Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. I would like to learn more before I buy a bike, in fact I love spending too much time reading about bikes. I have been reading up on the Mixer and living in Denver can go test ride one at Timberline.

Problem is the Foes has zero marketing skills. Foes has about 8500 likes on their facebook page, a similar but much younger company guerrilla gravity has 14,000 likes. The mixer has been in the last two MB Action magazines with just a picture, no review. There are very few pictures of builds on the internet. Pinkbike has a bike of the day which clearly some companies use to get their product in front of people. No mixers in a long time.

Look what Intense has done in the past month or two. They get the bikes in front of the websites for at least a quick review. I know they have more $$ than Foes, but Foes doe not market at all. How hard would it be to take 5 bikes to moab and go ride with 5 different web sites. Heck you can do it in CA for next to no $.

So I am looking at the Foes Mixer trail, Mojo3, Intense Primer, YT Jeffsy and not sure what else yet. The Mojo3 has 16 some pages on mtbr.com. The Intense just came out and has 7 or 8 reviews. The Jeffsy has 7 or 8 reviews. Foes mixer two sad pages. Most of the posts that recommend it are friends of Mike V or his shop rats. I will trust a review consensus of 100 reviews before only 12 or so.

Timberlines ebay page had a bad link from their web site for at least a month. When I look at the ebay page it does not look like they move any product. It is the same frames over and over.

Enough of my rant, I am just frustrated that I thought I found a cool bike, but due to lack of info I have had to entertain other brands.
Kanute, you're absolutely right. I'm not sure why, but the folks involved in this Mixer project, while completely devoted to design and ride quality, seem to have some aversion to promoting or marketing the result of their hard work. There's almost an attitude of "if you are interested and committed enough, you will find us". Needless to say, that's not a great formula for success. The excuse that "they're a small, boutique company" doesn't work for me, either.

For what it's worth, the bike is great. Since you have the chance to try one, I'd suggest it would be worth your time to do so. Before the Mixer, I've ridden Intense bikes for years (as well as Ellsworth, Specialized, Niner) and I've tooled around on my wife's Mojo. I think you'll find that if you ride a Mixer, you'll realize that it is special. Don't let the organizations' sales/marketing shortcomings turn you off. Really, in the end, what is more important?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anyone know the max rear tire (27.5) width on a Mixer Trail frame?
I've run an Ardent 2.4 in the back with a 32mm wide rim. No problems, but in the mud season, I'd probably go with a 2.35 DHR. This is on the 2015 frame, though. I think they've widened the clearance on later years.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Being in Colorado Springs I see them with regularity and want one, regardless of number of reviews. Everyone on them that I've talked to has had nothing but praise including people not associated with Timberline.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mixer on MTB Action cover

Those hoping for more ink on the Mixer won't have to wait long...

mtbaction.jpg

Supposed to include an extensive review and everything:thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got it done, rode three times, bike is a size large weighs 28lbs with pedals and dropper post. Sram eagle 1x12 nox carbon rims with i9 hubs laced by speed dreams shimano xtr race brakes. coming from a Pivot 429sl which is a great bike "although I think Pivots customer service could use some serious help". I like this bike better so far still getting used to it, definetly goes down hill better, don't seem to have to make mid corner corrections as much and I actually think it climbs just as well although in all fairness one of the big improvements seems to be the 34 fox over the 32 on the Pivot. Foes has done a great job of responding to any email I send them and as far as not marketing the bike much maybe their as busy and big as they want to be. A lot of times being and working for a small company is funner.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice bike...!!! and almost exactly the way i want to build mine, even the rim and hub combo is the same. Curious as to how you like the sram setup as i have been struggling on a decision to go 1x as im not in the best shape and have some pretty steep climbs on my local trails. So I was considering XTR 2x or the eagle like you have. Really sweet ride and cant wait to get one. I was trying to get one before this summer but couldnt afford it the way i want to build it up so just saving and waiting.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm a skeptic -especially for mixed wheel, pressfit bottom brackets, and anything that is supposed to make me suddenly look better:cool:. So it took a lot to get me to ride the mixer. Not only did I ride it I bought one. My insights aren't for the "trail" model - rather the "enduro."

I set it up with a Fox 160 front and Fox 170 rear, so I expected it would descend well, and it does. What shocked me was how well it went uphill and handled things that were tight. I can get up tight switchbacks better than on my 140 trail bike and the Foes rails tight single track. My testimony is this: I see the 140 bike as pointless now and am selling it. I can climb as fast or faster and get up switchbacks better on the big bike. Going down, no contest. It is true all mountain. I've ridden it in Summit county before the snow hit and pushed it as hard as I'm comfortable in Fruita, I'm starting to get the all mountain idea.

I think too many people are trying to dissect individual pieces of the bike - wheel size, bb height, chainstay etc. All them are important, but each influences the other. Rather than just picking any one piece think of it as a total package that works amazingly well together. With the Fox 36 up front and a really stiff frame design I can push the mixed wheel through corners, hard.
Thank you. We do tend to get a bit technical. I love how all of these bikes are getting judged on geometrics and components when they are roughly the same. You have to ride them all as whole. I love this idea by foes, and while not new, a more fine tuned version.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well it's been a year and half since I started saving for a new bike a drooling over the new mixer but now the time is very close for my dream build as my frame a mixer trail in large should be powder coated and on it's way for final check and assembly...!!
Parts are stacking up and excitement is definitely building.
Funny how you start with one set of component picks then through time, research and availability it progresses into the final build.
Well that's shaping up nicely so here's what I have so far.

Trail mix frame in large. Color white with green DVO sticker kit.
DVO topaz rear shock.
DVO diamond 29 boost fork in 150 mm setting.
SRAM eagle xo cranks with 32 tooth front.
SRAM eagle xo rear derailure.
SRAM xo shifter.
SRAM xx1 cassette and gold chain.
Specialized hedge titanium seat.
9 point 8 150 mm dropper post with digit lever upgrade.
Lime green seatpost collar.
Nox composites teocalli rims with lime green sticker kit laced to industry nine lime green boost torch hubs and industry nine black spokes and lime green valves.
Shimano xt brakes with 180 mm xtr icetech rotors.
Joystick stem. 65 mm length x 35 clamp.
Race face sixc carbon 35 bars with 20 rise.
Odi rouge lock on grips.
Specialized 27.5 ground control 2.3 rear tire.
Specialized 29 purgatory control 2.3 front tire.

So now the final wait begins with about two weeks left to go.
Will post pics upon completion.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well it's been a year and half since I started saving for a new bike a drooling over the new mixer but now the time is very close for my dream build as my frame a mixer trail in large should be powder coated and on it's way for final check and assembly...!!
Parts are stacking up and excitement is definitely building.
Funny how you start with one set of component picks then through time, research and availability it progresses into the final build.
Well that's shaping up nicely so here's what I have so far.

Trail mix frame in large. Color white with green DVO sticker kit.
DVO topaz rear shock.
DVO diamond 29 boost fork in 150 mm setting.
SRAM eagle xo cranks with 32 tooth front.
SRAM eagle xo rear derailure.
SRAM xo shifter.
SRAM xx1 cassette and gold chain.
Specialized hedge titanium seat.
9 point 8 150 mm dropper post with digit lever upgrade.
Lime green seatpost collar.
Nox composites teocalli rims with lime green sticker kit laced to industry nine lime green boost torch hubs and industry nine black spokes and lime green valves.
Shimano xt brakes with 180 mm xtr icetech rotors.
Joystick stem. 65 mm length x 35 clamp.
Race face sixc carbon 35 bars with 20 rise.
Odi rouge lock on grips.
Specialized 27.5 ground control 2.3 rear tire.
Specialized 29 purgatory control 2.3 front tire.

So now the final wait begins with about two weeks left to go.
Will post pics upon completion.
Send us a picture when your finish.
I like your build
I still love mine more then ever.
I do say if they made this bike in carbon it would be the ultimate for me.
I have a Race 9.9 Remedy too it so much lighter then my Foes.
Both these bikes I like allot.
IF the Foes were is light as my Remedy the Foes would be my Favorite
Your gonna love this bike

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's so awesome to hear. I decided last week to bite the bullet and move foward on a mixer. I honestly didn't remember subscribing to this thread and didn't even recognize my own post in here! As it happens, my frame and components are shipping tomorrow and I just got my AM classic wheels today! Time for some fun! Here's my build specs.

As you know it's both fun and taxing to build a bike from scratch especially when you are on a budget, however, I will be at ~$4500 when all is said an done when the target was $4k. Here's what I've put together.

Mixer Enduro Frame L raw
Cane Creek Double Barrel shock
RS Yari 150mm boost fork (I hear these are not much of a compromise from the Lyrik)
American Classic 3834 Rims (38mm external, 34mm internal and boost hubs) -after countless hours of researching, it seemed like these were as light as most carbon wheels without the price tag and stiffness which I don't like.
Nobby Nic 2.6 front and Rocket Ron 2.6 rear
Shimano Saint breaks- Oh yeah
X0 carbon crank with 30T
Chester pedals
E Thirteen 9-46T cassette- This thing is light!
XT derailleur and shifter
Brand X 125mm dropper- For $139 and hundreds of 5 star reviews, why not?
Raceface carbon bar
Thompson 50mm stem
Chromag saddle
Lizard skins grips

·
Registered
260 Posts
At first it felt kinda foreign as everything feels so different then my last bike an 08 foes fxr. But every day I ride a few miles and make adjustments to the bars, brake levers, shifter levers, dropper lever, shock and fork adjustments and generally getting it fitted for my personal liking this bike is really coming to life. Now I'm starting to pay attention to all the different components and get a feel for all the advancements that have been made in the last nine years since my last build and I'm just smiling every time I ride now. All the past reviews I've read I can honestly say we're right on.
This bike is all that and a bag of chips...!!!
Your definitely going to be very happy with your new build.
Congratulations and waiting to see pics ..!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's so awesome to hear. I decided last week to bite the bullet and move foward on a mixer. I honestly didn't remember subscribing to this thread and didn't even recognize my own post in here! As it happens, my frame and components are shipping tomorrow and I just got my AM classic wheels today! Time for some fun! Here's my build specs.

As you know it's both fun and taxing to build a bike from scratch especially when you are on a budget, however, I will be at ~$4500 when all is said an done when the target was $4k. Here's what I've put together.

Mixer Enduro Frame L raw
RS Yari 150mm boost fork (I hear these are not much of a compromise from the Lyrik)
American Classic 3834 Rims (38mm external, 34mm internal and boost hubs) -after countless hours of researching, it seemed like these were as light as most carbon wheels without the price tag and stiffness which I don't like.
X0 carbon crank with 30T
Chester pedals
Raceface carbon bar
Thompson 50mm stem
Chromag saddle
Lizard skins grips
Sounds like a sweet build. I am interested in how the 2.6 fits in the rear. I haven't been able to get Foes to sign off on anything wider than a 2.4. I'd love to see a pic of the tire clearance when you've got it together if you don't mind.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Mixer Enduro Frame L raw
X0 carbon crank with 30T
Chester pedals
Raceface carbon bar
Thompson 50mm stem
Chromag saddle
Lizard skins grips
Sounds like a nice build...I'd be interested to see a picture of the rear 2.6 tire clearance as well...thx

·
Registered
302 Posts
Okay guys, get ready for the roller coaster ride. Sorry for the long post but…… :)

After receiving the frame and building it up I had to wait on the B2 Yari fork to arrive. Once it did we found out that SRAM changed the post mount on the fork and a new adapter would be needed. I managed to make one on my own to get her running for my first trip out with my Friday morning crew. Bike finished and rollinTrial by fire would end up being the them for the next 5 days.

Back to Friday. I noticed right away how well the bike pedaled up to our trail head right away. Even without the pro pedal lever on the DB Air. On the first drop in on our gnarly intro down into Aliso Woods Canyon, we railed 5 oaks and the big 29x2.6 front tire was super confidence inspiring. I made it down safe and sound with nothing falling off which was a plus for a brand new self-build (including wheels!). The Saint brakes came in to full power about halfway down which was helpful. The bike turns really well as advertised in spite of the big wheel and just rolls over stuff. After the first trip down, I let a few dudes ride to the next trail entrance on our main canyon trail and they loved the stance and how comfortable the bike was. And all of these guys are on solid carbon HEKs (High End Kits). One guy said he wants one! Down the next trail I felt even more confidence and the Nobby Nics did a nice job as did the Rekon on the rear. I adjusted the stem to come up a bit since I was used to riser bars on my GT and that helped a ton. Down the next trail called Mentally Sensitive. I noticed even more that I wasn't getting that last bit of plush from the Yari so I was hoping I could get that adjusted. At beers later that day one guy suggested we take it and break it in at Snow Summit in Big Bear so the 4 of us convinced our wives that it was in their best interest to let us go somehow so off we went the next morning.

From dusty gnarl trails to the packed, bermy, jumpy goodness of the bike park. With the seat all the way down, we hit the lifts and started railing the downs. The bike was just awesome. Super, super stable is the best way to describe it. It simply bailed me out of some poor techniques and launches with that 29" wheel, I just knew I'd be riding this bike for a long time to come. Again, in the midst of brand new, florescent carbon bikes, the mixer either stood out or faded to the background. I can't decide which. Almost everyone loves the raw finish though. It's so throwback and I took a step further with the Chromag leather-looking saddle. :) After the day was over, I was amazed to find that I hadn't crashed or bailed at any time even with my adjustments not completed. Another testament to how easy it is to ride. My buddy says "Hey we need to go ride Mt Wilson Shuttle in the Los Angeles Hills" "That's like Disneyland on a bike!" Okay we'll put that on the bucket list since it's about 1.5 hours away from our normal domicile.

Here’s a video of the first half of a run and then I switch to try my buddies Trek Session. But the first wood ramp was some poor technique saved by the big front wheel.

Sunday,.... the family and myself head up to Pasadena for some pre-holiday fun so I throw the bike on the back of the SUV as one of my in laws wants to do some riding on Monday. He's more of a climber so I figure we'll ride to the trail head and we'll see how well this thing really climbs. He says to me "Hey, ever heard of the Mt Wilson Shuttle?"

Mt. Wilson shuttle is a 14mile downhill with some serious exposure and some epic gnar. Super risky riding. We didn't see any other riders going down but man it was epic. Lots of history up in them hills but let me assure you, you better pay attention to the 10ft in front of you at all times as there is usually a 30-40ft drop off on at least one side of you most of the time. The big wheel really helps hold a line and just motors over rocks when you have to. I'm never going back to 27.5 front now. It's that awesome. Just point and shoot. Another great ride with the new mixer.

Now that’s a big front wheel. Suddenly I don’t feel so cutting edge with the Mixer.

After the ride the family and I jumped in the car to head home. Suddenly an idea pops into my head- San Dimas is right on the way home. I ask the wife if she would indulge my wishes to visit Brent Foes shop and see if he would autograph my bike and talk for a few minutes. It all works out. I stop at the shop and Brent's having lunch and he comes out and we talk a bit about how awesome the bike is and he signs off on my new ride.

It was the perfecta on top of the trifecta. I can't imagine how it all came together. A super intro to my new world of mixed bike... now that I think of it, maybe I might name my bike "Karma"

I also rode on 4th of July as a precursor to the debotchery of BBQ and beers and confirmed that I wont stop thinking about swapping the Yari 150 for a Lyrik 160 anytime soon. So, as luck would have it, today, while on Pinkbike, I found a new, 29 boost 160mm Lyrik not 5 miles from my house at a hellavu deal. Done. More to come!

Erik

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not sure what's going on with this site but I can't edit my posts! They come up blank when I try to edit them! Here's the pic of Brent signing the bike.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Really nice build and I always love when someone builds a new foes and gets to ride it the first time as it's always a great new experience.
I've only rode foes bikes for the last fifteen years and after I got my first one all my friends wanted one so I had three more built and I started the phrase ( Bros on Foes)...!!
I've had my new mixer trail for three weeks now and I've put over 170 miles it and just can't get enough. I too have met Brent on several occasions and he is a really great person and having it made in America is always good thing.
Congrats on your new build and glad your loving it too. Welcome to the family as another one added to the (Bros on a Foes)...!!
Yes I'm a fanboy...!!

81 - 100 of 128 Posts