1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Showed up about an hour ago.
Assembly took about 45 minutes.
Gorgeous looking bike.
I hung it from a Pelouze vertical hanging scale I have here at work (by no means calibrated) and it was a hair UNDER 23 lbs. without pedals!
Very impressed so far.

Won't be able to ride it until after work and after I can figure out how to get air into these tires! (The valve stems look pretty different than on my old Raleigh).

More to come...

·
Registered
11 Posts
DUDE! When did you get the email to pay for it? I am totally Jonesing for mine to get here, but no email yet... Huge congratulations! Please share how that first ride is!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats

You gotta post pics Im dying to know if the color scheme is the same as on the site. I have yet to get my email either for payment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bd sent me one of the bikes they had flown over prior to the batch that is being sent by ship. you can read the whole story in my other thread 'no bikes at bd'

this is my 1st real mtb so i don't have a ton to compare to, only what i rod at lbs's the last month or so.

I rode around the 'hood' last night. feels amazing. better than any of the bikes I tested. great geometry. no issues with the front tire touching my feet when turning. super light. easy to 'bunny hop' and do wheelies. xtr feels very solid. i need to learn how to adjust the brakes as there is a bit too much 'dead zone' for my liking. bars feel a tiny bit narrow (I really like the wider bars on the GF superfly I rode) and the grips are very hard for foam.

overall this bike feels every bit as light and responsive as the superfly so far.

i'm looking forwad to getting it dirty this weekend

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rode quite a bit today and I am totally impressed with the bike. It's a very interesting ride. The Ti frame is so light and the tubing is so incredibly thin. If you tap it, it feels like you could almost crush like a soda can. I guess that's what makes Ti so unique. It seems like it's so delicate, but apparently it's rather strong.

This is my first 29er and the wheels are monsterous compared with 26". You see the roots and rock gardens, but barely feel them. You have to remind yourself that you'd be getting pounded on some other bikes. It's very well balanced and it almost feels like you're just riding two big wheels. The frame just sort of disappears from your awareness. A bit strange at first even.

BTW, the bike is fast. I ride quite a bit on the street and this thing does a decent impression of a road bike.

The brakes are sick. First bike I've owned with hydraulics. On my old bike I had to squeeze further AND harder to make it stop from a high speed. The Moto's brakes are so linear. You just squeeze more, but don't have to squeeze any harder. So easy to modulate and very gentle on your hand muscles too. It's like driving a car with power brakes vs. a car without them.

I'm getting used to the bars, but still wouldn't mind a tad more width. It's almost like they are a bit narrow for such a large bike. I guess I'll appreciate the narrowness more when riding tight trails maybe.

BTW, the bike looks EXACTLY like the one on their website. I tried to post pics yesterday, but the files were too large. I'll try again Sunday or Monday.

The bikes I test rode before buying this one were....

Cannondale Caffeine 29er
Fuji 29er
Niner custom build
Gary Fisher Paragon
Gary Fisher Superfly (took it for a long test ride through the woods)

The only one I rode that can compare to this Moto is the Superfly at more than twice the $. BD is not kidding when they make that claim on their website. The feel is remarkably similar. Both are extremely solid feeling bikes. I think I preferred the shifters (Sram) on the GF. It seemed like they were a bit shorter-throw than the XTRs. But I'm really nit-picking. For less than half the $, the Moto is a steal.

I need to buy a shock pump next as I think my 190 lbs is a bit much for the way the Reba is dialed in from the factory. Seems a tad bit squishy.

BTW, the spokes are flat, not round. I didn't pick that up looking at the pics on BD. And there is a bit of shaping to the tubing. It's not just round as it looks on the website. Oh yeah, I think there may be more room for larger rubber than it appears on the website. I didn't measure with a ruler yet, but I'd estimate there is about 1/2" or
5/8" of clearance on either side of the rear tire. I'll measure and post when I get a chance.

Feel free to ask any questions about the bike and I'll answer as best as I can.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took a quick spin on the 17" Fly Ti 29er bike that was supposedly at "the magazine" for the review , at the BD store here in JAX today. Surprisingly for a 17" the cockpit didn't feel as cramped as the 21" Fantom Comp DS I tested some months back.

A 19" 29er Ti may be in my future, but that will have to be it for me for a while. I only wish I knew more about the rumored 29er DS bikes from MB. Anyone?

Now what magazine review are they talking about?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay posting. I've been busy. This is the bike before I pumped up the tires. It's a whole lot dirtier now!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cartmed said:
Is that the stock handlebar? I thought is was aluminum. Is is anodized?
yes it is stock.

it is aluminum.

looks like black powder-coated. not sure how to tell if it's anodized.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Congrats. At first glance, it looks like a Fly Ti or Fantom Ti. Can't really see the difference with the big wheels.

More pics, please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BikesDirect Asked for Balance Today

I ordered a MotobecaneFly Titanium 29er last month paying a $200 deposit--and today (6/22/09) an email arrived asking for the balance of $1595.95. Paid the balance and was told the bikes are arriving this week and will be shipped out to customers this Friday or Monday. Can't wait for my first 29er--I mainly ride a 26" Santa Cruz Blur 2009 LT2. https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/smile5.gif

·
Registered
93 Posts
Argh ... I ordered first day it was available, about six months ago. Still no e-mail to make payment. Must be going through the list backwards :) ... new PD-M770 pedals are waiting, along with Bontrager carbon stem, handbars and seat post ... they say patience is a virtue .... aiiiiiigh! :)

Filippo

·
Registered
999 Posts
fmorelli said:
Argh ... I ordered first day it was available, about six months ago. Still no e-mail to make payment. Must be going through the list backwards :) ... new PD-M770 pedals are waiting, along with Bontrager carbon stem, handbars and seat post ... they say patience is a virtue .... aiiiiiigh! :)

Filippo
Hi
Thanks for the order
If you do not get a payment request by this evening; please PM me your name so I can see where it is.

Staff is sending out payment requests all day today; but should finish by tonite

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
<<Originally Posted by fmorelli
.. new PD-M770 pedals are waiting, along with Bontrager carbon stem, handbars and seat post ... ... aiiiiiigh! :) Filippo>>

Flippo--your accessories sound intriguing--as I definitely want to lighten up my Fly Ti 29er as much as possible. I ordered a small size frame and I have only a pair of eggbeater steel pedals waiting--about 260g each.

How much weight do you expect to shave off with the carbon stem, handlebars and seatpost? I may get a carbon handlebar just for shock absorbing value. Also, can you post your total weight here once you build it (and I'll post mine--which will be stock) ?

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
ecrock45 said:
Seat Post Ritchey PRO Aluminum 27.2x350mm
That's what it said about Fly Ti (though with WCS variety), but it is actually 31.6. I would think that 29r is 31.6 as well.

BD website is not the most reliable place, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts