Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve been following this thread as I’m building up a RB29 currently. Anybody run a 44mm offset fork or DPX2 shock? I would be curious to get your feedback on shock tune and/or steering. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For all the years of riding and shop tuning as a bike mechanic I always recommend someone to set the suspension to factory recommendations to start and ajust to your liking from there. I always try to get a balanced feel front to back so one isnt ramping up faster or delay in rebound makes a weird ride

·
The dark side is quicker
182 Posts
I had the 46mm offset MRP on mine, didn't feel bad. Just switched to the 51mm Pike....doesn't feel bad either. Maybe its just in my head but the 46 seemed to corner a touch better being an XL frame??? But who really knows? LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I’m sure I’m overthinking it. I decided to just to stick with the recommended offset of 51 & pulled the trigger on a DVO Diamond to match the Topaz out back. Can’t wait to get it built.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Post a picture when you get it. I havent decided do I get the ridgeback or do I get the mixer trail :-/

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's a great looking bike. Live anywhere near the poconos in pa? Also where you considering the mixer trail as well. What made you go full 29 not mixed if so. I called foes and they suggested me to be in the mixer trail... between both bikes theres nothing but good things I hear so it's even harder now to choose. Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in Maine. I’ve ridden my hardtail with the mullet setup so I could run a plus tire out back. It worked really well & made sense on a hardtail so the rear wouldn’t be as harsh on the rough NE trails. I just prefer the standard set up for my FS rig. Depends on your riding style, I suppose. Ridgeback for long epics & flat out speed or Mixer trail if you want some thing a little more playful or are a more aggressive rider & like to hit all the features on the trail. Seeing that the Mixer is designed for the mullet set up, I don’t think you could go wrong either way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So we have similar trail systems roots rocks. I plan to ride a bike with the family on fire roads and rail to trails and over the road just a few miles from my house to my local trail system then back home and then just the normal single track. I'm more of an xc/trail rider then trail/enduro. So that is why I was looking first at the ridgeback but when I called foes they suggested the mixer trail specifically there new hall of fame build up. I've never ridden any new bike geos before I'm coming off of 26 been riding for 26 years on 26er and my last bike I hated for 10 years of riding it and dont want to make the same mistake. It was more dh then trail to much travel had 6 inches front rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would call myself a trail rider through & through. XC speed but not afraid to boost a feature if it arises. Sounds like the ridge back may be more suited to your writing style, IMHO. Allows you the versatility to build it up how you want without having to run a wheelset that doesn’t buying 2 sizes or a custom build. Again, I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Pick which one you think is best, build it and ride it…. Not to complicate it, but the ridgeback 27.5 maybe the Goldilocks bike for you

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder 27.5 frame mullet build. These bikes have 133mm rear travel what's the fork length the 27.5 would run if its built for a 150 then a 130 with 29 front wheel would keep the same geo. I like their mixer but way to much travel 130 is more then I need. Plus ridgeback gets water bottles their mixer does not. What's thoughts on a 27.5 ridgeback mullet 29 build?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve found it’s usually best to stick with what the frame was designed for. They’ve engineered the mixer to be run with the mullet setup whereas a mullet RB 27.5 on paper may work, but may not ride as well as it could or as designed. I believe you can run a travel reducer in the DVO topaz if you want to run les than 135 rear travel. My RB29 is set up with a 160mm Diamond upfront. While it is arguably more fork than I need, it handles awesome. If all else fails, reach out to the folks at Foes. I’ve found them to be very responsive & happy to answer any questions. I was considering running a 44mm offset fork instead of the recommend 51mm. They were super cool about answering my questions and the reasoning behind their recommendations.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just got a 29 Ridgeback and am going to build it up this week. What's the best way to run the dropper?

·
Registered
12 Posts
With a lot of patience and a couple of drinks... Internal routing can be a challenge. I didn’t have enough spare cable length for the housing to slide over so I made sure I had plenty of cable housing and bent a small 90 deg angle on the end. From there, I started from the top of the seat tube and worked it down the seat tube and around till I could see the end at the bottom and then grabbed it with a set of long needle nosed pliers. Cut the 90 deg angle off & then installed the cable & dropper.

·
The dark side is quicker
182 Posts
With a lot of patience and a couple of drinks....
THIS ^^^^ lol

I ran a cable from the bottom up, then slid the housing down and through the "tiny" hole in the frame. Once exposed, I had a long zip-tie (pre-looped) ready to grab the housing and pulled from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found using a long paint stir-stick quite effective at guiding the cable housing to the correct side of the pivot that passes through the seat tube.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok, got it built and a couple rides under it's belt. Dropper was a pain. 32 pounds, 2.6 Nobby Nics, Manitou Mezzer 160 (may be a bit tall), 12 speed XT. So far so good.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts