Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm was looking to get a Flux but am now, after reading more reviews and posts considering a 5 spot.

I have had Fuel 90 and 95 for last five years, that I loved as it goes well in tight single track, accelerates well and seems to get me down hills faster than most people I ride with (FSR Speci under them).

If I go for the Flux am I missing out on something better in the 5 spot.

Have done and plan to do more marathon events but mostly I just hoot around the local woods as fast as I can, no jumps realy but the odd 2-3 ft drop offs. (Living in UK there is always a lot of mud to contend with too).

Also, on Saturday I broke the seat tube clean in half above the front derailer (along a ring weld) on the Fuel.
Im 170lb and hoping Turners are going to be stronger.

Hope you guys can give me a bit of advise..

Cheers

deanopatoni

·
Registered
84 Posts
deanopatoni said:
I'm was looking to get a Flux but am now, after reading more reviews and posts considering a 5 spot.

I have had Fuel 90 and 95 for last five years, that I loved as it goes well in tight single track, accelerates well and seems to get me down hills faster than most people I ride with (FSR Speci under them).

If I go for the Flux am I missing out on something better in the 5 spot.

Have done and plan to do more marathon events but mostly I just hoot around the local woods as fast as I can, no jumps realy but the odd 2-3 ft drop offs. (Living in UK there is always a lot of mud to contend with too).

Also, on Saturday I broke the seat tube clean in half above the front derailer (along a ring weld) on the Fuel.
Im 170lb and hoping Turners are going to be stronger.

Hope you guys can give me a bit of advise..

Cheers

deanopatoni
the flux is more of a race bike with snappy handling, i would say perfect for singletrack. The five spot is more of trail bike that can take more abuse.

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bobflyer said:
the flux is more of a race bike with snappy handling, i would say perfect for singletrack. The five spot is more of trail bike that can take more abuse.
That's kind of what I was thinking. The abuse thing is really something I need to consider as I've broken 2 Fuel front triangles. My concern is that the Flux may built to the same strength as Fuel (same weight ish). I agree that Spot will definitely take more abuse and I'm probably less likely to break it.
Thanks for your help bobflyer.

deanopatoni

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I have a 2001 Fuel (with 2002 carbon rear) and a 2003 5 Spot.

The Spot will not feel as snappy and doesn't accelerate like the Fuel. I haven't tried the Flux, but all of the reviews indicate that it's a great race-type bike that's also good for trail riding.

If you want a bike that handles like the Fuel the Flux would be closer than the Spot. The 2006 TNT is also a low single pivot (like the Fuel) that should also have a snappier feel than the previous HL FLuxes. The Spot is more of a trail bike. It doesn't have that racy feel like the Fuel. A lot of the racy feel of the Fuel is due to steep head angle and short travel. Having said that, I ride the Spot five times (minimum) as often as the Fuel. Is just that much fun.

The Flux is probably stronger than the Fuel. It's designed around 4" of travel and built for more abuse than the 3" Fuel.

I've never broken my Fuel, but the two guys that I know with Fuels broke theirs five times combined. One guy kept breaking his because he loves to fishtail around every turn and that's really tough on the frame. He stopped breaking frames when Trek replaces his aluminum rear with a carbon one. The other guy was just plain too heavy for that bike. He was in excess of 240 pounds with a riding style that has to been seen to be believed. When he approached obstacles....he would just speed up and hit them.... using no technique.... brutal.

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Blue Shorts said:
I have a 2001 Fuel (with 2002 carbon rear) and a 2003 5 Spot.

The Spot will not feel as snappy and doesn't accelerate like the Fuel. I haven't tried the Flux, but all of the reviews indicate that it's a great race-type bike that's also good for trail riding.

If you want a bike that handles like the Fuel the Flux would be closer than the Spot. The 2006 TNT is also a low single pivot (like the Fuel) that should also have a snappier feel than the previous HL FLuxes. The Spot is more of a trail bike. It doesn't have that racy feel like the Fuel. A lot of the racy feel of the Fuel is due to steep head angle and short travel. Having said that, I ride the Spot five times (minimum) as often as the Fuel. Is just that much fun.

The Flux is probably stronger than the Fuel. It's designed around 4" of travel and built for more abuse than the 3" Fuel.

I've never broken my Fuel, but the two guys that I know with Fuels broke theirs five times combined. One guy kept breaking his because he loves to fishtail around every turn and that's really tough on the frame. He stopped breaking frames when Trek replaces his aluminum rear with a carbon one. The other guy was just plain too heavy for that bike. He was in excess of 240 pounds with a riding style that has to been seen to be believed. When he approached obstacles....he would just speed up and hit them.... using no technique.... brutal.
Blue Shorts,
Thanks loads for your reply. Great to get your feed back and its reassuring that you know where I'm coming from (have a Fuel you self). I think it will probably be a Flux that I go for, as speed and weight is important to me. That's not to say that I wont be test riding a Spot thought.

I'm not suprised your mate broke his. I'd like to think that I ride with a bit of finesse, but there have been times when I ...... (hit trees).

deanopatoni

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Flux & Spot

Deano: I have both a Flux and a Spot and I can tell you that your choice should depend on the application you are planning on using it for. Blue Shorts is right about the Flux being snappier (although not nervous) and better suited for racing and tight singletrack. It is also better, in my opinion, for climbing due to the lower weight and forward geometry.

The Spot definately takes it going downhill, and it climbs only slightly slower than the Flux, it is amazing how the sections of trail that I used to sweat on the Flux suddenly became easy on the Spot. The Flux is also very plush if you set it up right.

Hope this helps with your decision.

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
elmadaleno said:
Deano: I have both a Flux and a Spot and I can tell you that your choice should depend on the application you are planning on using it for. Blue Shorts is right about the Flux being snappier (although not nervous) and better suited for racing and tight singletrack. It is also better, in my opinion, for climbing due to the lower weight and forward geometry.

The Spot definately takes it going downhill, and it climbs only slightly slower than the Flux, it is amazing how the sections of trail that I used to sweat on the Flux suddenly became easy on the Spot. The Flux is also very plush if you set it up right.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Yip, your feedback definitely appreciated, and helping me etch closer to a decision.
Probably go for Flux. I need all the help I can get on the climbs!

d e a n o p a t o n i

·
Registered
999 Posts
I also have a Spot and a Flux and elmadaleno is dead on with his description. The Flux is snappier and quicker than the Spot. The Flux is the best climbing bike that I have ever owned. The 5 Spot is obviously plusher than the Flux, but I have been very impressed with how plush the Flux feels for a 4 inch travel bike. The Flux's suspension is very responsive to the terrain. The 5 spot is amazing on descents.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you're not planning to do a lot of big jumps and drops then go for the Flux. I'm on a 5 Spot myself and it's great, but I do sometimes wish I had something a bit snappier for twisting through the tight but often quite smooth wooded singletrack of South Korea. On the other hand there are times when I ride my Spot on rougher stuff and think, "wow, they must have designed this bike for exactly this kind of terrain".

Guess I'll just have to see how the Spot goes on the New Zealand trails over the next couple of months.

Out of interest, are there many other 5 Spot riders who have been casting lusty eyes in the direction of Spot's lithe little sister?

Duncan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.