Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is going to buy a new frame in the next week or so. He has it narrowed down to the foes fxr (5 or 6 inch travel), turner 5-spot, or the titus motolite . He is leaning towards the foes, but still is undecide. He asked me for my opinion but I don't know much about the above bikes. I would love hear some pros, and cons. I can remember seeing a comparision thread with the 5-spot and motolite a while back,which I am going to try and find the thread. Any additional info would be much appreciated. throw any ideas out that you think might help in the decision.
Thanks, Bunk

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I own a motolite (for XC) and turner RFX (which I use for FR). I've also had my RFX built up with 5" rockers, which makes it basically a heavy-duty 5-spot. Also ride with a guy who's got a spot....ridden his bike some. I haven't ridden foes- talked to some guys who owned them and weren't real happy.

Anyways.

Titus and Turner both make great bikes. The spot and motolite are actually a lot different despite looking similar on paper. First, the fit and geometry are different. The 'spot has slacker angles and shorter seat tubes compared to the motolite. I'd suggest measuring your bro's current bike to see how the numbers compare to the titus & turner geometry. The titus works better for riders with longer inseams. Then the feel- the titus feels firm and racy. The turner feels plush and confidence inspiring. I'd say the titus climbs&pedals slightly better and the turner feels better going DH and more at home tackling jumps and stunts. the turner has a secret FR streak. The turner also has great bushings and killer tire clearance. There's no overlooking the titus is $600 cheaper and still extremly high quality workmanship.

If your bro could fit either bike, then it ccomes down to riding style and cash. They're both killer bikes, you can't go wrong.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
ML Baby!!!

The Moto-Lite is simply an amazing bike "FACT"! It handels like it's part of your own body, pedals, well there just arn't words. And it's hard for me to imagin a bike that truly descends or takes jumps and drops any better with fewer compramises every where else. In fact I've "NEVER" felt I was lacking in any way in climbing, descending and particularly jumping, and dropping

The 5spots a fine bike, but I think the handling might be a little slow for where I ride. For me the ML is just the perfict weapon. I've also been very impressed with the Foes, and would love for that bike to turn out to be all it's cracked up to be. Though that bike "is" heavy...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Titus - Ventana X5

farmboybunk said:
My brother is going to buy a new frame in the next week or so. He has it narrowed down to the foes fxr (5 or 6 inch travel), turner 5-spot, or the titus motolite . He is leaning towards the foes, but still is undecide. He asked me for my opinion but I don't know much about the above bikes. I would love hear some pros, and cons. I can remember seeing a comparision thread with the 5-spot and motolite a while back,which I am going to try and find the thread. Any additional info would be much appreciated. throw any ideas out that you think might help in the decision.
Thanks, Bunk
I would not think twice about getting a Titus. It is a great bike that pedals as efficiently as few do and can handle a lot of abuse. Plus it is built great, it has bombproof bearings and it is VERY competitevely priced.
Forget the 5-spot, they dropped the horst link this year to make a bit more profit and the bike is just not the same ... given the so-so built I would suggest a Kona: same performance/quality at half the price. Tell your friend to go with a Ventana X-5 if he wants a wonderfully bilt faux-bar that can handle abuse.
Never tried the Foes ... :confused:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Here we go again - Davide found another place to bash the bike he owns.

I have no expereience with Foes, but they seem burly as hell and are notoriously stiff, laterally speaking. I'd love to try one.

I have demo'ed a few Titus bikes, and like them alot. I love the welds - really nice work. The motolite is tough to beat on price to quality and performance.

I have owned 2 Turners and love them. No compaints. I love them for the geometry and handling - they fit me and the type of riding I do well.

You've got test ride. A degree difference in the geometry of a bike makes a huge difference in feel. Identify what you'll be using it for, specifically, and then test, test, test. Buy the one that feels right to you - and you'll know it when you ride it. Advice from random folk on the internet is worth a very tiny grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
So, so build of a Turner????

Davide said:
I would not think twice about getting a Titus. It is a great bike that pedals as efficiently as few do and can handle a lot of abuse. Plus it is built great, it has bombproof bearings and it is VERY competitevely priced.
Forget the 5-spot, they dropped the horst link this year to make a bit more profit and the bike is just not the same ... given the so-so built I would suggest a Kona: same performance/quality at half the price. Tell your friend to go with a Ventana X-5 if he wants a wonderfully bilt faux-bar that can handle abuse.
Well, at least you keep me laughing. The Turner Faux is built very nicely. The machining and tolerances are both top notch and are a step above most other manufacturers, and Kona is one of them. Not to mention that little thing that makes Turner unique; BUSHINGS that are very user friendly and they also last longer than bearings.

I was wondering, can a guy trade in a used Kona, no matter what shape it is in; for a good discount on a new frame? I heard that you can do this with a Turner.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
So, so build of a Turner????

Davide said:
Well, at least you keep me laughing. The Turner Faux is built very nicely. The machining and tolerances are both top notch and are a step above most other manufacturers, and Kona is one of them. Not to mention that little thing that makes Turner unique; BUSHINGS that are very user friendly and they also last longer than bearings.

I was wondering, can a guy trade in a used Kona, no matter what shape it is in; for a good discount on a new frame? I heard that you can do this with a Turner. :p

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys. FM, the comparision with the geometery was very usefully, sense he will not have a chance to "swing his butt" on any of the rides (he's going mail order, we live in the middle of no where Nevada:rolleyes: ). If you have any other thoughts, keep them coming. They help us look at other aspects that we had not thought of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.