Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after much agonizing (and it was agony), I chose the TNT Flux as my shorter-travel bike. It was a close race but a recent drop in price ended up making it several hundred ($350-$550) less than my other choices. That didn't hurt its chances. I'm putting the Talas on it instead of the Reba. I got the RS Revelation on the other bike and I like Fox forks so I'm hoping that the Talas will be a good match. I'm very concerned with climbing abilities and I think the Talas will be a good fork for that, especially steep Switchbacks.

The Anodized finish doesn't APPEAR to be as durable as others I have seen and owned but that may be an inaccurate assessment- what the hell do I really know about Anodized finishes!

Thanks for the quick and valuable advice I've already received here. I'm looking forward to learning and laughing in this Forum, especially with some of the intensely colorful characters here. Gotta love this place!:thumbsup:

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
Flyer said:
Well, after much agonizing (and it was agony), I chose the TNT Flux as my shorter-travel bike. It was a close race but a recent drop in price ended up making it several hundred ($350-$550) less than my other choices. That didn't hurt its chances. I'm putting the Talas on it instead of the Reba. I got the RS Revelation on the other bike and I like Fox forks so I'm hoping that the Talas will be a good match. I'm very concerned with climbing abilities and I think the Talas will be a good fork for that, especially steep Switchbacks.

The Anodized finish doesn't APPEAR to be as durable as others I have seen and owned but that may be an inaccurate assessment- what the hell do I really know about Anodized finishes!

Thanks for the quick and valuable advice I've already received here. I'm looking forward to learning and laughing in this Forum, especially with some of the intensely colorful characters here. Gotta love this place!:thumbsup:
congrats!

I agree that the anodized finish is different from the anodized finish you see on titus and ellsworth, and it does "look" less durable. I don't know if it really is, but I can tell you I've had a demo orange flux for the last week and I assume it has at least a few hundred miles on it, there are no frame protector stickers under the cables and the finish still looks good. I've had cables rub through paint/powdercoat in one ride so I believe it is durable in this respect. I'm still planning on trying out jagwire tube tops just to be safe.

I'd be interested in hearing what your other choices were. Did you get to do any ride comparisons? Also let us know how the talas works out, are you going with 06 or 07? I hate that they reduced the minimum travel to 100mm in 07 (plus it's quite a bit heavier). I would like the 90mm option for courses with alot of climbing.

climr

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:)

Well, my closest two choices were the Yeti ASR-SL and Ventana El Fuego. I discounted the Yeti eventually because of its new carbon rear end and high price tag though the ASR-SL is a superb climber and fast as heck.
So then it was down to the El Fuego and the Flux. Since I already own a Ventana (X-5) and am a bit biased towards Sherwood's offerings, I was really starting to lean towards the Fuego. However, the Fuego was several hundred more and I wanted to try (what I consider) another high-end manufacturer AKA Turner. I was very close to buying the Fuego- very close indeed. Then I decided to wait a couple more days.
After two days of no sleep, no ability to work at more than 61% effectiveness, and endless hours searching for reviews, I decided on the Flux instead. I think the Flux will be a little heavier and a bit more plush but probably an excellent trailbike that slots in between my X-5 and a hardcore XC Racer. I'll try to build it light but not Weight Weenie light. The biggest thing I need to do is get a custom wheelset for it eventually. The current 819s are a bit heavy. I'm thinking DT4.1s and some lighter UST tires.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Congrats on the decision, Flyer!. Did you get a chance to demo the Flux before putting in your order? After I finally got to try the Flux, it was really no contest. I just hope it gets here this weekend.

What specs are you planning for your build? I agree the XM819's are way too heavy, but I got 'em anyway because I need something bombproof. I weigh 220 and I don't always ride as light as I could, so the rims were one component I didn't want to skimp on.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The only things I can demo here are some friendly cows and rabbits.

I'm starting off with this- some are things I already have:
Thompson Elite Setpost
Ritchey WCS Stem
Easton EC70 carbon OS bars
X.7 shifter
XT and X.9 front and rear derailleurs- respectively
WTB Rocket seat
819 and Hope XC (this will change soon)
Turbine LP cranks
SRAM 991 Crosstech or whatever that new chain is
Geax Barro TNT or Geax Arrojo TNT (Tubes No Tubes) tires
Avid Flak Jackets and Jagwire cables
Avid Mech Disc brakes
CK headset
Fox Talas Fork

I'll upgrade the wheels and the drivetrain this year.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!
I went with the Burnt Orange. The Polished isn't my taste and looks very "fingerprinty" all the time. I'd become obsessed with wiping it down constantly.

By the way, the Talas is new- not something I had. I'd like to get those custom wheels I mentioned, a new crankset, new shifters, and that will be all I need- this season anyway.

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
moot point since you've already ordered it, but I don't have any local turner dealers that keep stock either, so I used competitive cyclist for the demo. $199 shipped both ways and you keep it for 7 days. I was pretty impressed with the whole process and the bikes are setup pretty nicely and very close to what most people will use.

anyway, keep us posted. I just secured my orange flux with Chad at redbarn, I'll be posting my build list pretty soon.

Flyer said:
The only things I can demo here are some friendly cows and rabbits.

I'm starting off with this- some are things I already have:
Thompson Elite Setpost
Ritchey WCS Stem
Easton EC70 carbon OS bars
X.7 shifter
XT and X.9 front and rear derailleurs- respectively
WTB Rocket seat
819 and Hope XC (this will change soon)
Turbine LP cranks
SRAM 991 Crosstech or whatever that new chain is
Geax Barro TNT or Geax Arrojo TNT (Tubes No Tubes) tires
Avid Flak Jackets and Jagwire cables
Avid Mech Disc brakes
CK headset
Fox Talas Fork

I'll upgrade the wheels and the drivetrain this year.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks like all three of us went with the burnt orange. :thumbsup: The polished definitely looks schweet, but it's way too common these days.

My Flux is an addition, not a replacement, so it's all new components for me. I'm trying to stave off upgradeitis for awhile by pretty well loading this one up with everything I'd ever want.

I've gotta second the recommendation for Competitive Cyclist. They need to be added to the short list of outstanding Turner dealers. Not only is their demo program one of a kind and well run, but their service and communication in building up my Flux has been impeccable. Just good people who know their bikes. Not that I'm going to be dropping $4k+ on a another scooter anytime soon, but when I do, I'm definitely going back to these guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.