Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time deciding which fork to get for my lonely new Flux frame.
I'm considering the Reba Team (set at 100mm or the U-turn which goes to 115mm), or the new Revelation U-turn which converts from 115 to 130mm. Or even the Fox Talas which ranges from 85 to 130mm... :confused:

So, how many of you ride a 100mm fork and wish you had more travel? ...or not? Is over 100mm too much for this frame?

How many use taller forks, and what is your opinion on this subject?

There is quite a variety of forks on the set-up sticky, so I'm asking for opinions/reviews.
thnx!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a TALAS on my Flux. For me the "sweet spot" for travel 100 to 105 mm. Travel above 115 the front end begins to drift particularly on climbs.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
JTBAZ said:
I have a TALAS on my Flux. For me the "sweet spot" for travel 100 to 105 mm. Travel above 115 the front end begins to drift particularly on climbs.
Agreed. I've got a U Turn Reba on mine. Same thing - 100-105mm for general all around use is the best. Sometimes I'll bump it up to 115 for a really long or rough downhill, but I really have to stay over the front end of the bike to keep it stuck.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
yep. pretty much what iggy says. but im a talus man. dig this fork! dont be afeared to dial it down for long or ultra steep climbs too. this returns the geo to more of a flat surface number, putting yer weight more fwd on the swingarm, therefore fakin the rear shock into its normal behavur. a little tip from dt. and man does this work fine!

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. Nobody here saying that "bigger is better"... :p

Sounds like if I saved some money and some weight by going w/ a fixed 100mm, I wouldn't be missing much... :confused:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
not really bop. most of us are sayin bigger is better, just not alot bigger and only when the time is right. i also said smaller is sometimes better. therefore a talus is a very good choice but not the only one. good luck in yer decision.

·
cask conditioned
625 Posts
I like the Talas more for it's stiffness and feel rather than being able to adjust it. I keep it at around 100mm, even on the big descents. When I've cranked it up between 113-125mm the handling just plain sucked. It's nice to be able to dial it down for long, steep climbs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Experimenting with it now

I've been riding my Flux with a 100mm Fox up front, but just put on my old '99 Z1, with 130mm. I'm going to give it a go, and see how it feels. I'll report back.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
ignazjr said:
Agreed. I've got a U Turn Reba on mine. Same thing - 100-105mm for general all around use is the best. Sometimes I'll bump it up to 115 for a really long or rough downhill, but I really have to stay over the front end of the bike to keep it stuck.
Ditto. I'll also dial it down for steep climbs that are going on for a while. The adjuster is an easy reach. 100 is pretty much the sweet spot though (this is on a Burner by the way - edit - with XR Rockers). The Reba tip is that the '05 went from 85-115. '06 maxes out at 100. The '06 Revelation is 100-130.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Went for a ride with 130mm

BrahMa said:
I've been riding my Flux with a 100mm Fox up front, but just put on my old '99 Z1, with 130mm. I'm going to give it a go, and see how it feels. I'll report back.
I must say, it did make the steering a bit slower, with a bit of "flop", but not so horrible that I wouldn't ride the bike like that again. In fact, I think it works really well for some rides, and it REALLY opened the bike up on rough decents.

I don't think I'll run the 130mm all the time on the bike, but I think for certain types of rides, it will be fun to have a 28lb bike, with 5" up front, and 4" in the back. Seemed to work real good on T&A in Laguna.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My take is that the bike was designed for a 100mm fork. That's what it works best with.

If you need more travel often enough to justify a heavier travel-adjust fork, then buy a 5-spot.

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a spot this summer. The more I rode it, the more I realized a Flux would 'suit me better' for 80%+ of my riding time. Got a Flux frame now and getting ready to build it.
I've decided to try a Reba Team dual air fixed @ 100mm. Like you said, that's what the frame is designed for. I put a Fox float 130 on the spot, and have not missed adjustable travel for one second, so from what I've read here I expect to have the same feelings on the flux/reba.
btw- I really dig the spot! I'm used to an XC style bike (flux) for my normal riding, but will continue to use the spot to expand and improve my skills w/ bigger stuff.

I'll be doing the build up right after new year and will post pix and such along with it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Price Point has 05 Reba Teams on clearance. They go up to 115mm, I beleive. I think that would be perfect for the Flux

Good fork at a nice price....check it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts