Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I''ve settled on the FXR (crosss country, single track, light free riding) after 3 months of searching and have a final decision to make about the rear shock. Right now the bike I've found has a Fox Vanilla RL Coil shock on the rear and I would like to know from other Foes FXR riders what they think of the shock specifically in the uphill climbs. I wouldn't be locking it out all the time on the climbs and wonder if I would be feeling a lot of bobbing with this shock.

How does this shock feel on cross country rides in unlocked mode?

My option is to go with the Curnutt rear shock (in all the reviews I've read about the shock, everyone raves about them) but budget wise that increase the cost by $500 to $600 which I don't really have right now.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Curnutt

Dig deep and figure out how to get the curnutt. It makes the ride really great. I'm not sure if I would even spend that much $$ on the frame with out it. There are plenty of great complete bikes for the same price as that frame. The curnutt makes the bike great not the frame, although it does help.

Go to Foes website, they have a few FXRs for sale in the marketplace. Hope that might help.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
old_rider said:
Hi,

I''ve settled on the FXR (crosss country, single track, light free riding) after 3 months of searching and have a final decision to make about the rear shock. Right now the bike I've found has a Fox Vanilla RL Coil shock on the rear and I would like to know from other Foes FXR riders what they think of the shock specifically in the uphill climbs. I wouldn't be locking it out all the time on the climbs and wonder if I would be feeling a lot of bobbing with this shock.

How does this shock feel on cross country rides in unlocked mode?

My option is to go with the Curnutt rear shock (in all the reviews I've read about the shock, everyone raves about them) but budget wise that increase the cost by $500 to $600 which I don't really have right now.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance.
Didn't see the post till now, we really need a Foes forum. I think Jm rode a Fox Vanilla for awhile before buying the Curnutt so he might be able to give you some input-post over on the shock board. I agree you should get the Curnutt, the design seems like a standard single-pivot so the shock makes it ride so well.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Fox FXR

Buy it and send the shock to Derrin at Push Industries in Irvine Cal. He can convert the fox to a platform shock with valving suited to your riding style and weight for less than $150

·
Registered
52 Posts
Curnnut better than Romic? Maybe

Don't know about Curnnut but the Romic shock started leaking oil from both rebound and compression adj knobs. Had to send it back to get repaired. However, Romic managed to turn it around in a week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.