Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
grodderick
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up my new flux and the last piece I need is a seat post. I'm 5'10" with a medium frame. Any suggestions on what length of seatpost I should get? I don't want to get longer than I need but also don't want it to be too short. Also brands, etc. I'm looking at the Thomson Elite, as well as various other carbons (Easton, etc.). Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
a 367mm might be ok but id guess its on the cusp. play it safe and get a 410mm. never run it shorter than 4" insertion or through the top tube, whatever is longer. thats a little seat post humor.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
I'm running a 400mm Easton EC90 carbon post. I'm the same height and have a medium Flux too. That leaves plenty of post left for appropriate insertion depth.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
i've got a 410 on my large flux, i'm 5'9'' with long legs and arms (33'' inseam), and that's way more than plenty length for me...

...i like them long! ;)

·
grodderick
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike I'm graduating from is a Klein Adept Race, size medium as well. Standing the Flux and Klein side by side, the seat post collar is almost exactly the same height, as well as the stem/bars. I'm using about 9.5 inches of seat post on my Klein. With a Thomson seat post, the 330mm length allows 263.5mm of usable length, or 10.66 inches. By my calculations, I should be safe with a 330-350mm seatpost, at least with Thomson. Concur? Haven't seen what the usable length is on other brands yet. Thanks for the replies.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
By my math, 9.5" of post is about ~240mm. That leaves 90mm to go into frame with a 330mm post. That leaves you about 10mm short. A 350mm post would leave you just enough. I just went to the longer post to make sure it goes in far enough. You just need to make sure that when the post is at the right height. Take an existing post at that would be at the correct height for you and make sure that it will extend into the seat tube down past where it intersects with the top tube.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I'm 5'11" (33" pant inseam) on a Large and running 400mm. I run 400 to be on the safe side since saving a few grams on a seatpost doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have the seatpost inserted a couple of inches past the minimum insertion point. If there is one thing that mentally bothers me, it's not running a seatpost deep enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts