Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I''ve settled on the FXR (crosss country, single track, light free riding) after 3 months of searching and have a final decision to make about the rear shock. Right now the bike I've found has a Fox Vanilla RL Coil shock on the rear and I would like to know from other Foes FXR riders what they think of the shock specifically in the uphill climbs. I wouldn't be locking it out all the time on the climbs and wonder if I would be feeling a lot of bobbing with this shock.

How does this shock feel on cross country rides in unlocked mode?

My option is to go with the Curnutt rear shock (in all the reviews I've read about the shock, everyone raves about them) but budget wise that increase the cost by $500 to $600 which I don't really have right now.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Curnutt great, Pushed Vanilla good option

I have only test ridden the FXR with the Currnutt but do have one on order. My initial impression is the curnutt is awesome.

If you are looking to save some money, consider the Fox shock and sending it to Push industries. That should cost around $150-$200 and would get you closer to the curnutt performance.

I've got a fox float that push revalved and it is incredible

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
The fox bobs. A lot. It also requires a higher-than-normal spring rate due to the falling-rate design of the FXR (this is not a problem with the curnutt of course). When the vanilla RL is locked out though, it is pretty neat, it's like a hardtail, but it still has a blowoff to keep the shock from being damaged.

Sending the fox to push won't help you because it won't make the shock progressive, it will make it better damped and pedal a little better, but the root cause is the falling rate design, which was designed to give the most tuning options when using the curnutt.

Getting the FXR new with the romic would be a better performer than with the vanilla RL, but the problem is that romics have not been reliable for me, I blew them 3 times. I bought the FXR with the vanilla RL and upgrade to the curnutt when I had enough money. The curnutt is very tunable.

The bike is available with the romic, vanilla RL, curnutt, and I've even see it with a float.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
old_rider said:
Hi,

I''ve settled on the FXR (crosss country, single track, light free riding) after 3 months of searching and have a final decision to make about the rear shock. Right now the bike I've found has a Fox Vanilla RL Coil shock on the rear and I would like to know from other Foes FXR riders what they think of the shock specifically in the uphill climbs. I wouldn't be locking it out all the time on the climbs and wonder if I would be feeling a lot of bobbing with this shock.

How does this shock feel on cross country rides in unlocked mode?

My option is to go with the Curnutt rear shock (in all the reviews I've read about the shock, everyone raves about them) but budget wise that increase the cost by $500 to $600 which I don't really have right now.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance.
Why not look into getting a 5th Element. I'm not sure if it will fit a FXR, but it is worth some investigation ? They can be found used rather cheap and you could sell the Fox (alot of people are looking for Fox shocks to send to Push so the market is quite good).
MTBR add for a 5th (not mine)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.