Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, I'd wait a little longer but I feel there are already enough real differences and similarities to point out. I took my first ride yesterday on the Flux and rode for 2 hrs. today in my native Fair Hill (MD). I should say the only difference between these two in components is that I'm running a 100mm version of the Manitou R7 Platinum SPV on the Flux and I had an 80mm version of the fork on the Blur XC. All the other components have been switched over. My riding position is a bit more upright on the Flux due to the slacker head angle and longer fork. The Blur XC weighed in at 25.08 lbs. The Flux weighs in at 25.33 lbs. so the weight difference is negligable.

Climbing: Both bikes track excellent and have no noticable bob. Either bike handles technical ascents very well. The fairly light frames, RP3 shocks, and suspension designs make this all gravy. I love to climb and enjoy it just as much on the Flux as I did the Blur XC.

Descending: Both descend well - bomb over rocky stuff w/o being bounced around and both inspire confidence. I'd have to give the edge to the Blur XC here though - it just feels more plush than the Flux in this regard. When my rear wheel would come down after clearing a log, it was like having a big pillow under my a$$.

Power transfer: Both bikes provide good power transfer to the pedals and feel snappy. The Flux due to its stiffer rear end feels better though - more like a hardtail. It feels more responsive than the Blur XC here. The rear triangle on the Blur XC just felt more flexy and vulnerable. The Flux has a nice sturdy feel.

Tire clearance/mud shedding: The Flux definitely has the Blur XC beat in this area. There is minimal tire clearance w/ the Blur XC - not possible to put anything beefy on the rear wheel. I don't run 2.3's and such anyway but one thing this effects is mud shedding ability. Due to the VPP linkage and poor tire clearance, my Blur XC would gunk up with mud very easily which could effect the drivetrain. The Flux has so much more room around the rear tire, chainstays, etc. and mud just seems to clear away. Today was a good test for this as some trails were fairly mucky. The mud shedding matters too when you go to clean your bike. The Blur XC is more vulnerable to water creeping in bearings etc., so cleaning all that mud off is a pain when you can't hose it down. The tighter bushings on the Flux don't make it so scary to lightly hose your bike off once in a while or ride through water/rain.

Maintenance: I'll have to get back to you on this one as time goes by but as I've already mentioned in previous posts, I switched frames b/c of this issue with the Blur XC. After 6 months, I had the bearings replaced already ($150) and somehow my rear triangle got stretched out to 140mm apart at the dropouts instead of the standard 135mm. This caused frame creaking and disc brake rubbing. It's being warrantied right now through SC. I'll have no warranty for my used Flux so this tells you where I'm at in this regard. My Blur XC will be up for sale when it comes back. The Flux's easy to maintain bushings and high tolerance bode well for a more headache-free experience. This was the big selling point to me on the frame - especially since my wife's going back to school full-time next year and I won't have the time/money to fool around w/ lots of maintanence issues.

Overall comfort: The Flux is definitely more comfortable. The caveat here is that I may have used a too leaned forward riding position on the Blur XC - more race oriented. I'm digging the more upright feel of the Flux and I find that b/c of it, I'm able to ride technical areas better because I don't have to lift my front wheel up as much. I also haven't felt like I've given up anything on the climbs just b/c I'm a bit more upright. I felt comfortable on the Flux right away whereas on the Blur XC, I had plenty of minor adjustments to make and my upper body would still be sapped after long rides/races. The Flux's RP3 isn't as cushy as the Blur XC's even though it offers the same travel but the bike feels more responsive and race-ready. I haven't had to tweak anything.

Final thoughts: I think I made the right decision to switch frames and am looking forward to my first race in a couple of weeks on this sweet steed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
kranest,

Nice summary, I ride a 5 Spot, and also switched over from Santa Cruz. Be patient with the rear suspension, in my experience it took a few rides for the bushings to work well, I think they have some pretty tight tolerances. Now it's as smooth as a baby's butt.

Good luck with the new ride.:thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.