Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been using Ergon GX!'s for the last year, and maybe changing to some ozriders foam grips, made by my friend in austraila, but before i do, what are currently the favorite foam grips out there? i found some specialized BG foam grips that were removed from a flat bar road bike at the shop, they have an ergo shape to them, not as extreme as an ergon, but nice, and only 70grams for the pair even though they have a rubber sleeve inside them ( the ozriders are 40grams per pair) are there any others out there that have an ergo-type feel to them?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
RockStarRacing said:
i have been using Ergon GX!'s for the last year, and maybe changing to some ozriders foam grips, made by my friend in austraila, but before i do, what are currently the favorite foam grips out there? i found some specialized BG foam grips that were removed from a flat bar road bike at the shop, they have an ergo shape to them, not as extreme as an ergon, but nice, and only 70grams for the pair even though they have a rubber sleeve inside them ( the ozriders are 40grams per pair) are there any others out there that have an ergo-type feel to them?
Bontrager Race foam grips are 22g for a pair and I like them because they are a perfect fit with the SRAM twist grips and can be easily trimmed down to the length you prefer. You can pick them up or order them at any Trek dealer.

BB

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
I´ve used Bontrager x-lites foam, light (14.3 gr) but too thin for my hands doesn't absorb a lot, ESI racers not so light (38.6 gr) also thin, but absorbs vibration better, maybe the chunky ones are a better option if you don't mind extra weight, Ritchey WCS good but overweight at 73 gr.
I currently use Extralite Ultrafoam at 13.6 gr trimmed to my needs, good absortion and thickness, they don't twist.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
i know jimmy (mr.ozriders) pretty well, and if the product wasn't up to scratch i'd just keep my mouth shut (fingers still). i'm happy to jump in here and give my opinion as it is a good product. they haven't really hit the international market yet, only a few mail orders from teams chasing the colours. therefore due to the lack of Australians on these boards you won't get much love for them.

prior to getting on the ozriders bandwagon my favourite were ESI chunky. i did have some issues with the ESI grips slipping after a while in use and their limited availability in Australia is a problem. i haven't had the ozriders grips slip on me yet and it doesn't hurt that the LBS stocks them. of course the choice of colours and lengths (gripshift available) is nice aswell.

if you're worried about comfort the felt epix guys are using them aswell as Andrew Bell (24hr solo dude)...so no problems with long rides. then if it's race performance you're chasing they certainly haven't slowed down Chris Jongewaard or Daniel McConnell.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
culturesponge said:
ESI Chunky are the best grip i've used to date, plenty of cush + grip & so far no twist without glue with X.O Gripshift.

...i cut mine down so i can use a raised foam section to grip onto instead of bar ends - works a treat.
Cool. You have the same exact bar layout I have! I have Serfas cut rubber, at 52 grams total, including end caps. I wish I had two golf-ball sized bar ends, for climbs.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
doccoraje said:
I´ve used Bontrager x-lites foam, light (14.3 gr) but too thin for my hands doesn't absorb a lot, ESI racers not so light (38.6 gr) also thin, but absorbs vibration better, maybe the chunky ones are a better option if you don't mind extra weight, Ritchey WCS good but overweight at 73 gr.
I currently use Extralite Ultrafoam at 13.6 gr trimmed to my needs, good absortion and thickness, they don't twist.
Is the extralite grip a stiff foam like the Titec Pork Rinds? Or are they more soft like the ESI silicone grips?

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
Cheers! said:
Is the extralite grip a stiff foam like the Titec Pork Rinds? Or are they more soft like the ESI silicone grips?
Extralite are thick and soft, I haven't used the Titec's, but I guess they are similar to Bonty's X-lite, thin and firm foam.
As for the ESI, the silicone is gripier and also stiffer than Extralite, talking about the Racer, which is the one I got.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.