Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us got together Sunday AM for a well-paced "training" ride on and around DC...cycljunkie (Jim), scanjok (Shawn), NardoSS (umm...Nardo), CoyoteKis (Deanna) and waltaz (umm...Walt). From the ramadas, we did East/West Loops, Beverly over to DC, Secret, then DC to the end...then we flipped it.

Temps were better than expected, and it was a fun ride...until the Coyote flew on DC. Deanna took a horrendous crash at speed...she was ripping along an uneventful section and clipped a rock with her rear tire, which kicked her back end 45 degrees to the right, causing her front end to turn, and fricking augered her into the ground - face/shoulder/forearm/thigh-first...with her thigh/quad incurring the most damage.

I know, because I was right behind her, and had to skid and endo myself to avoid running right over her...

She was REALLY shaken up, and in alot of pain, but after some time to get her wits back about her, she gamely pedaled along until we could bail to the road at the water tank. Then she just pedaled with her good leg, and let the prosthetic one hang...

Should be nothing lasting, just a bunch of bruising and soreness for the week to come. Very fortunate, because it was a terrible crash.

Looking forward to her update...GET WELL SOON, DEANNA!!

Some pre-crash pics...
1. Theme for the ride...
2. Nardo and Shawn
3. Nardo climbing Beverly
4. CoyoteKis climbing on DC
5. Break time
6. Heading back, pre-crash
7. The saddle before dropping down to the west end of DC
8. What is Nardo doing with his hands?

Attachments

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
Good to see you guys out there today. When I first spotted you guys on the side of the trail I figured somebody had a flat and a repair session was in progress. As I got closer I got the stop sign from Jim and noticed Deanna on the ground. She was pretty shaken up, but after a few minutes it seemed like she was ready to keep moving, hopefully Deanna won't have a black eye for Christmas. Sorry we had to meet that way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ouch, Sorry to hear about the spill. These bodies are amazing things they heal pretty quickly. Sorry I missed you guys, I did DC from end to end then up telegraph pass and back on National. It was a fine day for a ride.

Brian

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ugg. Happy healing Deanna. If it's any help, I biffed big time on DC a few weeks back under nearly identical circumstnaces. trashed my front wheel and was airborn after a large rock rolled into my front wheel like the old stick in the spokes trick.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scanjok said:
Hope you recover quickly, Deanna. We will have to keep Walt from getting angry when you pass him on the downhills so you don't end up with those black eyes :D

I have starting drinking to your recovery
and playing a little Wii tennis there, Shawn...? :p

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
After lots of ice packs, a few "poor me" slices of pizza, and six beers (one cannot skimp during times of duress), I am happy to report that this coyote hairball is feeling less pain, and is going to live.

I have two sick bruises on my thighs, a nasty little shiner from my glasses :cool:, a swollen elbow and shoulder, and a re-aggravated rib injury from a SoMo scrub a few weeks ago.. BUT... I learned something today...

I learned that even on a reasonably flat, non-tech surface, if you do not choose your line carefully, prepare to plow dirt! Any lurking newbs pay close attention: It's NOT just your front tire that determines whether or not you keep the shiny side UP. :nono: I've always been under the impression (because I was told, by my very first riding partner, two years ago) that so long as your front tire can go over or around something, then your back tire will follow. NOT SO. When I went down, it happened so suddenly that my first thought was that my bike had fallen apart under me! One minute I was screamin' along like I do, next second, OOOOooomphh... mouth full of dirt, followed by a pain and panic-induced drop in blood pressure, which led to dry-heaving, spots in front of my eyes, crying, and Walt punching me really hard across the face ala Moonstruck because I would not calm down. That's how I REALLY got the shiner. :ihih: Heh.

Thank goodness I did not break anything, although the pain could have fooled me. It takes a lot to make this Coyote squall like a five year old in pigtails, but yeah, I lost it. Every single rotation felt like my thigh was being chomped in the mouth of a pitbull. No bueno.

But I made it out, and inspired more than a few people on the street as they witnessed the Christmas miracle of, "The Little Prosthetic-Legged MTBK'r that Could". ;) And my right quad is now the size of Walt's, from the long one-legged training-ride back. Guess I better hit the gym to even this out.

Thanks Waltnut, for all the trail-side care and for getting me back to the car. You kept me calm, when I was crying really hard you pretended to not notice that snot-bubbles were coming out of my nose, and you did not land on me when I failed to use my brake lights. We've all seen the Wizard of Oz, and you falling on me would have been like the house on the witch. :-D Thanks to rest of my buds, for the "no wounded soldier left behind" mentality. You all rock. *sniffle*

And thanks, seriously, to all those who gave me recovery-well-wishes!! I appreciate it, Happy Holidays, and just remember: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T DRINK AND RIDE!!
Cheers.

·
3,049 Posts
CoyoteKis said:
When I went down, it happened so suddenly that my first thought was that my bike had fallen apart under me! One minute I was screamin' along like I do, next second, OOOOooomphh... mouth full of dirt, followed by a pain and panic-induced drop in blood pressure, which led to dry-heaving, spots in front of my eyes, crying, and Walt punching me really hard across the face ala Moonstruck because I would not calm down...and just remember: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T DRINK AND RIDE!!
The best injury summary I've ever read.

Heal fast!

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
Heal up Deanna!

Lots of folks on here have "kissed" the ground a time or two on Desert Classic! Just like the desert, she's left many a rider bleeding and crying for momma.

heal fast!

·
Black and Sticky
771 Posts
Another DC Victim

Great injury report! Seems like easier trails often do the worst damage. About 15 years ago I crashed skiing on the bunny slope at Mt. Hood, OR...easy trail therefore going too fast, not paying attention, hung an edge, ouch!!! Oh yeah, and in front of about 200 beginner skiers. My shoulder and ego still haven't healed. Anyway, hope you heal quickly CK!

Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
My worst Biking injury was on DC. Stupid crash, moving fast on semi flat ground when my front tire had a catastrophic flat (air, no-air in 1-second). Lost the front end and went down hard. Tore the knee wide open. Bad picture here. Not a pretty site! I understand why some people wear knee pads.

I see full armor and a full face helmet in KoyoteKiss' future! With all that on you could just roll down the trails like a kid on a grass hill. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.