Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Great pics and great post!! Congrats on the bike and build - looks awesome and no surprise that it is a blast to ride. Keep posting up tweaks and improvements to the build, as well as ride impressions - always love to hear these.

Welcome to the tribe!

E

·
Registered
131 Posts
Recently built with 4 rides (@ 50 miles) on it now...

FoesMixerTrail.jpg

Large 2016 Foes Mixer Trail
  • DVO Diamond
  • Cane Creek 40 Headset
  • DVO Topaz T3 Rear Shock
  • Hope Race EVO E4 disc brakes
  • Hope floating disc rotors
  • WTB Pure V Race saddle
  • Thomson seatpost
  • Thomson 50mm stem w/ Thomson top cap
  • Thomson carbon riser handlebar
  • Revolution suspension grips
  • Hope crankset
  • Hope 30mm BB
  • Oneup Components 32T chainring
  • Shimano XTR cassette
  • SRAM X9 2.1 rear derailleur
  • KMC chain
  • SRAM X9 Trigger shifter
  • NS Enigma Dynamal Roll 30mm internal width rims
  • Hadley hubs
  • Sapim CX ray spokes
  • Maxxis Ardent 2.4 tires (F&R) tubeless w/ Stans tape & sealant
  • Time ATAC MX8 pedals
  • 30.25lbs with pedals

Cockpit is spot on for me...still tuning the shocks to my liking...and getting the feel for maneuvering/handling with the bigger wheels as I have only ridden 26ers since I started riding mtb's back in '03...but my initial impression is just WOW!

The rear suspension is really an improvement over the Curnutt designed frames. Overall it feels smoother, especially small bump sensitivity & over trail chatter and seems to track better giving it better traction. The DVO Topaz in the most firm T3 lever setting feels very close to as good as the Curnutt platform in terms of limiting pedal induced bob only it's smoother on impacts, tracks the ground better and there's no pedal kickback/bucking on square edge impacts.

I'm equally impressed with all the components I selected. Extremely happy with the wheelset - been wanting Hadley hubs for a long time - they're buttery smooth with near instant engagement; superb. I've been riding carbon rims for the past 4-5 years and with the NS rims I haven't once wished I had carbon rims. But, one component I'm not really grooving with is the Maxxis Ardent up front - it doesn't seem to hook up well on the corners and wants to wash out if I push it fast/hard into turns. It's exceptional as a rear tire but I'm going to switch out the front Ardent with something else ASAP.

Really blown away by this bike, can't wait to ride it more and get it dialed in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks fxr man...glad to be part of the Mixer tribe...your Mixer is killer too, very nice build!

Fresh bath after my ride today...

FoesMixerTrail2.jpg

More I ride it more I like it!

·
Got rocks?
823 Posts
This thing really has me intrigued. I don’t like the pedaling feel of 29’s but like the roll over. How are these in tight techy trails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
This thing really has me intrigued. I don’t like the pedaling feel of 29’s but like the roll over. How are these in tight techy trails?

Thats the beauty of this design the rear wheel follows and tracks like a 26 inch bike. You don't even know its there. But your still benefiting from the qualities of the 29 er wheel up front. I have raced full 29ers and there great except you can feel the big wheel in the back. It appears that mountain bikes won't adapt to the geometry that motorcycles have had for years . Foes is on the right track. I just don't think the bike industry will get it after the so called 69 er years, it installed a belief that the smaller wheel in the back doesn't work because there wheel sizes where to far apart . Motocross bikes would never use the same two wheel size front and back and never have to my knowledge . I found out the UCI will not allow 2 different wheel sizes in there races. WHY ? Bicycles have gotten closer and closer to following what motocross bikes are today they are missing the wheel size though. Foes mixer just works. I do wish it was in carbon. I love mine .

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree, the motoX design works extremely well.
I'm very impressed with the Mixer overall. And yes it's great in tight, twisty tech sections...great on technical terrain in general.
IMO it turns better than any bike regardless of wheel size.
Aluminum frame is actually a plus in my mind, but to each their own.
Getting mine geared up for Enduro and XC racing soon, very excited!

