Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TLDR: Has anyone used both Ritchey WCS foam grips and ESI Chunky? Which did you like best and why?

I have been running the WCS grips for over 10 years, very comfortable, good grip so you can let you hands rest a bit. For $12 they typically last 2 seasons before getting too cut-up to use. Pretty light at like 45g

Last year I tried the Ritchey SuperLogic foam grips which come in at just 12 grams, but cost $25. They worked great at first, comfy and grippy... but the grippy seems to have worn-off and now they're pretty slick, leading to death grip and hand fatigue.

I'm considering trying out ESI grips. They weigh a bit more than the WCS grips but still not bad, but they do cost like $20. There are a lot of options, the Chunky look comfortable but I'm worried they be too big for my small hands. However, if I get the XL version I could fill in the current gap between my grips and brakes/shifters.

Thoughts anyone? And before you say it, I'm not interested in Ergon.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,133 Posts
I can't stand the chunky grips, it's just too big in my hand. I love the tapered ESIs. I run them backwards with the fat-part towards the middle of the bar. The ESIs aren't all that light, likely because they are silicone and not foam. IME, the ESIs don't pack down too bad over time, if at all, like more "foamy" grips do.

·
Student of the Bike
810 Posts
Yeah, I completely understand that grips are very subjective and personal. I expected to see plenty of "nope I run something else". What surprises me is the "I've run then and don't like them".

-CJB

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I have ESI chunky grips and love them. Personally the thick grip allows my hand to relax to hold the bar. No narrow and my hands get clench to tight. My only complaints are crash durability as I have had minor crashes and then they tear and the are pain to install. (lock ons are so easy, but feel harsh). I have set on my single speed where I also have bar ends that I have 3 seasons on at least. The small bar ends protect the grips from minor tears. The set I have on my XC bike I have replaced due cuts from minor crashes.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
I'm considering trying out ESI grips. They weigh a bit more than the WCS grips but still not bad, but they do cost like $20. There are a lot of options, the Chunky look comfortable but I'm worried they be too big for my small hands.
I used to run all manner of foam grips before trying ESI. The Chunky grips were too big for me (5' 6.5" tall for reference), but the Racer's Edge has been perfect. I did try the Fit grips, but the larger section was too much for my hands to get around comfortably.

I put them on with alcohol, and if I get into trouble, I grab my compressor nozzle and blow them on the rest of the way.

As far as being slippery, I've never had that problem. It rained pretty steady this past weekend for at least four hours of a ten hour event, and I had zero issues using HandUp gloves.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I run the ESI Chunkys and find them comfortable. I also wear an XL, or sometimes XXL glove. Really happy with them actually, have been running them for over 5 years. Replace every year or two. Not super durable, but where they get chewed up the most, the part that would hit the ground, is also not the part you're gripping.

If you have a smaller hand, you'd probably find the Racer's Edge version more comfortable, larger hand, the Extra Chunky. I used to run the Ritchey's. I liked them, but I think I prefer these. Both are better than any rubber clamp-on grips I've used.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been a fan of ESI extra chunky fur a few years. I have really big hands and they are great. The only downside is durability. I have to replace them every 3 months or so (depending on the bike) because they wear down on the outside of my palms. I must put more pressure on the outside of my hands I guess. I did buy a pair of ergons to see if that would help, just installed them on my XC race bike; we'll see how they work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've used ESIs quite a lot and still have them on my Fatbike, but for endurance I've found the Fabric Ergo Lock-on to be absolutely amazing. The rubber is very soft and the small wing is very flexible. The are super comfortable and I don't mind leaning on them for hours.

Boot

·
Cat Herder
4,730 Posts
I've been a fan of ESI extra chunky fur a few years. I have really big hands and they are great. The only downside is durability. I have to replace them every 3 months or so (depending on the bike) because they wear down on the outside of my palms. I must put more pressure on the outside of my hands I guess. I did buy a pair of ergons to see if that would help, just installed them on my XC race bike; we'll see how they work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Try changing the bars sweep, either up or back or both.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.