Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in research mode on replacing my 2008 Ventana Salty. I love the Salty's durability, looks and handling, but climbing is its achilles - so I want something equally stout to withstand my 6'4" 175# frame. Something that can still rip down Mr Toads Wild Ride, but light enough to do an xc race or two. I've owned one DW bike and am confident the Flux will do well in that area.

I am not going to buy any commie crap - so no ibis or pivots, please!

Please post your expereinces with this bike - and if you're tall like me - tell me about your build, what size you ride and what the final weight came out to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
960 Posts
I had a saltamontes for 3 years myself. nice bike. problem with the flux is that
you will want to climb more and piss off your friends. also Taiwan is not a commie
country.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtbmitch2 said:
I had a saltamontes for 3 years myself. nice bike. problem with the flux is that
you will want to climb more and piss off your friends. also Taiwan is not a commie
country.
You're right, of course.

More info on sizing and what a reasonable target weight would be great. I just sold my hardtail - so I want to build up something that is light/efficient enough for a few xc races.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
35,682 Posts
It's true that the "DW" versions of the classic bikes are a little more trail oriented, but I couldn't think of ripping down toads without a slacker headtube angle. I kind of live for those types of descents, but still ride everywhere on usually the same bike. I don't know how important "racing" is to you, but when you say "ripping down Toad's" it's kind of the opposite of XC racing and for me it's lower the seat time for the rippin DH on my 5-6ish travel bike. I wouldn't think of bringing a strict XC bike for that kind of ride, since the climbs are fairly sustained (rather than severly short ups and downs where a bigger bike takes a bigger toll on you IMO).

If you need an XC bike for racing, I'd suggest a hardtail 29er. They absolutely rip under any sort of skilled/fit rider's hands, and you can keep the price down. As efficient as the Flux and Sultan are, a hardtail is even more efficient, and lighter. I think 29er hardtails have kind of undercut 26er XC FS bikes with 3-4" of travel. It's true that there's no replacement for travel, but at those amounts of travel the 29er rolls over stuff as well or better, and preserves more momentum. Then you're kind of freed up to have a more dedicated trail/am bike for most of the riding (if you live for the DHs like me).

Anyway, just a thought...
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jayem said:
It's true that the "DW" versions of the classic bikes are a little more trail oriented, but I couldn't think of ripping down toads without a slacker headtube angle. I kind of live for those types of descents, but still ride everywhere on usually the same bike. I don't know how important "racing" is to you, but when you say "ripping down Toad's" it's kind of the opposite of XC racing and for me it's lower the seat time for the rippin DH on my 5-6ish travel bike. I wouldn't think of bringing a strict XC bike for that kind of ride, since the climbs are fairly sustained (rather than severly short ups and downs where a bigger bike takes a bigger toll on you IMO).
The build I'd go with would be similar to my Salty - adjustable 100-130 mil fork in the front.

This is really all that's needed on toads. I'm pretty sure the Flux would do well, too. Don't know if you saw the various threads - but I opted to not use the Foes FXR on these rides - 60 plus miles is hard enough without the extra weight and travel. The Salty was more than adequate.

I am somewhat concerned about flex with the Flux.

Given that I have an 8" dh bike and a 6" freeallridemountain bike, and that I just sold my hardtail - I want to keep this bike in the 4" range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Good combination

iheartbicycles said:
The build I'd go with would be similar to my Salty - adjustable 100-130 mil fork in the front.QUOTE]
I've recently finished my flux build and had a few different combinations.
First it had an old minute 100-130mm fork. at 100mm the flux was/is perfectly balanced on most downhill, flat and especially climbs. extended out to 130mm the back squatted down a bit too much for comfortable flat or climbs but ZOOOOOMed on steep d/h. I replaced it with a fox float 100mm fork for the slight weight savings and I'd just deal with the stupid steeps as they came up.
I'm only 5'10" @ 180# so a large or x large frame would be perfect for ya. BTW, flux climbs like my SS or fixie but has more cush, go figger?

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ATL_DrzRdYR88z9HkTYZ0w?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="http://lh4.ggpht.com/_zG92MMv-AwM/SqQ86MTPRyI/AAAAAAAAAxQ/C9UEsjCE1sA/s144/Coldwater%20047.JPG" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/bob.redhaze.stanton/20090902Coldwater?feat=embedwebsite">2009-09-02 Coldwater</a></td></tr></table>
 

·
It ain't easy being Green
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Couple comments:
1. The words "Flux" and "flex" do not belong in the same sentence. There is none.
2. You would need an XL frame; I'm 6' 1" and my "L" only just fits.
3. Built with Fox F100, XTR, Spinergy wheels, Easton carbon bar and Thomson stem & post my Flux weighs in at a hair over 25 pounds.
4. I built this bike primarily for XC racing but it handles everything except the roughest downhill with ease. And the climbing! The damn thing can climb almost anything :thumbsup:

Read "The Engineers" Flux thread for more info; he's been test riding Flux and comparing it to Epic and other bikes.
 

·
Moosehead
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
+1 to what sdcabiker said. I'm 225 lbs and don't notice any flex on an 08 flux.

Love it set at 100m for most riding, events, and certainly extended climbing and miles. Wind it up to 120mm for extended downs. Sure you'd love a Spot or even RFX for Toads downhill, but if you're riding up and lapping 60 miles, Flux will serve you well, espec the DWL and an adjust fork.
 

·
Powered by ice cream.
Joined
·
6,355 Posts
Did you consider the Sultan since it sort of splits the difference between the Flux and Spot. You might like it a lot at your size.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enel said:
Did you consider the Sultan since it sort of splits the difference between the Flux and Spot. You might like it a lot at your size.
No thanks. I ride pretty damn aggresively on the downhills and like the bike to be flickable. Also 29'ers are much heavier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,233 Posts
Owned a Flux (TNT) and a Salty. The DWL Flux is going to be a faster bike and a better climber. Here are my comparo thoughts:

Flux was faster and a better climber overall.
Salty had a higher BB and shorter wheelbase so was easier to lift the front but harder to keep down in some cases.
Salty was a bit stiffer (at least stiffer than the TNT Flux) and heavier. The TT was shorter and tubing seemed heavier.
My Flux was 5.85 (Ano though) while the Salty was 6.2 or so.
The Flux was less endo-prone with its lower BB and slightly longer wheelbase. It felt more stable and lower-slung. The Salty could be more fun when the ledge climbing business came around since it was super-easy to raise the front. You either like a high BB or you do not.
The Salty bobbed more without propedal on and had a bit more rearward weight bias.

They were pretty different from each other though they had the same travel.

I owned them both at the same time. I would not offhandedly recommend one over the other since they were pretty different but if you want a fast climber, the DWL Flux will be a league above. If you want to use it as a techy-trail, trials-moves bike, I'd recommend the Salty. With its higher BB and short WB, it is really easy to hop around on.

Fast DH- the Salty felt a bit more solid but the TNT Flux's geo made it feel safer at speed. It basically had a lower COG and a longer WB.

Both are very nimble, One really feels lower slung and better at speed while the Salty feels better on slow moves where you basically have to hop the bike a lot and climb ledges and rocks at slow- balance speeds.

One other thing- the DWL Flux will be more active under braking- the Salty stiffened a bit. My TNT Flux stiffened a bit too.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flyer said:
Owned a Flux (TNT) and a Salty. The DWL Flux is going to be a faster bike and a better climber. Here are my comparo thoughts:

Flux was faster and a better climber overall.
Salty had a higher BB and shorter wheelbase so was easier to lift the front but harder to keep down in some cases.
Salty was a bit stiffer (at least stiffer than the TNT Flux) and heavier. The TT was shorter and tubing seemed heavier.
My Flux was 5.85 (Ano though) while the Salty was 6.2 or so.
The Flux was less endo-prone with its lower BB and slightly longer wheelbase. It felt more stable and lower-slung. The Salty could be more fun when the ledge climbing business came around since it was super-easy to raise the front. You either like a high BB or you do not.
The Salty bobbed more without propedal on and had a bit more rearward weight bias.

