Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else ever have their rear axle come apart?

I was out on my ride this past weekend and had a flat. I couldn't get the sealant to seal so I needed to remove the wheel and put a tube in. The lever was a bit tight but eventually gave.

Unfortunately, when trying to remove the wheel (the axle), the lever unscrewed:

IMG_1313.JPG

The only way to get the wheel off was to remove the derailleur and hanger:

IMG_1316.JPG

So I have the bike back home and was all ready to put the bike back together. Unfortunately, all the spares I have are not the right thread.

ACK, Turner uses a coarse thread on the end as opposed to the common axle available. I never knew there was a difference.

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

Anyway, I now have some stuff on order directly from Turner. DT-Swiss Rear Thru Axle 142mm x 12mm with a 1.75 pitch.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Anyone else ever have their rear axle come apart?

I was out on my ride this past weekend and had a flat. I couldn't get the sealant to seal so I needed to remove the wheel and put a tube in. The lever was a bit tight but eventually gave.

Unfortunately, when trying to remove the wheel (the axle), the lever unscrewed:

View attachment 1019248

The only way to get the wheel off was to remove the derailleur and hanger:

View attachment 1019249

So I have the bike back home and was all ready to put the bike back together. Unfortunately, all the spares I have are not the right thread.

ACK, Turner uses a coarse thread on the end as opposed to the common axle available. I never knew there was a difference.

View attachment 1019253

View attachment 1019254

Anyway, I now have some stuff on order directly from Turner. DT-Swiss Rear Thru Axle 142mm x 12mm with a 1.75 pitch.
Yes. Happened to me. You can fix with locktite

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Which Locktite did you use?

Thanks for the advice.
probably any would work - but if you really want it to never come off - use locktite sleeve retainer

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, have learned a bit more here.

First off, do not over-tighten your axle. The system is designed to clamp down on to the axle flanges. Tightening down too much will only "bottom" the end of the axle in to the derailleur hanger. This is essentially jamming the axle into the hanger.

View of the axle tightened all the way into the hanger. If you over tighten (jam nut) the axle into the hanger, then something has to give when loosening the axle. In my case, the axle's handle came off.

IMG_1326.JPG

So measuring my hub's flange to flange dimension:
141.64 mm
IMG_1330.JPG

And then measuring the Flux's dropouts with the axle clamped down all the way (axle bottomed out on the hanger).
140.98 mm
IMG_1328.JPG

This means that the axle can be clamped down to hold the wheel in place bottoming out and have somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.66 mm before bottoming out on the hanger and giving no more force.

Finally, note: Turner is the only company that I know of using (and selling) the DT Swiss axle with the correct 1.75 pitch. So if it is important to you to have a spare, you might want to order one.

Currently, I have taken my original axle and repaired it. I the axle in a lathe, put some red loctite on the threads and tightened the lever on to the axle. I'll see if it holds.

IMG_20151001_082344406_HDR-1.jpg

Hope some of this info helps out there. I now have spare axles and a new derailleur hanger in hand as spares.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've tightened mine up pretty good on the Czar and never had this issue. Did you use any anti seize or grease on/ near the axle end. Wondering if this was caused by "jammed into hanger" + slight seize?

As per DT RWS axle instructions requires minimum of 15nm "handforce". So unless you have a robotic torque wrench built into your hand, really hard to gauge this. But if you want to get really nerdy I guess you can jig up a torque meter to the skewer to apply 15nm and see where that lands you interms of bottom out.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. I did not use any anti-seize. I was greasing it.

Yes, I believe the original problem was caused by over-tightening and "jamming" the axle to the hanger. This was mostly from some reports before of people's axles undoing themselves.

I'll see if I can think of a way to jig this and test it with 15nM of force. Thanks for the info. I'm awaiting to hear back from DT Swiss on some info.

·
Registered
680 Posts
^^I'm sorry don't do this test I suggested because it will obviously requires hub installed so really won't be able to see bottom out (or not) - doh my bad!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts