Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I'm looking at ordering a set of foam grips. I'm not really doing it for weight. My reason is that I am running an x.0 twist shifter for the rear and a single ring on the front. So I need a cheap set of grips that I can cut one of in half for use with the grip shifter.
Foam grips are really cheap and super light to boot. I know some of you all are running them to save a lot of weight. My question is, how are they as far as comfort I do pretty aggressive all mountain riding and some light freeride (large-ish jumps and drops). Will foam grips be okay?
how are they as far as grippyness?

thanks,
pedro

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had foam grips and I could not get them to stop slipping on my carbon handlebar. Some people suggest gluing them, but I didn't want to do that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Had foam grips, unless they are HD foam, they stand a chance of making your hands numb unless they are the right shape. Bartape is too narrow, but works.

OURY grips are still king. I've returned to them, even though they weigh a ton.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
i have foam grips on my epic, i love them, only thing is they slip to the centre of the bars, you have to move them out again every now and then but its not much of a hassle

·
Person
775 Posts
I have Ritchey WCS foam grips on all my bikes and love them.

They have never slipped on the bar (carbon or aluminum) and are very durable.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
ESI grips sold by enduroforkseals.com have replaced all my grips. Super nice and comfy + no slip. With twist shifters you only need one and slice it in half. Put the other in a box for when you need / want to replace the grip.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Agree with Baulz, I do. You should get Ritchey WCS foam grips as they take allot of the ride vibration out, they are very comfortable, last along time, and I'm not sure about this but they use to be the lightest grips in the world. I have never had them move, in over 4 months of having this particular set on my Stumpy they have never moved, not even a mm, you can move most lock-on grips easier than my Ritchey's. I have them on 2 aluminium bars and 1 Easton carbon at the mo. Unfortunately they are more expensive than most, but it is well worth it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am using Ritchey WCS Ergo Foam. I run the thick part on the outside (under my pinky and ring finger) to avoid that outer nerve from going numb. They work great on my rigid even for longer rides - 2 to 3 hours.

I also use Titec Pork Rinds on my bike with front sus. They are a little harder and very light. These grips are great.

To stop foam grips from moving apply a liberal amount of hairspray to the inside of the grip and the bar. Slide them on and let them dry. They will not move, even when raining. Use cheap aerosol hairspray that says something like, "extra firm, super hold" on the can.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Pork Rinds

I used to use the WCS and have since switched to the Titec Pork Rinds. They only weigh 12 grams for the pair and are wonderful for my hands. They have a cool shape with a rounded top and narrow hex shapes sides. I have short fingers so i need small diameter grips. The shape allows alot of foam padding at the top for cushion, than a slim profile on the sides.They also fit a bit tighter than the WCS. The WCS are wider and better for big hands, and also weigh a bit more....

I always mount them with hairspray. I use the liquid kind (not aerosol) It helps you slip them on and then glues them in place. Sometimes I do have to cut them off after they have been on for a season, but for under 10 bucks I don't mind buying another pair.

·
red-headed maniac
54 Posts
i've got bonty's race x lite foam grips on my topfuel. very nice and light, went on without trouble, and so far haven't slipped at all. they're thick though - i don't ride with padded gloves anymore (that said, i don't need them either)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I tried foam grips. Solved the slipping by lightly sanding the carbon bars and applying 3M spray adhesive. I could never solve the numbness, though. I switched to the ESI grips that someone mentioned earlier and have never looked back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have been satidfied with any kind of harder foam grips so far. Among these WCS (non ergo). Actually they are one of the heaviest foam grips on the market, but all the lighter ones I tried (I did not try them because of the weight) were too soft and did not last long. I guess there is a proportionality between weight and durability.
At the moment I ride Sette foam grips, which are less than 5 bucks and seem to work well. Actually they are a 1:1 copy of a more famous grip (forgot name).

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Ive been racing with bontrager X lite grips for the past year and have had no problems with slippage. They are high density foam, but i havent found them to be uncomfortable over long rides.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
Just like crux & Gram, ESI user here for a year and counting.

I'd prefer the Racers edge but went with the Chunky anyway. The Grip compresses which makes 'em extremely comfortable since the racers edge feels too small once compressed (I have big hands). Measly weighing 58 grams only with end caps already - really reassures you that you've made the right purchase when a part comes in underweight - makes me grin! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since it doesn't sound like weight is your number one concern I will suggest ergon grips.I have a pair on my 1x9 with a X9 twist shift. They make a grip shift model but then you will be too short on the left side so I just bought a regular pair and easily cut the right side with a sharp hacksaw.

·
Uncoordinated coward
76 Posts
js2501 said:
Since it doesn't sound like weight is your number one concern I will suggest ergon grips.I have a pair on my 1x9 with a X9 twist shift. They make a grip shift model but then you will be too short on the left side so I just bought a regular pair and easily cut the right side with a sharp hacksaw.
Some of the Ergon grips come in a Rohloff/Nexus version, with a gripshift grip for the right and a regular grip for the left. Good for 1x9.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
better yet....

tranquilo said:
I tried foam grips. Solved the slipping by lightly sanding the carbon bars and applying 3M spray adhesive. I could never solve the numbness, though. I switched to the ESI grips that someone mentioned earlier and have never looked back.
carpenter's glue. Works great. You know, like white Elmer's glue, but yellow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts