Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what about filling the empty monocoque frame with some foam, like the one that it sells at home depot, comes on a can goes liquid and expands as it cures, you know what I'm talking about. They used it on the frames of race cars to make them stronger, plus I will think that will take some noise out of the bike frame. ????????

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
HMMMMMM...

I don't know about that.
What if it expands to far and spreads the frame?
My experiance has been, that the MC frames aren't real noisy.

·
cruiser
10 Posts
Foam in frame.

Hi JC6 , I would not try & put foam in the SA frame as a lot of those expanding foams can take up moisture , be sure nice to have a frame with water in it ! :eekster: I like the noise they make , just wish it was as loud as it was before I built it up !
Cheers, John.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are really concerned, you can fill the frame with 'vermiculite' which is a granular foam they use to lighten concrete. It does not attract moisture and can do the trick if that's what you're after.

You will though have to tape the weld port on the BB to fill it and then do the same for the one in the headtube.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not concern of the noise or toughness of my MC, just curious. I know that this foam once is cured does not hold moisture. Actually on the doble hull boats they fill betwen hulls with similar foam, this gives the boat better voyancy, less noise ride, and strenght.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.