Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I might be becoming more common to this forum in the near future, mainly because I will hopefully have the fund to pick up a turner very shortly. The problem for that comes with some lawyers that won't seem to pull their heads out of their arses. That is besides the point. The basic story by that would be my wife's aunt died. Very said as she was on of those proper old women but had a very sarcastic streak to her. Said to see her go, but when she left she left our broke arses a large some of money. I recently married and we are tickled to be starting out debt free, when the money comes in anyway! My wife gave me premission to do 2 things I've been wanting to do, one would be build a new computer as I'm a gaming geek. Obviously not completely appropriate for what I wanted to discuss here, two was build a new bike. My brother (squish) has been raving about turners this whole time, between him and a few of his friends and my dad (squash) they have convinced me of a turner. The problem I run into is what to get. I live in SD, aberdeen specifically and the terrain out here doesn't warrant much for suspension travel. I currenlty ride a trek fuel 90, 2003, that is about 3 inches of travel. I was thinking flux because it is 4 inches, probably a little bit more then what I need. Here's the argument that was brought up recently though, what about where you go? Squish pointed out that we at times do take bike trips, the trails do get rougher, in which my mind traveled back to a horrible race in prairie night in ND. God that was a rough trail....

So my problem comes to this, which bike do you I get? My local terrain doesn't warrant much more the 4 inches, but when I do travel (not often as of recently) 5 could be beneficial. I hesitate to say NEED. What do you guys think?

PS. Just to get it out of the way, I know it will be personal choice in the end, I just want to hear opinions of guys who own these bikes and know what they can do.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
sorry about the loss, your aunt obviously wanted to do well by you

but if you have 2 turner owners in your family, couldn't they advise you? :rolleyes:

not to be curt, but it's not rocket science.

you already know the answer. get the bike that fits 90% of your riding.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Well...with Squish, Squash and CactusCorn all in arms reach, you have all the bike advice you'll ever need.(or want):p

I think Tapper makes a good point. Get the bike that meets 90% of your riding. If it were closer to 50/50 I'd say go for the bigger bike, build it with a lighter kit and option it with aggro spares for the bigger days.

Welcome aboard... The KoolAid is in the corner:thumbsup:

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
I went with a flux over a spot. I could have gone either way, but the for most of the riding I do, a flux is, excuse the pun, spot on. I don't really feel any disadvantage in more aggro riding terrain compared to buddies on bigger bikes. I do, however, have to be a little more cognizant of line choices and rely on finesse.

The majority of my riding involves long climbs, high mountains, wilderness, and often looks sort of like this:

Attachments

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Nice Shot!

cowDawg said:
I went with a flux over a spot. I could have gone either way, but the for most of the riding I do, a flux is, excuse the pun, spot on. I don't really feel any disadvantage in more aggro riding terrain compared to buddies on bigger bikes. I do, however, have to be a little more cognizant of line choices and rely on finesse.

The majority of my riding involves long climbs, high mountains, wilderness, and often looks sort of like this:
Did the dog run the timer for you?:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should probably go with the flux. Squish, squash and cactuscorn aren't all in arms reach anymore. They are in Iowa, I'm in southdakota still. Wife doesn't want to move away form her family and my can survive being apart. So here I stay. It has been a while cactuscorn, how's life these days?

Thanks everyone who voted, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the right frame this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.