Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
10,000,000 Watts
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I need more time on the Topaz to give a fair evaluation, so far it feels really good. I’ve literally changed everything except for the frame, di2 and brakes!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Still awaiting the return of my fork from Avalanche so no impressions from me. I hope to get the fork back next week.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dude, post a review on that damper once you get it dialed. I’m deciding between the avalanche and the charger2.
Will do, I'm hoping to get the fork back this week (but the holiday probably means no) or next. It's too bad that the RS Revelation spec'ed on the Focus Jam2 is a newer version of the fork and Avalanche needed my fork to measure the changes thus taking my bike down for a few weeks.

·
10,000,000 Watts
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
10,000,000 Watts
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I just ordered the Grip 2 36 for my Rip 9. Running a Lyrik 160 and Topaz. It’s a great set up. DVO suggested no bands anywhere and max out the bladder.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Got the email confirmation that Avalanche has sent me my fork back! Should be here on Wednesday but knowing the USPS in my town they will probably just leave me a pink note telling me to pick it up at the main office on Thursday. Nevertheless I can't wait to check it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe the DVO Topaz is the way to go. I haven’t ridden it yet, but knew that the RS, would not match my Lyrik fork and needed a beefier Shock. I bought a 210 x 55 from Jenson USA. I used Active Junky and had a coupon.
Hey Gutch - followed your advice and picked up a DVO from Jenson. Any set-up advice you can give now that you've ridden it?

I am 200# kitted out, ride the front range of Colorado, so lots of rock gardens and some drops but in general I like to keep the rubber on the dirt!

thanks much,
Chuck

·
10,000,000 Watts
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Read post 32. It works fine for me. I leave it in open 100% of the time. Not worried of robbing pedal bob on an ebike! I sped up my rebound a click or 2. Everybody’s a little different, I like my bikes set up a little more “chopperish” like my dirt bikes as I tend to ride in attack over the front a little more.

·
10,000,000 Watts
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Mine was 140mm stock 29er. Is yours 150 stock 27.5? If so, 160 no biggie

·
Registered
19 Posts
It’s the 27.5+ 140.

150 would be a good start but I’m such a hack and like to crush the gardens that I fear I’d be bottoming out the 150 with any kinda sag.

My trail whip is an Sb 5.5 and has 160 and while I never thought I’d need that much, now I can’t think of riding without it - especially on a bike that is 20# heavier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Jam2 is a sweet ride!

Hey all - my build post is way overdue (cause I've been riding so much!)

Here's the beast on Slickrock in Moab earlier this Spring...
Chuck Sanson Moab 2019.jpg
My mods':

- Lyric 160 Fork 51mm offset
- DVO Topaz with 1 pos/neg air chamber band each (I weigh 200 kitted out)
- Ibis 742/942 Carbon wheels, I went Mullet and put the 29'er on the front
- Yeti carbon 780 bar
- Ergon grips
- XTR Chain
- Minion DHF 29 x 3.0 Front for the big days and a DHF 29 x 2.6 for general trail riding. Paired with the stock 2.8 Rekon in the rear
- WTB Seat
- XT Pedals
- Tec Pack
- E7000 Shifter
- Shimano 170 Dropper
- 4 Piston XT Brakes

I gotta say switching to the 29'er front made all the difference for me. The bike rides more like my analog Yeti 5.5 now and with the 160mm travel Lyrik, it's more slanted to the enduro size of the biz. I found the original 140mm 27.5 to be too twitchy at speed so the slacker HT angle suits my style and terrain better.

The DVO is a great upgrade, and really well designed so that it's user tunable. It takes a few weeks to learn the in's and out's of how the adjustments make a difference, but once dialed it's got a wide range of rideability.

I have mixed vibes about the 29 x 3.0 Minion. It's a great tire, especially for the rough rocky stuff, but with such a big volume casing you lose trail feel. The 2.6 is more of a point and shoot, lighter option.

Switching to a 170mm dropper was great in general since I am 6'4". I've been pleased with Shimano's version, it works every time and has a decent adjustment on the lever position.

4 Piston brakes should be stock on all eMTB's in my opinion. The funny thing was all I had to do was buy a caliper, Focus had already spec'ed the heavy duty hose.

The Shimano motor is pretty quiet, maybe just louder than the belt drive Brose. I dig that Shimano updated the software and I can now adjust all three levels. Really though, I'd rather have 4 levels to choose from. That way I could turn them all down and then have a "super boost" when really needed.

One interesting aspect which I've seen on all the eMTB's out there is that the shifting is really abrupt in the Boost or turbo mode. Especially dropping down to the smaller cogs. I switched to an XTR chain and may go to a better cassette. Drive trains in general on ebikes are the weak point I've learned.

I bought the extra Tec pack, and use it nearly every ride. Typically I'll use it first and then ditch it on the trail and loop back for it. The bike actually seems to like the extra heft that the battery adds - smoothing out the ride.

My buddies all have Levo's and while those are nice well-rounded packages, I do like the Jam2 for the lighter weight and battery flexibility.

My one beef is that I wish Focus would offer a 500W Tec pack battery option. Then I could roll on boost all day long as my posse all have two batteries for their Levo's and I have to conserve and work harder to keep up on the long days.

For the flexibility of the platform and the power-to-weight ratio the Jam is a hard bike to beat.

Oh, and I have to give a shout out to San Diego Fly Rides. They gave me a solid deal, and are prompt on any questions I have.

If you are out on the Front Range of Colorado PM me and we'll JAM!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts