Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble keeping spoke tension on my Stans Flows. I've been on the wheels for about a year and, even though Spoke Prep was used in the build, the rear wheel in particular loosens up significantly every few rides.

Spoke tension is a much talked about issue with non-eyeleted rims and, in my own experience, eyeleted rims have always stayed drum tight. Did I just get a bad build in this case, which can only be remedied by rebuilding the wheel or do I need to go to an eyeleted rim that will keep/tolerate higher tension? Any recs? I know a lot of people here have had success with Flows and want to hear the secret to keeping them tight and true. Thanks.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Go to the wheel section for a better answer. Tension is the answer, equal tension on each side of the wheel, all the way around. 110kg on the drive side in the rear, and whatever it takes on the non drive side 70 to 80 kg, to dish the wheel properly.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As suggested, go over to the wheel forum for more/better help, but yeah, it's your build, not the rim. I've had no issues with my Flows which are coming up on 3 years now, even with badly gouged drive side spokes on the rear almost since it was built. Have you checked the actual tensions with a tension meter to make sure they're up to recomended build specs?

·
Registered
848 Posts
sslos said:
Rebuild! Oh, and use boiled linseed oil, doesn't dry up into uselessness like Spoke Prep.

Los
I ran out of spoke prep during my last wheel build and used boiled linseed oil on one wheel. It's worked fantastic for a couple of years. Sometimes the old-school method/technique works best or equally well.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
meltingfeather said:
SpokePrep does not dry into uselessness.
Whether or not the linseed oil is boiled makes no difference, nor does the way in which it is "boiled," unless you want to eat it.
My experience speaks otherwise.
Wheelsmith Spoke Prep powders, and while "uselessness" may have been hyperbole, becomes less effective.
Also, chemically "boiled" linseed oil dries more quickly and completely than true boiled linseed oil.
But like so much in the world of bicycle mechanics, there's a panoply of opinions, and none is unequivocally right. My method of gluing tubs, for example, may differ from yours, but I'll guess that neither have had a customer's tire roll off.

Los

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
sslos said:
But like so much in the world of bicycle mechanics, there's a panoply of opinions, and none is unequivocally right. My method of gluing tubs, for example, may differ from yours, but I'll guess that neither have had a customer's tire roll off.

Los
:thumbsup:
you going to comfort this weekend?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.