·
Registered
15 Posts
How does this thing pedal up hills and handle all day single track rides? I'm also looking at the new ridgeback any thoughts? I like the mixed wheel it seems to be a true thing not a made up this is better thing. And can see why it's not very popular because big brands really arent marketing it and I think a lot of reviewers from big bike review places get paid to say one bikes better then another my feelings. And places like foes dont really push their products it's a word of mouth type sales approach. But I can tell you was looking at geurilla gravity trail bike as well but I like aluminum better havent snapped a metal frame in half yet like I've seen carbon break. What would be better for Pennsylvania wooded rocky single track with lots of ups and downs the mixer trail or the ridgeba k with is full 29ner

·
Registered
358 Posts
How does this thing pedal up hills and handle all day single track rides? I'm also looking at the new ridgeback any thoughts? I like the mixed wheel it seems to be a true thing not a made up this is better thing. And can see why it's not very popular because big brands really arent marketing it and I think a lot of reviewers from big bike review places get paid to say one bikes better then another my feelings. And places like foes dont really push their products it's a word of mouth type sales approach. But I can tell you was looking at geurilla gravity trail bike as well but I like aluminum better havent snapped a metal frame in half yet like I've seen carbon break. What would be better for Pennsylvania wooded rocky single track with lots of ups and downs the mixer trail or the ridgeba k with is full 29ner
I have no issues with climbing on this bike . It is a very efficient climber. I have been riding the crap out of mine for over 4 years . It is the correct geometry for me . I always new the smaller tire in the rear is the correct way to build a bike. Just follow Moto, all my Ktm's all have 21 inch front 18 inch rear. The Moto industry knew this for years. The bicycles are finally learning, the bike industry has been behind for years, Now these bikes look and feel like motocross motorcycles . Its a tricky market and mountain bike riders are trendy. When Trek came out with the 69er it was to much of a wheel size difference and that shot the idea back years. I dont really care what the trend is . I know from 30 years of riding motorcycles and bicycles this is the correct set up. If Your not sure try one if You can .

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any one live near the poconos in pa that would let me try a leg on a mixer trail?
Hope you get a chance to try one...I bought my Trail w/o a demo and have 0 regrets.
Climbing is pretty amazing actually, especially up tech rocky/rooty sections. It may not be the fastest up ascents but it has amazing control and traction to get over tough obstacles. The motoX design makes lifting the front end very easy to scale large obstacles, but it stays planted when you need it, doesn't wander. At 220lbs geared up I can out climb a lot of weight wennies on the tech climbs - as I have done on numerous races - but not going to keep up on smooth fire road climb obviously. For me climbing on my Mixer trail is a lot of fun and rewarding.
Overall it's just an absolute blast to ride and is very versatile, can be set up for all day trail riding or enduro.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in central PA.

I used to try to MTB quite a bit back around '98-'05. Had a hardtail 26er with NORBA geometry back then. Switched to road biking then to trail running. Got tired of rolling ankles and took the old bike out onto the trails. Was able to put bigger tires on it then I had on it back in the day. Found I could ride pretty good. But, a 18 year old bike is........well, a 18 y/o bike. So I started looking for a new one.

I was able to demo or test several bikes including two of the Guerilla Gravity bikes on parking lot rides, a Specialized Stumpy, and a Giant Stance or Trance. The Giant was a 27.5.

I spent a lot of time setting up the Stumpy and Giant because I was able to get them on the trails I actually ride. The Stumpy just seemed to wallow along and handled "heavy". It just seemed like I was perched on top of it. The GG bikes had somewhat of the same feel but still were more lively. The Giant didn't have much better roll over then my old 26er. The GG bikes handled better then both when jumping curbs and tight turns in the parking lot.

So I was all set to order a GG bike when they did their updates in January of 2019. Then they quit making Aluminum. I don't want a carbon MTB. So then I had to go looking and riding season was coming up.

Then I stumbled onto Foes. Did a lot of research and decided to take a chance on the Trail Mixer.

I got it set up with DVO suspenison. The Topaz3 and a Sapphire up front. That's all I got through Foes, building the rest of it up myself. I'll spare the fine details on the build with the exception of the Tires. I'm running a 2.8 Terrene Mcfly upfront and a 2.6 Maxxis Recon in the back. Tubeless of course. I run pressures between 15-18 lbs with less in the front then the rear.

I mostly ride in the area of R.B. Winters and have been on most, if not all of the trails that are on MtBproject.com. That includes some of the trails with a lot of long rock gardens like Old Tram and Top Mountain. I'm very pleased with how it handles on the rocks. Much better roll over then the Stumpy and Giant. To tell the truth the Stumpy was not much better then my 26er HT. When it's time to climb on the trails it does better then my much lighter 26er, it just feels snappy when getting on the pedals. I also will ride some over at the Rattling Creek trails in the Lykens area and want to get up to Rothrock sometime this year.

Overall I'm sold on the Mixer concept especially when a bike is designed from the ground up for that.

The one thing that I do not like about it is the way the shock is mounted. You can't mount a waterbottle on the frame. I don't really mind a pack but I think I would ride lighter without one. At the same time 1 or 2 water bottles won't get me very far so for any ride over 15 miles, and mine all are I'd be taking a pack anyway.

So hopefully that helps you somewhat. I would not be afraid of ordering one without a Demo. If you get a bike from any of the smaller builders, chances are you will have to order it without a Demo because here in PA most people just get bikes from whatever shop(s) is close to them.

Sorry about the long dissertation. I work in healthcare and routinely get exposed to COVID. Just spiked a fever yesterday and am locked in my bedroom with too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh yea, I forgot to mention. The other day I took it down Grosse's Gap trail up in the R.B. Winter's area. I don't think that's on MTBProject. But it's steep. According to my Polar GPS measurements from top to bottom, about 8/10ths of a mile, it averages 20%. There are some areas that may be 25% or more and it's a typical PA woods trail which is to say, not smooth and with a lot of trees to dodge. I'm 55 years old and NOT a downhiller by any means. Yea I had to hang on tight, but never once did I feel totally out of control. Just dropped the seatpost, shifted back and directed to bike to where I wanted to go and go it did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey I hear ya my wife and mom both work I. The hospital er and radiology double masks and double gloves and change in the garage well I hope you dont have it and get better. Thanks for the long info helped out
I live in cen

I used to try to MTB quite a bit back around '98-'05. Had a hardtail 26er with NORBA geometry back then. Switched to road biking then to trail running. Got tired of rolling ankles and took the old bike out onto the trails. Was able to put bigger tires on it then I had on it back in the day. Found I could ride pretty good. But, a 18 year old bike is........well, a 18 y/o bike. So I started looking for a new one.

I was able to demo or test several bikes including two of the Guerilla Gravity bikes on parking lot rides, a Specialized Stumpy, and a Giant Stance or Trance. The Giant was a 27.5.

I spent a lot of time setting up the Stumpy and Giant because I was able to get them on the trails I actually ride. The Stumpy just seemed to wallow along and handled "heavy". It just seemed like I was perched on top of it. The GG bikes had somewhat of the same feel but still were more lively. The Giant didn't have much better roll over then my old 26er. The GG bikes handled better then both when jumping curbs and tight turns in the parking lot.

So I was all set to order a GG bike when they did their updates in January of 2019. Then they quit making Aluminum. I don't want a carbon MTB. So then I had to go looking and riding season was coming up.

Then I stumbled onto Foes. Did a lot of research and decided to take a chance on the Trail Mixer.

I got it set up with DVO suspenison. The Topaz3 and a Sapphire up front. That's all I got through Foes, building the rest of it up myself. I'll spare the fine details on the build with the exception of the Tires. I'm running a 2.8 Terrene Mcfly upfront and a 2.6 Maxxis Recon in the back. Tubeless of course. I run pressures between 15-18 lbs with less in the front then the rear.

I mostly ride in the area of R.B. Winters and have been on most, if not all of the trails that are on MtBproject.com. That includes some of the trails with a lot of long rock gardens like Old Tram and Top Mountain. I'm very pleased with how it handles on the rocks. Much better roll over then the Stumpy and Giant. To tell the truth the Stumpy was not much better then my 26er HT. When it's time to climb on the trails it does better then my much lighter 26er, it just feels snappy when getting on the pedals. I also will ride some over at the Rattling Creek trails in the Lykens area and want to get up to Rothrock sometime this year.

Overall I'm sold on the Mixer concept especially when a bike is designed from the ground up for that.

The one thing that I do not like about it is the way the shock is mounted. You can't mount a waterbottle on the frame. I don't really mind a pack but I think I would ride lighter without one. At the same time 1 or 2 water bottles won't get me very far so for any ride over 15 miles, and mine all are I'd be taking a pack anyway.

So hopefully that helps you somewhat. I would not be afraid of ordering one without a Demo. If you get a bike from any of the smaller builders, chances are you will have to order it without a Demo because here in PA most people just get bikes from whatever shop(s) is close to them.

Sorry about the long dissertation. I work in healthcare and routinely get exposed to COVID. Just spiked a fever yesterday and am locked in my bedroom with too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It sounds like both treads for the mixer and the ridgeback people really love. I was on the phone with foes and the mixer will have the dvo coil now as a special coming up. And the new mixer does look good their hall of fame build

·
Registered
83 Posts
It sounds like both treads for the mixer and the ridgeback people really love. I was on the phone with foes and the mixer will have the dvo coil now as a special coming up. And the new mixer does look good their hall of fame build
I have a hall of fame edition on order. The frame was done a couple weeks ago, but there is a five week delay on the i9 wheelset. I'm looking at mid-July. They offered to change the wheels to Stans they have in stock, but I really want the i9s and plan to keep it for a while. I was also looking hard at Guerilla Gravity having ridden a few, but chose to stick with AL. My new bike will be #42 out of 50. As we all know, "42" is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. I can't wait.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts