Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My friend Woody and I had a terrifically fun jaunt around Walnut Creek today. We ran into Al about 2/3rds of the way through, and he chased after us for a while.

Here are the boys in question, as well as some more flowers seen along the way. And to cap off all that fun and scenery, the screech owl was in his house close to where we parked our cars.

Hooray for riding buddies, beautiful weather, and mother nature!

Attachments

·
Funkifized
63 Posts
that smell

Hey SW,

What is that super sweet smell that is dominating the air over the past two weeks at Walnut Creek. I figure since you are into flowers and boys :rolleyes: I would ask. I've tried to look around for anything blooming but I dont have an eye for that. Whatever it is. If I could bottle it or but it in my gear bag I would be super stoked. Your posts are always one of my favorites.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great pictures, thanks for posting them up so quickly. :) Nice to see the closeup of the owl, as opposed to looking at him from the sidewalk..

..Al

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I loaned my camera to Woody and Al so they could zoom in on the owl and get a better look. While Al had it, he took that shot. Then I cropped it and zoomed in even more.

I first saw the owl there last year, and walked up a bit closer for some shots. They are here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4159584#poststop

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3WP said:
Hey SW,

What is that super sweet smell that is dominating the air over the past two weeks at Walnut Creek. I figure since you are into flowers and boys :rolleyes: I would ask. I've tried to look around for anything blooming but I dont have an eye for that. Whatever it is. If I could bottle it or but it in my gear bag I would be super stoked. Your posts are always one of my favorites.
Thanks! Right now, I'm smelling mostly China berry trees and honeysuckle. If you smell it a lot at the entrance to ".6" and towards the end of the outer "Log Loop," it's honeysuckle, for sure.

It's great, isn't it? Adds a whole nuther dimension of beauty to the place.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AtariAge said:
Great pictures, thanks for posting them up so quickly. :) Nice to see the closeup of the owl, as opposed to looking at him from the sidewalk..

..Al
Hey, that was your first post!!

It was great to see you, Al. And thanks for taking the owl pic!

·
Registered
25 Posts
scorpionwoman said:
Hey, that was your first post!!
Yeah, I guess it was about time for me to post--looks like I created my account two years ago!!

It was great to see you, Al. And thanks for taking the owl pic!
You're welcome! Had no idea how those pictures would come out (I probably snapped at least five of the owl!) so it was nice to see the picture you posted. Great running into you and Woody!

..Al

·
Registered
257 Posts
scorpionwoman said:
I loaned my camera to Woody and Al so they could zoom in on the owl and get a better look. While Al had it, he took that shot. Then I cropped it and zoomed in even more.

I first saw the owl there last year, and walked up a bit closer for some shots. They are here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4159584#poststop
are you awake very very early there in Texas? i like owls and about 5miles from where i am used to live a man who would rescue birds of prey. unfortunatly he moved house a while ago as he had quite a few hawks and owls which he had in cages in his front garden at times. made a good stopping spot when out riding that way.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MCsanandreas said:
are you awake very very early there in Texas?
I am indeed a morning person. :)

But the times I've seen the owl were at mid-day or in the early afternoon. One day I saw him and *so* wished I had my camera, because it was such a funny scene. A red-headed woodpecker had decided that it needed to drill out a home for itself up high on the branch that the owl's house is on. The owl looked totally grumpy about the situation, and I couldn't help but wonder if that woodpecker was going to be around much longer.

Don't you hate those noisy upstairs neighbors?! ;)

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Blooming Desert

Pics from last Sunday morning ride in McDowell Mountain Preserve near Phoenix. Desert is beautiful this time of year, except for the cholla balls, ouch!

Bob

Attachments

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
This isn't from a ride but I know that SW loves flowers so I saw these starting to grow in my front yard and since I also bought a new Canon WS-290 today thought I'd give it a try.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
boys in spandex, me likes! ;)

oh, the flower pics were nice too. :D

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for adding your flower shots, everybody! Nice!

Kaboose, I am glad to say that most of the guys here in Austin are not afraid of Spandex. :thumbsup:

Al, according to Kaboose, you had already made an important contribution to the thread. ;) But thanks for the flower shot, too. Those happen to be one of my favorite flowers. They love the rocks and the sun, so they do very well on the trails around here. And so cheery!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Flowers at Lake Georgetown

I hiked yesterday at Lake Georgetown (in Georgetown, TX for those of you not familiar with the area) from Cedar Breaks to Tejas Camp. Partly to do some scouting for additional trailwork (we're working on getting the souther portion of this trail open for mountain biking) and partly as I haven't hiked this trail in some time. I had my camera with me and took many pictures, including quite a few of various flowers and other plants. Just uploaded a set of high-resolution photos to Flickr. You can view the photoset here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/atariage/sets/72157617279763313/

Here are a few highlights:

Enjoy!

..Al

1 - 20 of 23 Posts