Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelling from CT ---> UT in the spring more than likely on Northwest Air. Any tips on how to get my bike there. Is there a charge for being an irregular shape (bike box). We'll be riding 5 days in and out of the Moab area. Last time I was there I rented from Poison Spider for $35/day - for 5 days that's about 1/2 of what I'm spending on airfare, plus I really dig my new ride. Should I ship it, fly with it, screw it and rent. What are your thoughts.

·
Prez NMBA
719 Posts
check with the airline, generally they charge $75 to $100 extra each way for a bike box. another option is to UPS or FedEx ground it out, just see if the place you are staying will accept it. You can also ship it to a bike shop but they generally want to put it together for you and charge you somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 to receive and do that. I would suggest if you do fly it or ship, buy or borrow a hard case. A used bike box from your LBS can do the trick but Ive also seen damage issues with that. If you ship it, make sure you take it to an actual UPS place, not a UPSStore, they are a franchise and mark of the shipping big time. FedExKinkos is a good option though, they dont seem to rape you. depending on insurance amount you are probably looking at $50 to $75 to do that each way. As you can see for a 5 day trip its about a wash renting vs plane, a little cheaper shipping but more of a hassle. but I would double check on that $35/day rate, seems pretty low for a nice dualy
best of luck and have a great time!

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
Box it yourself and go with FedEx Ground

Just calculated the rate from CT to UT. If you keep it under 50 pounds and 130 inches length and girth it will run you $44.01 with insurance. UPS is $72.44 for same size, weight, insurance. I usually fly United and it is $80 each way for a bike box. That said, I pay the $80 when my road bike is involved and ship via FedEx Ground when it is my mountain bike. Never had a problem either way.

Packing up a bike is easy. Just get a box and some pipe insulation and a tape gun.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you have time I would ship it. Back in my BMX racing days I had both my 20" and cruiser lost. Luckily it was on the flight home. They were found the next day so harm was done but it was not a good feeling.

I snow ski alot now and anytime I travel by plane to ski I ship the skis there and carry my boots as a carry on. When it is time to come home I put them on the plane.

Shipping you at least know that your bike got there. Be sure to check with the hotel and see if they will receive it. If not try and find a local bike shop that will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.