Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
The dark side is quicker
182 Posts
FINALLY!!!

And sorry for the delayed updates.
I have about 150 miles on mine now....WOW!!!
This is the feeling I have been chasing for many years. When I talked to Bobby about getting one, I mentioned how much I used to love my SC Bullit, but wanted something that could also climb. The Ridgeback does not disappoint in any way.

I have mine setup with a 150mm MRP Ribbon coil fork and the DVO Topaz air shock. Thinking about the DVO Coil though.

Sadly, I have not had a chance to get it out in the mtns.
They were all covered in snow and mud; didnt want to be an A$$ and go destroy the trails. Then, I got sick...almost over it though.

But, from my initial parking lot ride, it is exactly what I was looking for; soft off the top and ramps up nice. Coming from a long line of trail bikes, but most recently a SC Hightower. Will post more after I get out.
Foes.jpg

·
wheelie king
614 Posts
Thanks! It weighs 30.7lbs. Nothing on the bike is particularly light so I'm pleased with that. The only carbon bit on the bike is the handlebar.
Dang, that's good. What other bikes have you ridden and how does the RB compare? I'm torn between this and some other carbon 29ers for my next bike.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I used to work at a bike shop that sold Norco, Scott, Devinci, Pivot, Salsa and Orbea. The Split Pivot bikes pedal amazingly. The single pivot bikes pedal well enough, but usually rely on the shock's platform to keep from bobbing. The Ridgeback is a bike that rewards a rider who doesn't do much spinning up the hill. The harder you pedal, the less the suspension bobs. As far as the bike's weight, I tend to enjoy riding a heavier bike on the downhill. It feels more stable to me. You don't tend to get thrown off line as easily in my opinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They’re up on the website now. Not sure how long they’ve been up, so not sure this is actually news.

Dealer direct pricing now tho! $1999 frames... not only the Ridgeback.

Game on!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Picked up my Ridgeback today. Wanted to run a DB inline but they don't make the size so I'm going to try to collect the parts and build it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Provisional build with a clapped out fox 34 up front and a fox float rear shock (all I could find in the configuration) came in 30lb 2oz with a Sella Anatomica for fat boys saddle. Having a new boost front Hadley/Velocity wheel built to fit new the Helm fork. So far loving the bike on Sedona trails, hoping to love it more with the new front end.
Picked up my Ridgeback today. Wanted to run a DB inline but they don't make the size so I'm going to try to collect the parts and build it tomorrow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Provisional build with a clapped out fox 34 up front and a fox float rear shock (all I could find in the configuration) came in 30lb 2oz with a Sella Anatomica for fat boys saddle. Having a new boost front Hadley/Velocity wheel built to fit new the Helm fork. So far loving the bike on Sedona trails, hoping to love it more with the new front end.
Yo where are the pics??

·
Registered
15 Posts
So what's a long term review on this ridgeback 29 I'm looking at this bike the geurilla gravity trail pistol and the reeb sqweeb buying only usa build need an efficient uphill pedaler that's all I have is up then down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
DFE295C7-7CC2-416D-8C3A-D0F8A3D89B6E.jpeg

Spot on geo for long days in the saddle. Like a previous poster stated, very active and supple early in the travel and ramps up nice. Leverage kinematics are significantly different to my previous Foes, in a good way. With the Ridgeback I don’t feel like I’m sitting on top of the travel, if that makes sense. The DVO Topaz is a great shock for this. Easy to set up and you can just leave it. In regards to climbing steeps, the 66 HTA is perfect; it doesn’t wander at all, and that’s with a 160mm fork.

Descending... no need to discuss. This is what Foes bikes have been doing well for 25 years. Difference between driving a 4runner and a Landcruiser.

Weight prolly isn’t a factor for you if you’re looking between the Foes, Reeb, and GG, but my Ridgeback is exactly the weight they stated out of the box; 7.4 lbs. with the Topaz. I was looking at GG as well, and found it comical that they state the weight of their frames without a rear shock... Topaz is .87 lbs. so this setup on a GG would be toggling around 8 lbs. And that’s before you have to strap on a bunch of frame saver carbon protective crud to protect from scrapes and scratches. In the world of metal bikes, we call that “character”.

·
The dark side is quicker
182 Posts
Just over 2 years on mine and still love it!

I recently "re-invented" mine as well....when new I built it up as a heavy trail bike (Coil fork, wide wheels, DH tires, etc.). But, I have now switched to a Pike ultimate (150mm), lightened up wheels, tires and even switched to all Shimano 12 speed drive trail. OMG!!! Im in love with it again!

I work at a shop so I get to demo all our brands, most recently the new Ibis Ripley and Devinci Troy. I would put the Ridgeback up against them any day. The Ripley does climb a bit better, but the Foes destroys it in the downhill sections.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I only plan to run 140mm fork if I went with it built as light as possible. I use to work at a bike shop. I havent rode in two years besides in my driveway and pump track my kids finally getting into his balance bike at 2.5 so I'm hoping to get back riding. What size would you say. I'm 5 10 31 inch inseam 24 inch arm reach I'm mostly tall on top.. the ridgeback looks like a great bike. Idk about carbon I live with sharp rocks. Hate to kill it and aluminum doesn't come apart.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m not positive, but pretty sure the spec’d geo was based on a 140mm fork. 5’10” and 30” inseam here and the medium is perfect for me.

Same here... a lot of carbon-chewing granite out in the hills I mash around in.

Also, it should be noted that a 29 x 2.6 enduro WT tire works well in the rear... a bikepacking 29 x 2.6 like the Teravail fits... but is too close to the stays and would most likely rub.

The 29 can be set up as a plus bike as well with a 27.5 x 2.8 (Teravail; same footprint, but much greater volume than standard 2.8s).

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I've only had my 27.5 ridgeback for a few months but I'm loving it. I was choosing between the same 3 models as you and went with the Foes due to my experiences with 5 of his bikes previously and because the weights are so close. I'm running the cane creek fork in the default travel setting and wide open on compression and rebound, it matches the 133mm rear very well. I bought my frame without a shock and purchased a fox air shock from Jensen and it has been set and forget.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's crazy how this bike seems to be a very good bike yet why no one really talks about it? I always wondered like bike car companies and such do the bike brand bikes buy their name into the media

61 - 80 of 108 Posts