Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here she is in all her glory after what seems like and eternity of waiting to step out of the dark and in to the light that is the Turner Forum. Can I now show my face without shame!?!

These were taken prior to our first torrid affair and I have to admit that even after listening to you all say how good Turner Bikes are, your praise does not even come close to describing how amazing they really are.

I've climbed stuff that nobody has cleared before, left my mates trailing on the descents - this bike is going to put me in hospital! She is a hard task master and I don't think I can do her justice - I hope she won't leave me for another man!

I think the 52 mile Enduro that I entered on Sunday sums things up. After 6 hrs 9 minutes on an extremely technical course we crossed the line to finish 27th. I am finished, but this bike has simply done everything that I have asked of it and I don't think I have come anywhere near close to reaching the potential limits of this great bike - thank you DT.

I'll stick the detailed spec on the Flux database, but just for the record she weighs in at 27.04lbs. Happy trails

Mfezi

P.S. Many thanks to Tscheezy for helping me sort out the photos and preventing me from getting flamed by all you homers - no pun intended!

·
Full Monty Bike Bore
483 Posts
Hold your head high fella 'cos thats a nice looking ride you have there, well done.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi jjcarr

I started out on a Lee Cougan Predator XT (4 inch full suss) but have been on a Cove Handjob for the past 6 months after breaking the frame on the LC. It did well for a first bike but I got UGI and ended up putting an RP3, Marathon S, Hope Mono Mini's and Hope / Mavic wheels on it so it finished nothing like the original bike. Ultimately the RP3 converted the bike and made it useable.

The Cove is my training bike and brought me back to reality by improving my skills and line choices. Can't afford to get too sloppy when there isn't a heap of travel to get you out of trouble.

Did you have any particular curiosity?

Mfezi

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tappoix said:
NO! Never post another pic with blue tape on your headbadge, you pugnacious pedal pusher! Shameful! :p
Doh!!!

I tried not to get flamed for saying I'd got a new Turner without posting any pictures (which for the record I couldn't even do with Tscheezy's help!), and when I finally do, I make a schoolboy error and forget to unrobe my beauty in the hurry to show her off to the public!

I'll crawl back to my hole in deepest darkest Surrey - forever to ride at night and alone!! The shame of it!

Mfezi

·
Registered
62 Posts
you guys are killin' me with your new toys

Man does it stir the soul to see these two new Fluxes. They are sweet. And they are about to throw me over the edge into getting a new toy. And so here is my question/dilemma of the moment in regards to choice. I currently have an XCE for all around riding, which has been awesome, and an NRS Air which I picked up at the the end of last year from friend's shop for a killer deal. I use the NRS for adventure racing stuff; great ride but I get frustrated at times by the low BB which leads to much pedal bashing on surface level roots, etc. Thinking strongly about selling the XCE and getting a 5 Spot, but then sometimes I think the Flux may be the way to go. Or, perhaps I overhaul it all, sell both, build a stout 5 Spot and a racey Flux (which I think has a higher BB than the NRS). My LBS owner buddy gives me some serious bro-deal action, so doing the overhaul is feasible, but in my own head my not be justifiable, and really isn't all the necessary. Hmmm, would a stout Spot and a racey Flux have too much overlap? If I replace just the XCE, should I go Spot or Flux? Thoughts anyone?

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
TBaggers said:
Hmmm, would a stout Spot and a racey Flux have too much overlap? If I replace just the XCE, should I go Spot or Flux? Thoughts anyone?
My $.02 is that I have a racy Flux and a 5" RFX setup for heavy trail duty and there is not too much overlap. Doing the same ride (semi-technical rocky singletrack climb/descent) on the different bikes changes the approach completely. On the Flux I can get up the hills faster (on the non-technical sections) and descend with a little bit of finesse arriving at the bottom with a smile on my face. This is the racer in me doing some training. On the RFX, it is all about spinning up to the top-clocks be damned-and bombing back down and arriving at the bottom with a sh!t eating grin on my face. Same trail, different bikes, different mentalities.

Hope this helps.

-Paul

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Did you get the black through Turner? How much extra was black?

It looks very very sweet. None of the standard colours grab me.

Cheers

Stu

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
TX, you got the Deore hydros with XT rotors, I just sold a pair of those on Ebay. Great brakes. Of course I'm trying to change the subject since I'm drooling over your ride. Niiiiiiiicccce...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stuart B said:
Did you get the black through Turner? How much extra was black?

It looks very very sweet. None of the standard colours grab me.

Cheers

Stu
Hi Stu

I got my frame through Wrench Science in the States and had it shipped over with the fork and wheels. I think it cost me about $150 extra over the standard finish and I'm sure that most of the US based dealers will be able to get pretty much which ever colour you like. All in all I saved about £800 doing this way and then building up the rest over here.

Cheers

Mfezi

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Mfezi said:
Hi Stu

I got my frame through Wrench Science in the States and had it shipped over with the fork and wheels. I think it cost me about $150 extra over the standard finish and I'm sure that most of the US based dealers will be able to get pretty much which ever colour you like. All in all I saved about £800 doing this way and then building up the rest over here.

Cheers

Mfezi
How much was shipping and duty for the UK? I just looked at your details and saw you here too...I assumed you were American.

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stuart B said:
How much was shipping and duty for the UK? I just looked at your details and saw you here too...I assumed you were American.

Cheers

Stu
Stu

The exact details of what I purchased US are the Frame, Fork (Float RLC) and Chris King Wheels as well. All in all, it cost me £2,035, but saved me £925 from buying it direct here in the UK. If you speak to a guy called Chris Dadzitis at Wrench Science ([email protected]) he will probably remember me. He was really helpful and their website allows you to play around building up various specs before committing.

The commodity code you will need is 8714 9110 19 which will mean you pay 4.7% Duty on the Sterling equivalent of the purchase price. I think the shipping was about $100 but this is included in the saving that I calculated above.

If you need any other answers or need me to explain how it all works then PM me.

Cheers

Mfezi

·
Full Monty Bike Bore
483 Posts
I'll 2nd the self import route, my savings were similar from Chad @ RedBarnBicycles.com

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
TBaggers said:
Hmmm, would a stout Spot and a racey Flux have too much overlap?
Not anymore than a stout XCE and racey NRS; maybe less. This is exactly what I'm doing, and the difference will be 6.5 lbs. weight wise, not to mention the different cockpit/suspension set ups.

BTW the bottom bracket on the Flux is only .1" lower than on your XCE, so it sounds like it would work for you better than the NRS in that regard.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
TBaggers said:
Hmmm, would a stout Spot and a racey Flux have too much overlap?
I have a stout XCE and a stout 5 Spot and I don't think they have too much overlap, let alone what you are suggesting. They are very complimentary rides. Look at the Moab posts from Superstock - he has the Flux/Spot combo you mentioned and he definately has it grooved.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Mfezi said:
Stu

The exact details of what I purchased US are the Frame, Fork (Float RLC) and Chris King Wheels as well. All in all, it cost me £2,035, but saved me £925 from buying it direct here in the UK. If you speak to a guy called Chris Dadzitis at Wrench Science ([email protected]) he will probably remember me. He was really helpful and their website allows you to play around building up various specs before committing.

The commodity code you will need is 8714 9110 19 which will mean you pay 4.7% Duty on the Sterling equivalent of the purchase price. I think the shipping was about $100 but this is included in the saving that I calculated above.

If you need any other answers or need me to explain how it all works then PM me.

Cheers

Mfezi
Nice one, cheers bud

Stu

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.