Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the dilemma....I haven't been doing close to as much riding as I did 2 years ago. When I do ride I'm not riding as hard as I use to. The RFX is long gone, but I have kept my old 19.5" 2000 XCE. Most rides lately have been on a Medium Titus Racer-x that I just stripped down yesterday and am getting ready to sell on Ebay. I picked it up abotu a year ago and have never really been happy with it. The cockpit is to cramped and after spending years on Turners and hardtail Yeti's I just never liked the way the Racer-x felt.

In any event, I want to go to a single bike and the possibilites (keeping in mind I want to limit costs) are as follows. Dump both the XCE and Racer-x and pick up a Flux......OR.........reduce the current weight of my XCE. I have a Fox RP3 already and would replace the old '00 'Zokes Z1 CR with a 'Zokes Marathon SL or a Fox Talus or Float. Probably dump the old Hope Enduro brakes for something lighter as well.

Keep in mind in all of this I sit at about 195-200 lbs and I STILL do some aggressive riding just not as much as I use to.

So any opinions here. Has the ride of the Turners changed all that much from '00 to '05? I wouldn't think so. I realize with the Flux that it won't be as stiff and burly as the XCE, but I'm just wondering if the differences will be all that great

Thanks!!

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,121 Posts
Tough call YB

It sounds like you weren't riding the XCE much, or much in general, so maybe they should both go. If what it takes to get you riding more is a Flux, then do it.

Personally, I'd have a tough time giving up my XCE. They are stoutly built frames which give a high confidence factor, but with that comes a limit to how light they can be built. I'm willing to live with the extra weight knowing it has a long life ahead. I don't race mine, but I don't have to worry about it denting either. I need a frame that can take a pounding and an occasional wreck, and the XCE delivers!

What will you mainly be using the single bike for? Think of building for 90% of your riding. If you don't race, the XCE is tough to beat as an all-rounder. If you just have a serious yearning for the Flux,I know it's hard to top the feeling of building a new bike. It'll serve you well as an all-rounder too, but probably allow you to race it as well, I understand the attraction.

Too bad you're set on one bike only. I'd have both in my stable set up at the stout and light extremes, sort of like you had with the RX. If you were considering buying a new Float Fork and new disc brakes anyway, they could go on the Flux. With the other parts taken off the RX installed onto the Flux, you'd probably be close to having both.

Life's to short not to indulge once in a while, build a quiver with both.

Rando

·
My cup runneth over
2,426 Posts
The XCE is still a great bike. Why not pick up the high-end pieces you would put on the Flux and upgrade the XCE and see how you like it? Nothing lost and potentially a lot to gain. Since you already have the RP3, slap that puppy on first and then do the fork, brakes and maybe wheels. I suspect you will not be able to buy a Flux without the RP3 already included so that will become a nice back-up or an incentive for someone looking to buying the XCE if it doesn't work out.

Good luck.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I had an XCE for a few years and have demoed the Flux. The Flux is a snappier climber due to being a bit longer in the front-center and having a bit tighter rear triangle. I could not feel any difference in stiffness. The build of the Flux was ligher than my XCE, and it had an RP3 verses the old Vanilla (even when Pushed) and this helped to add to the racey feel, but it did seem to really attack climbs with a bit more alacrity. Cruising and descending were still very stable and the bike just railed with the longer wheelbase. A nice balance overall. I think the Flux is a worthy evolution in the 4" bike arena for Turner. All things being equal, and as much as I loved my XCE, I'd grab the Flux.

Do a search here for "xce flux" and you will find a bunch of feedback on this from people who have owned both.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The XCE is a great bike. The Flux may (it'll be different, but better will be subjective) be a tad better, but I don't believe that the cost is worth the difference. New is nice, but you mentioned that cost is an issue.

I would keep the XCE. The difference in weights of the 2 frames is around 3/4 of a pound, or so (with both using the RP3), so weight should not be a major issue.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
yetiboy said:
So here's the dilemma....I haven't been doing close to as much riding as I did 2 years ago. When I do ride I'm not riding as hard as I use to. The RFX is long gone, but I have kept my old 19.5" 2000 XCE. Most rides lately have been on a Medium Titus Racer-x that I just stripped down yesterday and am getting ready to sell on Ebay. I picked it up abotu a year ago and have never really been happy with it. The cockpit is to cramped and after spending years on Turners and hardtail Yeti's I just never liked the way the Racer-x felt.

In any event, I want to go to a single bike and the possibilites (keeping in mind I want to limit costs) are as follows. Dump both the XCE and Racer-x and pick up a Flux......OR.........reduce the current weight of my XCE. I have a Fox RP3 already and would replace the old '00 'Zokes Z1 CR with a 'Zokes Marathon SL or a Fox Talus or Float. Probably dump the old Hope Enduro brakes for something lighter as well.

Keep in mind in all of this I sit at about 195-200 lbs and I STILL do some aggressive riding just not as much as I use to.

So any opinions here. Has the ride of the Turners changed all that much from '00 to '05? I wouldn't think so. I realize with the Flux that it won't be as stiff and burly as the XCE, but I'm just wondering if the differences will be all that great

Thanks!!
The ride of a turner is probably unchanged for the last 10 years (as for most good suspension bikes out there). Geometry has been basically identical for a long time (70-71 upfront for <4" travel, <69 for >4", and similar +- 1 degree and 1" chainstay in the rear). The Flux is just lighter by 250/300 grams but with the XCE you get a more allaround frame ... i would just happily keep the xce and have the satisfaction to have a bike that lasts a long time (instead of following marketing) ...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with Tscheezy that Flux climbs better than XCE. I had 2002 xce with stock vanilla shock. It bobbed a lot during climbs. I also tested the Flux 2 months ago and this bike climbs much better. I think only way for you to really find out is test ride the Flux and ride your XCE with RP3 to get a fair comparison. If you have the money to spend and also new bike is going to get you out there like someone mentioned above , then you should go with the flux. What is the point of having any bike collect dust and depriciate when it could be used for adrenaline source?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Davide said:
i would just happily keep the xce and have the satisfaction to have a bike that lasts a long time (instead of following marketing) ...
Are you a couple months behind in following the action here, or do you just like to dig up old posts and make lame efforts at introducing controversy? Your "Flux = Marketing BS" spiel has been addressed before, so I'm not going to bother refuting it again. By the way, the weight difference in the frame (excluding shock) between my medium XCE and large Flux is over 3/4 lb. (>350 grams).

In case the poor guy still hasn't made a decision, I'll chime in that the Flux really is a special bike. I owned an XCE for a year and have been on a Flux for a few months now, and for most purposes the Flux is the superior 4" bike, being significantly lighter and zippier. Two caveats however:
-My XCE and Flux could not have been set up more differently, and the build can influence the ride as much as the frame. A really light build on an XCE would be interesting and undoubtedly help bridge the gap, but for this purpose the Flux is always going to surpass the XCE.
-Strength wise I'd put the XCE right there with the 5 Spot. If you like to air it out more often than not, either would probably suit you better than the Flux. Don't take this to mean that I have any concerns about the Flux's strength for its intended purpose, but rather that its intended purpose differs from that of the XCE and other 4" travel bikes of 5 years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.