Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
: DROOL: :D :D:D:D:D:D

That is one be-a-u-tiful bike. :D

Props to Noel for an excellent job. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Stop That!!! I don't have that kinda change laying around to "Keep up with the Jonses"

Pfffft! NICE ride Gonzo...very Nice.

I'd love to hear how that rides/climbs as an all mountain, do everything (leaning toward DH and freeride obviously) bike. I'll be choosing between that and a VP in the near future, pretty much set up exactly like that......damn I need a second job to support this habit :p

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wXman said:
Stop That!!! I don't have that kinda change laying around to "Keep up with the Jonses"

Pfffft! NICE ride Gonzo...very Nice.

I'd love to hear how that rides/climbs as an all mountain, do everything (leaning toward DH and freeride obviously) bike. I'll be choosing between that and a VP in the near future, pretty much set up exactly like that......damn I need a second job to support this habit :p
I'll be reporting in full. There's been plenty of reviews from others, starting about a year or so ago, maybe 9 mos ago, when Noel had some folks out at Whistler ride the VTach and report back. do some searches here.

I have 3 friends on VP-Frees and I have pedaled them around on relatively flat stuff and stunts, but not on any serious trail. I do know that all 3 friends RAVE about their VP-Frees, though. in fact, it seems everyone loves their VP-Free, just as much as people love their Bullits etc. I used to ride a Bullit too. quite a few of us VTach owners did. ;)

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I got yo' mammy! You disgusting, affluent peckerwood...LOL! That is a nice looking setup. How does it compare in weight to your Banshee? I know it has to be a better pedaler. Very slick.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Do those things really cost over 3 grand US???

I was shopping around for a bike of that nature and just about cried when I saw the msrp on the website.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's not cheap. it's not inexpensive. it's not really very affordable.

but the engineering behind it is top notch.

the welding is first rate.

the machining is about the best in the biz.

the passion behind it is unquestionable. the experience riding gnarly terrain is a big part of the passion behind it.

if you got to see one in person and got to know Noel Buckley, you would almost think it's UNDERpriced at the MSRP.

quality always costs more. whether you want or need the quality Noel is offering is up to you. I happily paid for it. I would do so again.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
gonzostrike said:
it's not cheap. it's not inexpensive. it's not really very affordable.

but the engineering behind it is top notch.

the welding is first rate.

the machining is about the best in the biz.

the passion behind it is unquestionable. the experience riding gnarly terrain is a big part of the passion behind it.

if you got to see one in person and got to know Noel Buckley, you would almost think it's UNDERpriced at the MSRP.

quality always costs more. whether you want or need the quality Noel is offering is up to you. I happily paid for it. I would do so again.
Soooooo that means yes? Three grand?

I saw a few at whistler last summer and pedaled one around a bit......and that is why I was interested. Those things are bomber.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TNC said:
I got yo' mammy! You disgusting, affluent peckerwood...LOL! That is a nice looking setup. How does it compare in weight to your Banshee? I know it has to be a better pedaler. Very slick.
I didn't throw 10 years of my life down the tubes working my arse off to not have some extra $$ left over for trinkets, ya know, Sir. ;)

and this year has been my last hurrah, for a long time forward I'm not buying any more frames. I went out with a bang, buying what I think represents the best in the industry in the two FS classes of rigs I wanted. of course, when Noel introduces his 6" travel trail bike, I may start finding the 6-Pack a bit malnourished, if you know what I mean?

besides, this is the ONLY area of my life where I toss coins. I'm a cheap-arsed bastidge everywhere else. I cut my own hair, etc. I plan to drive my '98 Tacoma until it dies, and I bought it new. It only has 81k now after 7 years, even though in western Montana you have long distances between places, and even after 4 SLC ski trips, 2 GT/JH ski trips, 2 Nelson riding trips, 2 Virgin riding trips, 1 Fruita riding trip, 1 Durango riding trip... etc.

I'm cheap everywhere else in my life except MTBs. :(

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kidwoo said:
Soooooo that means yes? Three grand?

I saw a few at whistler last summer and pedaled one around a bit......and that is why I was interested. Those things are bomber.
I bought more than a frame, and I'd have to dig out the invoice, but if the website says 3k then that's probably what I paid. basically I bought everything except a fork, a saddle, and a wheelset. the USA/CDN exchange rate was better when I ordered mine than it is now, though.

yeah, it definitely is bomber. I had a Scream right before this, and it has the same burly rear end stiffness that makes the Scream so good on skinnies, etc., but the VTach's suspension is much more compliant under braking and pedaling. it corners better than a Scream, too, IMO. more intuitive. I had my Scream set up with 26" front and rear and it always felt a bit tippy. I was slower on our local DH course with my Scream than I was with my '02.5 SC Bullit. I can already tell that I'm going to be MUCH faster on the VTach, based on its performance in some tight and choppy off-camber turns on today's trail ride.

I would say that if you can starve yourself well enough to afford one, Kidwoo, you should do it. but remember he builds them in lots and you have to pre-order and I think the 2d run of 40 already is sold out too. check with Noel to see the timeline.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Dang strike, your killin me! :D I thought I was bad having all these frames hanging around in the garage, and now Im going to unload the Bullit (most likely) and get a Highline for the Mammoth trips. Nice review on the pack btw. Do you have a parts list for this frame and the Pack yet?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
thanks for the props on the review. I've done some more rides on the Pack and I'm super impressed with it. I'm going to ride it a lot, using the VTach only for DH and big stunt stuff. the Pack and VTach behave very similarly on the trail, same characteristics under braking, cornering, choppy trail features.

BTW that Highline is gonna be a killer.

drumstix said:
Do you have a parts list for this frame and the Pack yet?
yep.

V-Tach:

'04 888R 8" version, Go-Ride lowrider bottom crown/steerer.
FSA Orbit Extreme reducer 1.5/1.125 headset
RF Diabolus 31.8 handlebar on the integrated stem (67mm? I think)
Magura Louise FR brakes (still on the way) 200/190 rotors
SRAM x-9 trigger shifters
RF ODI Lock On grips
Haro MTB bar caps
RF Diabolus 170mm crank & BB assembly
E13 DRS
Shima-no-no XT E-type front der
SRAM x-9 rear der
RF Diabolus seatpost
saddle still undecided, probably WTB Laser or Pure
wheels are Arrow FR rims, 14ga spokes, Hadley rear hub and Marzocchi front hub
Kenda Nevegal DH Stick-E 2.7 front, 2.5 rear

6-Pack

'05 Firefly Plus 150mm
Syncros original Hardcore headset (eBay score for $15)
Answer ProTaper 28"/2" handlebar
Thomson 70mm 0deg stem
Hope Mono M4 200mm/180mm rotors
SRAM x-7 shifters
Ruffian ODI LockOn grips
RF Atlas 175mm crank/BB assembly
E13 DRS
Shima-no-no XT front der
SRAM 7.0 rear der
Thomson seatpost
WTB Rocket V Stealth saddle
Wheels are Hadley hubs, 14/15 spokes, new Mavic XM321 rims
Kenda Kinetics Stick-E Kevlar casing 2.35 front/rear

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.