Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of doing an epic (for me) tomorrow as I have the day off. Can anyone suggest some trail linkages to accomplish this? Or anyone want to be a guide? I've done the FO to Montebello (up to Black Mountain) and back over FO before but I'd like keep going at BM and somehow link up to some trails at Long Ridge and take something over to SG then back to Montebello. Never ridden in LR or SG.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
From Fremont Older, ride down the fireroad that leads to Steven's Canyon road. Ride to Steven's Canyon trail head, ride up until either Grizzly Flat or Table Mountain.

Go up either one of those to Saratoga gap.

Ride Saratoga gap to Long Ride to Russian Ridge.

At this point either ride Russian ridge trails or cross to the other side at Cloud Rest, Ride down White Oaks or...If you really want a long hard climb, go up Indian Creek, then down Bella Vista. Eventually links back to Steven's Canyon trail.

Decend this trail back to the road, then take the trail head leading back up to Fremont Older.

I did this once, but skipping the Fremont Older part. Took 4-5 hours. With Fremont Older and Steven's Canyon Road, that can easily lead to a 6 hours plus ride.

The elevation each time you go up or down something is about 1000 ft???? plus minus.
And you will do this more than a few times.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yep, listen to Loll - do the "loop" clockwise, ending at Black Mtn, not counter-clockwise starting there. For the best single-track, go FO-SC road, up Table Mtn (the one that is "uphill only" for bikes), then left on SG trail to the start (9 & Skyline), turn around and head back SG trail past where you came up, cross the road into LR, then take LR road to LR trail, then north onto the Bay Area Ridge Trail, and take that to Skyline Ridge. Head through that to the parking lots past the Xmas tree farm. You have lots of options depending on how tired you get - cross the road and head down back to SC, cross the road and head up to Black Mtn (various ways), continue through Skyline ridge (steep!) to Russian, skip the steep fireroads and take the road to Russian, then plenty of options there.

Or, if you need your head examined, you could continue all the way through Russian, head north on Skyline to Skeggs, ride some in Skeggs, head north to Purissima, bomb down to the ocean and then head back south and back up Alpine, then down back into Montebello and SC. I ran out of daylight last spring doing that. Too much road, if you have that kind of energy go to Coe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.