Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a decent comparison on these 2 bikes? I'm trying to decide between the two. From what I've heard the Rx is less plush than the Flux. I'm using it for trail riding and endurance racing on the east coast with lots of roots. I like plush, so I'm leaning toward the Flux, but I can get a better deal on a Rx.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
farmertan said:
Can anyone give me a decent comparison on these 2 bikes? I'm trying to decide between the two. From what I've heard the Rx is less plush than the Flux. I'm using it for trail riding and endurance racing on the east coast with lots of roots. I like plush, so I'm leaning toward the Flux, but I can get a better deal on a Rx.

Thanks for any input.
I have a Sultan (same suspension as the Flux) and use it for exactly what you're describing. I throw on light tires for 100 mile races, and have the Rampages on for day to day riding.

From what I understand the Flux is more plush and the Racer-x has a more xc feel. Personally I like the slightly more relaxed geometry of the Turners when the going gets rough after many hours in the saddle.

I'd suggest posting on the Titus board as well. There's a guy over there that raced a Flux for a year or so and is currently on a Racer-x.

Dave

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Use the "Advanced Search" as there are several threads comparing the two. But the sum of the consensus is as you describe it. The Flux has a more plush trailbike flavor, really nice for east coast rocky rooty riding. The RX is snappier and firmer and more reactive handling which gives it a racier feeling. Neither is Faster per se, esp over terrain that varies. That is b/c each will slightly outshine the other in it's element and average out.

With the constant ups and downs and techy NE trails I think you might prefer the extra plushness and more confidenet slacker geometry of the Flux. Riding both would really be a good idea if you can.

Here are a few threads:
Here's one
Here's another
And another
And another other

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have ridden RXs for 7 years.....

I'm now on a 07 5 Spot. I recommend the Flux. Rode an 80 mm RX for 3 years and a Hammerhead (100 mm RX) for 4 more. They were great frames....purchased a 07 5 Spot in December after considering getting a Flux. I live in SW Idaho and 2000 to 3000 ft of elevation is typical on a ride. I'm amazed at how well my 29 lb 5 Spot climbs.....can only imagine how well the Flux would perform on the same trails.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
I have ridden both in numerous incarnations ( alum RX, carbon RX, HH100, 06-08 fluxes). The flux with the new rp23 can be almost as snappy and firm as a racer-x but can be pretty supple too. The biggest difference is when you stand up. The Turners seem to mush around a lot more in the rear even when the rp23 is in firm mode than the racer-x suspension does. So ask yourself, are you a stand up masher, or a sit and spin kinda guy? If you love to stand and sprint, I would say get the Titus. Don't forget the turner bushings as a major selling point. My bearing on my titus frames lasted a while but the cost over bushings will add up over time.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
The Flux is a better endurance racer- it isn't as firm and twitchy when things get steep. The Racer-X is a great racer but too steep and firm to make a great trailbike as well. It is very firm and a better stand-up mashing bike. I know the Flux has a slacker headtube angle but I think it also has a longer wheelbase so it is significantly more stable. If your trails are very twisty, the Racer-X will be a bit easier to handle around the sharpest corners but will require more focus everywhere once you start getting fatigued.

The Flux would be among my top two choices in an endurance racer.

·
Registered
999 Posts
farmertan said:

Thanks for any input.
I have owned a couple of Racer Xs and currently have a Flux. Both are really solid bikes. Based on the fact you want to use this for trail riding and endurance riding I believe the Flux would be a better choice. The Racer X is designed to be more of an XC race bike. The Racer X is very quick and snappy but is not as plush as the Flux. Both bikes are great climbers. I would give a slight advantage to the RX on the climbs. However, on the descents the Flux has the advantage. The Flux also has the balanced feel. The Flux is also better in the rock gardens. I have always been impressed with how plush the Flux feels for a four inch travel bike. For spending a long time in the saddle as you would for endurance racing or perhaps epic trail rides the Flux would be a better choice than the Racer X.

·
illiterate or intoxicated
421 Posts
Couch Shot

Come on Mark V., where is that couch shot?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts