'm sorta getting used to riding half-blind during the winter months.

· Natural body armor
2,170 Posts
NoBalance said:
Zen, this thread reminded me of the LSS race ... I could hardly see out of my glasses most of the time, although it cleared up once I would gain enough speed for the air to circulate. I'm sorta getting used to riding half-blind during the winter months.
Luke Skywalker: But with the blast shield down, I can't even see! How am I supposed to fight?
Ben Kenobi: Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them.

· Registered
94 Posts
On my Army Eye Protection (which was TA-50, I loved using those for riding... ), we used toothpaste as anti-fog during the winter in Spokane, WA. Just put a tiny dab on your finger, and rub it all over until you can rub it clean. Works like a charm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.