They were pretty different from each other though they had the same travel.

I owned them both at the same time. I would not offhandedly recommend one over the other since they were pretty different but if you want a fast climber, the DWL Flux will be a league above. If you want to use it as a techy-trail, trials-moves bike, I'd recommend the Salty. With its higher BB and short WB, it is really easy to hop around on.

Fast DH- the Salty felt a bit more solid but the TNT Flux's geo made it feel safer at speed. It basically had a lower COG and a longer WB.

Both are very nimble, One really feels lower slung and better at speed while the Salty feels better on slow moves where you basically have to hop the bike a lot and climb ledges and rocks at slow- balance speeds.

One other thing- the DWL Flux will be more active under braking- the Salty stiffened a bit. My TNT Flux stiffened a bit too.
That sounds good. I like low bottom brackets. More carve-able.. My riding style is much more flowy- go fast and carve rather than trials or whatever. I just haul balls.

The squat in the Salty is insufferable. It's too bad cause it's such a nice bike - but I'm fighting it on the long uphills.

My salty is the 20" and it fits great. I guess I need to find a demo size L and XL to find out which to go with. I always hesitate to go with too big of a frame as I like the "flickable" feeling of shorter wheel bases - but obviously at 6'4" I'm a bit lanky

Does competetive cyclist still do that demo program?

(edit) and I'd really like to hear more from lanky people like me - what size you ride, what your set up is and what it weighs. Unfortunately I haven't found much in searching the forums...
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
red-haze.com said:
iheartbicycles said:
The build I'd go with would be similar to my Salty - adjustable 100-130 mil fork in the front.QUOTE]
I've recently finished my flux build and had a few different combinations.
First it had an old minute 100-130mm fork. at 100mm the flux was/is perfectly balanced on most downhill, flat and especially climbs. extended out to 130mm the back squatted down a bit too much for comfortable flat or climbs but ZOOOOOMed on steep d/h. I replaced it with a fox float 100mm fork for the slight weight savings and I'd just deal with the stupid steeps as they came up.
I'm only 5'10" @ 180# so a large or x large frame would be perfect for ya. BTW, flux climbs like my SS or fixie but has more cush, go figger?

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ATL_DrzRdYR88z9HkTYZ0w?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="http://lh4.ggpht.com/_zG92MMv-AwM/SqQ86MTPRyI/AAAAAAAAAxQ/C9UEsjCE1sA/s144/Coldwater%20047.JPG" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/bob.redhaze.stanton/20090902Coldwater?feat=embedwebsite">2009-09-02 Coldwater</a></td></tr></table>
That's a nice looking bike. Does Turner offer custom colors by chance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,233 Posts
I had a 20" Salty and a large (19"?) Flux. The Flux was definitely a longer in the TT- maybe a half inch or so.

I believe the Flux had a 24.2 ETT while the Salty was 24.7" or 24.9" (EDIT- the Salty was either 23.7" or 23.9.) The Flux dimensions may have changed now but should still be very close and still longer than the Salty so be careful if you lean towards the XL. If you like the 20" Salty sizing, I'd easily recommend the large Flux. Let us know what you end up doing.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Flyer said:
I had a 20" Salty and a large (19"?) Flux. The Flux was definitely a longer in the TT- maybe a half inch or so.

I believe the Flux had a 24.2 ETT while the Salty was 24.7" or 24.9". The Flux dimensions may have changed now but should still be very close and still longer than the Salty so be careful if you lean towards the XL. If you like the 20" Salty sizing, I'd easily recommend the large Flux. Let us know what you end up doing.
Thanks dude. I'm confused. Do you have those tt measurements backwards? You said the flux had a longer tt than the salty...

and how tall are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,233 Posts
Sorry, I edited my measurements- Salty was 23.7" or 23.9". I am 6' with a 34" inseam and long arms (span is an easy 6'3"). I use a wide bar (28"-29") so if I go longer in the TT, I start to feel too leaned over.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Flyer said:
Retro but still cool...awesome bikes. Dug up these pics.....
those are great lookig bikes. Hardly retro. Timeless!
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top