Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently built up a 2006 Flux (love it!). But switching the pro-pedal lever to any of the positions doesn't seem to have any noticable affect on the shock operation. I thought maybe the the effect of the pro-pedal circuit was more subtle than a gumby like me could detect, but I was checking out a buddies Cannindale Rush with an RP3, and when you put the lever on "+" it feels almost locked out. Could my shock be not working correctly?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have had the same issue. I way 140 lbs with camelback fully loaded and run about 150 psi in the rp3. Some of the people I ride with have told me there should be more of a difference and that my rp3 may be defective. Others say I have too much pressure in the shock. If I run any less pressure than that, I can feel the rear end squating on climbs even in propedal. I have an 06 flux also.

I just figured the difference is suppose to be small.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
its been a few months since i set mine up (dont get me started or im gonna cry) but i think thats a bit heavy. how much sag ya got? get a pal or use the o ring to measure. be sure to step off all easy like so ya dont get a false reading.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm about 185-190 with gear, I'm running 180psi in the shock, I'm not sure what the sag is. The rear end feels good, firm, but active, and I seem to be using most of my travel. To be honest, I'm not really fond of fox shocks, mostly because of durability and mainenance issues, and I'm thinking of swapping in a Cane Creek and selling the fox. I want to make sure it's working correctly though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can't remeber, but I had called Turner, and they had suggested using a zip tie instead of the rubber band. So that is what was done and pretty sure we had sag set to what they said it should be.

I just pretty much kept full pro pedal on all of the time. I have been happy with the ride of the bike, but have come to think the pro pedal settings are just a bs gimick by fox.

I next couple of weeks I'm going to send my shox to push and have them do there thing, we shall see if that makes a difference or if they find any thing wrong with the shock.

·
12,942 Posts
you guys arent bein super clear so ill just say this. sag should be between 20 and 25% of the stroke. stoke of the rp3 on the flux is 1.5". thats roughly .3" or about 3/8". use yer calculator and dbl check as im just pullin numbers outta my head between shoots here at work.

let me repeat, there are 3 definative settings on a rp3. its not a gimick. if yers isnt responding, its either set up like crap or its broken. push is a supreme idea, broken or not.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Addtional random info

RobInfo said:
I've recently built up a 2006 Flux (love it!). But switching the pro-pedal lever to any of the positions doesn't seem to have any noticable affect on the shock operation. I thought maybe the the effect of the pro-pedal circuit was more subtle than a gumby like me could detect, but I was checking out a buddies Cannindale Rush with an RP3, and when you put the lever on "+" it feels almost locked out. Could my shock be not working correctly?
Not sure if this will be of any help. I have an 06 Flux and have found that I have to run my psi over well 200 to get the full position to feel almost locked out, and then sag is only around 6mm. (I weigh 250#) I genearlly set sag at 11 mm/25% and leave it. Feel there is a difference between full and light, but not the mid setting.

CC, you may want to correct me on this, but I think that the heavier the rider, the less solid the feeling of the full propedal--or do you think that more air fixes the issue?

Also, there are 3 internal propedal settings that Builders can choose from--Turner uses the RP3 with the light propedal setting, CDale may use an RP3 with a different setting, thus the different feel. I'll have a look at a Rush when I go down to my LBS today. But hey, it might just be a matter of getting the right amount of air in the can.

·
12,942 Posts
i dunno rd. im a pretty small guy whos generally easy on parts. bigger guys in the 200 + range may wanna consider a bigger air can like some of the dhxa guys did. ive not set up a rp3 for a clyde, yet. tlud and a few others may be of some help on that one. search his posts perhaps.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
cactuscorn said:
i dunno rd. im a pretty small guy whos generally easy on parts. bigger guys in the 200 + range may wanna consider a bigger air can like some of the dhxa guys did. ive not set up a rp3 for a clyde, yet. tlud and a few others may be of some help on that one. search his posts perhaps.
Yeah, I just keep putting air into it to get the level of PP I want :D :D :D

Acutally, dropping some more weight off my a** would probably solve the prob--but I'll check tlud's posts, and maybe email jrat. thanx!

·
Registered
332 Posts
CC

Based on what you are telling me I lean toward the thing being broken, probably since it came from Turner back January 06. I will double check the sag, but I'm pretty confident that when we came up with the 150 psi that it put the sag where it should be. This was back early may when I started questioning the propedal settings.

I also have to add air on ocasion, frequency depends on how much I ride the bike.

Thanks for the help

Chris

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My riding weight is approx. 215lbs on an 06 Flux, Pushed Rp3 w/208psi at 20% sag. Prior to pushing the shock, I tried everything but could not get the shock to perform as I liked. If I ran 25% sag the shock would squat and blow through it's travel. To overcome this I would run higher psi. This would firm things up but at the expense of performance. IMHO, for a clyde on a stock Rp3, you are not experiencing the full capabilities of the Flux. Be specific when questioned by push regarding how you ride and like your Propedal. I also found my pushed shock to be very sensitive to small psi changes. I received my shock with 205 which felt alittle soft. I put 210 and it felt very harsh. Tried 208, it is perfect w/ rebound set #2 from slow.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Gotta echo some of the comments made by previous posters. I am 160lbs out of the shower and I run my RP3 on the Flux at 140-150psi depending on the terrain. I have never been able to definitively tell which position of the PP switch felt stiffer. I always have to go back to the manual and remind myself if it is the + or the - ... Also, I have been having issues with the shock blowing through the travel in the rough, or bucking me very harshly at bottom-out on high-speed hits (like going over a 10in log at speed).

Late last year I pulled the trigger on one of the closeout RP3 from Push and just installed it on the Flux. First, it looks like they sent it back with about 135psi and the shock sags about 20%, right where I want it. Secondly, even just leaning on the seat I can feel the difference between each of the PP positions. In fact, it may have been valved with a little too much platform, but we'll see as soon as I am able to try the bike on a trail.

·
12,942 Posts
one thing ive noticed was when the temp dipped below about 30 deg or so, my pr3 worked like poop and was prone to stickin down. this has not been the case with other air shocks, fox or otherwise. i have no explination for this but i can tell ya ive seen a trend. not sure if pushin it fixes this little problem but ive heard far less reports from those who have.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had the same problem on my Flux/RP3. Additionally, the shock was overwhelmed on fast rocky descents even with the rebound at full fast.

I sent the shock to Push. It's the best money I've spent on the bike. The pro pedal settings are discernable and the rebound works like it should.

·
12,942 Posts
this is gettin more wierd. i wonder if fox had a bad batch? or 2? somethin tells me i heard of this last year and they were happy to fix em up. somethin also tells me the fixes didnt work out so well and most had em pushed anyway. anyone recall the details? maybe this was for the rash of stuck down shocks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.