Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago, I wrote here asking whether folks thought a beginner-intermediate like me should go on the Flume Trail or ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, as I was going to Tahoe and would have time for one ride. I ended up riding the Flume, and I don't regret it. Here are some pics I took with a crappy disposable camera (my wife, who was a bridesmaid in a wedding, had our good digital).

The ride was a lot of fun. 95% of the ride was not technical in the least. But it was a whole lot of climbing, and being in so-so shape these days (job, baby, grad school, living at sea level...), I suffered some.

Still, it was a beautiful ride--one that had me gasping for the thin air as well as at the scenery. Coming from NYC, it had been a while since I saw so much open space, such sweeping mountain vistas, so much blue sky. The greens and browns were a nice respite from city gray and asphalt.

The first two trail shots are en route to Martlett Lake. The pics I got don't do some of the grades I encountered justice. The climbing was steep and long and really drove the point home that there are no real "climbs" in the places I ride in Westchester and Long Island.

Then there are shots of the bike on the banks of Martlett Lake, which is where the Flume Trail begins proper. The Flume Trail itself is flat and traces a ridgeline overlooking Lake Tahoe from the East. But you don't actually get to the Flume Trail until after a 4-mile climb from the this bike shop: http://theflumetrail.com/

I rented a Stumpy FSR, which is what I ride at home.

I also rode for a little while with this super nice guy Scott from Colorado. But he was in much better shape than me and was used to riding in altitude, so I told him to go ahead and I'd see him down the trail. (Thanks for the Goo and Snickers bar, Scott...) Scott and I hooked up later and rode down the one tricky descent we found, which was actually off the main trail.

The other shots are just doofy shots of me smiling and of the bike poised by the rim of the Flume Trail overlooking Lake Tahoe.

Anyway, next time, I will take a better camera, and I'll work harder to get pics of some riders. But there were very few riders out there when I went. I only saw three others, not counting Scott from CO.

Well, I'll definitely go back to Tahoe and ride the more technical stuff one day. But I did enjoy the Flume Trail. It was practically empty (I was lucky, I've been told) and took me through some terrific scenery. And that's a large part of why I mountain bike--to get away from it all and see new stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics!

m1biscuit said:
those are some great pics, man. if i can ever figure out why i'm unable to post mine, i have some nice pics of the dam here in thompson, ct.
Try loading one pic at a time,and make sure it's either a jpeg or a gif. And make sure they are under the maximum file size. I had to reduce the size of several of mine.

Hope you take some pics. Give me a shout when you post them!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a map of the Flume Trail--the red route.

It took my 2 and a half hours to ride the whole thing one way, with stops for pics and to pant beside the bike. I also pushed some on the fire road leading up to Martlett Lake. And Scott and me took the short yellow route up and found some nice rocks to launch ourselves off of. A buddy of mine who lives in Reno says it takes him an hour to ride the whole thing...:madman:

The trickiest part of the whole ride was the descent to the shuttle, as it was quite sandy and there were one or two sharp switchbacks.

Description of the Flume Trail from the bikeshop:

"The half mile of climbing past Snow Valley is where you become friendly with that shiny little granny gear on your mountain bike. You start the ride at 7000' and climb to 8157.

At the summit, a quick break under the whispering lodge pole pines quickly dries the sweat and refreshes the soul.

Next a short descent leads to the peaceful, pristine Marlette Lake (pictured). In the fall the colors at Marlette Lake are a site to behold. A mile and a half of riding on the dirt road along the shore of this beautiful lake leads to the incredible Flume Trail.

The Flume Trail is nearly flat, dropping only 40' per mile and is spectacular in its setting. 1600' above the east shore of Lake Tahoe and only a half mile away from the shoreline in places.

At the end of the Flume Trail, there is a 3 mile, 1500' descent down to Highway 28.

The Flume Trail is a moderately difficult ride at 7000' to 8000' feet in elevation with over a 1000' of climbing and 4.5 miles of single track. The Flume Trail itself traverses above several steep sections, so those afraid of heights be forewarned."

Attachments

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Glad to hear you enjoyed the Flume. Coming from NYC the wide open spaces were a huge breath of fresh air I'm sure. Every anerobic, lactic acid breath was worth it huh?

Toads is a fantastic ride but more on the difficult side if your not use to that type terrain or elevation.

So, Toads next year? Just ride and condition yourself for it as much as possible.

Is'nt mtn biking great? See ya on the trail Bro.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toad's next year

Mojo Troll said:
Glad to hear you enjoyed the Flume. Coming from NYC the wide open spaces were a huge breath of fresh air I'm sure. Every anerobic, lactic acid breath was worth it huh?

Toads is a fantastic ride but more on the difficult side if your not use to that type terrain or elevation.

So, Toads next year? Just ride and condition yourself for it as much as possible.

Is'nt mtn biking great? See ya on the trail Bro.
Definitely gonna hit Toad's next year and some other local trails.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Renting a bike

nonoy_d said:
How much was the rent, and how far is it from your hotel? Do LBS in tahoe provide guided tours. From the Map it looks like around 9-10 miles for that flume am I right? Great pics though.
Hey man,

It took me about an hour to get to the bike shop, as we were staying on the other side of the lake, at Squaw Creek resort. We were attending a wedding there. I'd check with the bike shop directly if they give tours (URL below).

The ride is about 10 miles, the first half a brutal uphill on a fireroad. Everything is clearly marked and there are variations and loops you can do if you are in good shape.

The rental cost me a total of $50; I'd bought a Cliff bar and some gels, too. Definitely bring some potassium and electrolytes, too, if you aren't used to all the climbing. A banana or something.

Here's the site of the rental shop along with prices for their different rentals. I'd call ahead to reserve, just to be safe.

http://www.theflumetrail.com/bikes/

Have a great time. And bring a camera and post your pics, dude!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.