might be pushing it.) Which of the two would you
recommend for me? What differences will I feel when I
switch from my Racer-X? One of my concerns is the
climbing ability and the weight compared to my
Racer-X. What do you think?

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
I own a flux and have taken several demo rides on motolites. I think both are very good bikes. They fit differently and feel quite different in their ride characteristics, but both bikes still have outstanding climbing and all-day XC riding abilities. The motolite has more travel and is a little beefier -- more like the spot. Demo if you can.

Given that you are in the Turner forum, and I ride a flux currently and have a 5.5 spot just waiting to be built up, I am obviously Turner biased. However, I personally prefer the fit, balance, and more compliant, plush ride characteristics of the flux or spot over the motolite. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
not to be obvious...

But the Flux is a very fun bike and it is raceable.

Cactuscorn can give you the whole speel about how great the flux is. :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have owned a Racer X 100 and a ML2. I now have a 2006 Flux. I had an ML2 with the RP23. Overall a great bike, but when the RP23 was not in the propedal mode I noticed pedal feedback. The Flux with an RP23 is an amazing bike. It is very plush 4" travel bike. It handles very nice in the tight single track. The Racer X 100 is a little bit quicker handling but not as plush. The ML2 also handled very nice. It is a little bit slower handling then the Flux. The flux has a real comfortable cockpit. You feel like you are sitting in the bike. The ML feels like you are sitting on top of the bike. Advantage to the Flux on climbing. It is quicker on the climbs than the ML. However, the ML in the 5" mode is a little better on the descents. The ML is a beefier than the Flux. Accordingly, it can take more abuse. Given your riding style and that you have been on a Racer X, I would lean towards the Flux. However, as others have stated demo both if you can. The other advantage for a Turner is customer service. Turner has the best customer service. I am less impressed with the customer service of Titus.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
The Flux will feel lower and faster while the ML can take more abuse as JTBAZ said. It is taller and has a much higher BB height, which will take getting used to and give you more clearance. I prefer Turner as a company but Titus has apparently improved their CS of late, though nothing comes close to Turner CS.

If you like the quickness of the Racer-X, you will really like the Flux- it's a bit more cush and a lot more stable (much longer wheelbase) at speed. The Moto is a do-it-all bike which I think you will also like but make sure one doesn't fit you better over the other and consider your ridiing style and your trails. If your trails are steep and rocky, the Moto will handle them better due to beefier tubes and a high BB. It will have more travel to hit the really gnarly stuff with.

The ride of the Flux is very addictive- it feels just amazing when it's ridden fast. The faster you go, the feel becomes very intuitive and you can slide into corners and never feel tippy.

Important things- fit/geometry, durability, and customer service reputation. If a bike has all, then I go for the looks if it is still a toss-up. However, by the time you consider the first 2-3 features, you will have probably made a choice. I have never had to choose based on looks:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts