Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually used foam grips for XC/STXC racing? They're stupid light but I wonder if they stay put. I have aluminum bars and usually I put a little clear spraypaint on the inside of rubber grips to keep them from spinning. The set up is X.0 twisters on a riser bar so the length is short and there isn't anything on the outside to hold them on.

From my best guess rubber grips are around 90 grams a pair and these are less than 40 g per pair. Of course, that's outweighed by the time lost from holding onto the bare bar when the stupid thing tears, twists or gets slippery as death when it soaks up some sweat.

·
No. Just No.
5,386 Posts
MattyMTB said:
Has anyone actually used foam grips for XC/STXC racing?
Yes.

MattyMTB said:
They're stupid light but I wonder if they stay put.
Yes.

MattyMTB said:
Of course, that's outweighed by the time lost from holding onto the bare bar when the stupid thing tears, twists or gets slippery as death when it soaks up some sweat.
Haven't had any of that happen to me. Lots of miles, lots of crashes. Some people prefer the cushion feel and texture of rubber though, as the foam type used for foam grips is typically somewhat hard and not very cushy. I suppose that's a good thing since a lower density foam would have much less durability, and also probably a vague feeling of grip on the bars.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
i've also had the titac pork rinds (called pluto now), and they stay put for the most part. after a while (a long while, actually), they'll kind of loosen up a little. nothing some hairspray didn't fix though. i don't wear gloves, and they don't offer very much in the way of comfort or grip once your palms are sweaty.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I've raced the Rinds a few times. Didn't like'm at all. Hard as a rock. Slippery when sweaty. Also way harder to grip when it counts(=wastes way more energy then the 30gm savings will ever give back). In contrast I LOVE the 50gm Ritchey WCS neoprene grips. Cushy and octagon shaped. Half the weight of std grips(but regardless of weight I'd run them on my race bikes). They feel that good to me. I have all 4 up and rolling mtbs fitted with them atm.

Never torn a foam/neo grip in 4 yrs of solid racing, except while taking it off to throw away..

·
Registered
41 Posts
ESI Silicone grips are nice too...

They're pretty light and work very well. Lots of shock absorption, zero problems with slipping. I also use XO grip shifters, and I take one grip and cut it in half, using half on each side - gives me just the right amount of room to have my hands on the grips and close to the shifters and brake levers. I like the "Chunky" for use with grip shifters, though for maximum weight weeniness you could try the "Racer's Edge". With half a grip on each side, your total weight is under 40 grams for the chunky and under 30 grams for the racer's Edge.

Check them out at:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id64.html

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Mine all weigh a little over 20 grams with the bar end plugs and using Shimano trigger length. I've got them on the rigid SS and the Fuel. They will replace all other types on the other bikes in the future as long as they remain available. I glue them on after a while when they start to loosen up.

Work just fine racing for me!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Duckman said:
I LOVE the 50gm Ritchey WCS neoprene grips. Cushy and octagon shaped. Half the weight of std grips(but regardless of weight I'd run them on my race bikes). They feel that good to me. I have all 4 up and rolling mtbs fitted with them atm...
Anyone using the Ritchey WCS TrueGrips with SRAM XO twist shifters? Pro/cons/impressions?

·
No. Just No.
5,386 Posts
cmv96 said:
Anyone using the Ritchey WCS TrueGrips with SRAM XO twist shifters? Pro/cons/impressions?
The WCS foam grips and X.0 twisties play fine together. Just cut to required length and you're set to go. As I mentioned above though, the foam grips are probably LESS comfortable than good rubber or silicone grips though as the foam is quite firm.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Love 'em

I use the Ritchey WCS and the Pork Rinds. I find them to be more comfortable, have more cushion, and ofter better grip, than rubber. I have never had them slip at all. In fact sometimes the compressor can't budge them and I have to cut them off. I use a bit of hairspray.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yes, ESI works really well. Life span is about a half of a year though. ESI puts them on for me with rubbing alchohal and they never came loose. They work better dealing with water compared to rubber grips. They dont get slipppery. At sea otter and nationals they usually have a booth set up and you can get a pair for $10. Which is a steal so get a few.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.