Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 26 inch Foes FXR (5.75" travel) with single track rims (32mm), a Kujo DH (1300 gr) on the rear and a 2.3 Timberwolf on the front. Rider wt = 220lbs. I really like the stiffer sidewall tires as they provide a bit more stability. I have riden a few 29ers (Titus, RIP, Intense) and am sold on the 29er thing. My questions are:
1) Since the contact patch of the 29er is larger will the Flow (28mm) feel like my 32mm singletracks?
2)will the Gordos make the tires feel slower since more rubber on the ground?
3) The Gordos are about 1/4 lb heavier per rim (130gr), will the extra weight be more noticed on a 29er vs 26?
4) Will there be a measurable difference in stability and cornering of the Gordos vs Flows?
5) I am considering either an 09 RIP or WFO. If I get the Rip I was originally planning on the flows but am thinking about making it a bit more bomber using the Gordos and if I get the WFO I was thinking about using the Flows to make it a bit more singletrack worthy. I know this is oposite of what most would do, including myself, but just an idea. Any input?
6) Would it be a good idea to use the Flows on the font and the Gordos on the back? Viceversa?

I mostly ride fast single track but I live an hour from NorthStar and an hour from Downieville and would like to step it up a bit (small to med jumps and 4 ft drops). I have riden all over Utah, NV, Col, Or and cali., I have been riding since 1985 (remember the softride handel bar suspension)
Thanks in advance for your input

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I think Salsa's Semi is a more appropriate comparison to Stan's Flow.

1) Feel is not one-directional. On sharp object, a same width 29" rim may feel narrower, hit rim easier.
2) Width of a rim barely effect rolling resistance unless the soil is really soft (sand, snow)
3) You'll notice every gram while riding, if you before riding took notice of the nominal weight.
4) Yes, according to all the reviews I read, but I only base that on width..
5) Bad idea, you can try to mak a bike what it's not, but you should not expect it to work out.
6) It's an option, if you NEEEEEED to save the grams. But if you do it, please have much better reasons than that. I'm considering getting a $$$$ stif rear rim (Edge), but use a simple flexy one up front, to save the ($$$$-$$) difference.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I've got a set of both - Flows on my Sultan and Gordos on my Karate Monkey.

If you want to go tubeless - go Flows, you can't go wrong with them if set up properly. Otherwise - I'd pick the Gordos. I really like the stiffness and increased casing width they allow.

In terms of weight, if you're running a 1300gr rear tire now - a 29er tire won't feel heavy.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Well, I have both rims you mention, as well. I do know this: If I were getting a R.I.P.9 or a W.F.O.9 I would put nothing but Gordos on it. You have a feeling for what wide rims do for your 26 inch tires, right? Well, that feeling only gets better ona 29"er! Weight? I wouldn't worry about it. The level of control, stability, and the extra performance you will squeeze out of your tires with Gordos is well worth it. Sure.......tubelessness is discouraged with Gordos, but not impossible.

My vote? Gordo.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
cruzean said:
2)will the Gordos make the tires feel slower since more rubber on the ground?
I have not noticed this.

cruzean said:
3) The Gordos are about 1/4 lb heavier per rim (130gr), will the extra weight be more noticed on a 29er vs 26?
I notice the weight over the Flows slightly.

cruzean said:
4) Will there be a measurable difference in stability and cornering of the Gordos vs Flows?
Not measurable, but you can certainly feel the difference. It is obvious immediately.

cruzean said:
6) Would it be a good idea to use the Flows on the font and the Gordos on the back? Viceversa?
I would but the beefier rim in front.

·
Registered
723 Posts
cruzean: i maybe wrong, but from what you posted i got the impression that you really need to look at a longer travel 29er (5 to 6") for your needs. the titus/rip/intense are XC oriented bikes and the 29 inch wheels IMHO do NOT turn them into all mountain machines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This may help explain why I am asking

Star, my first real trail ride on a 29er was a Racer x and on a trail I do often (Auburn Cali) with lots of jumps, gaps and chunk. On that ride I hit more of the jumps than I ever have and cleaned them with ease so I was very amazed at how much more I could do with a 29er xc race bike than my well built 26 inch all mountain Foes.
This may help understand: I am 6 foot tall 215 lbs with very long, thick legs and big shoulders and a thick neck with a bowling ball on top. On my large Foes I have a 2 inch riser bar and the bars are still 2 inches below my seat so very xc type of cockpit with a lot of weight on my hands. I am very top heavy. The 29er inspired so much more confidence for me and I just figured that since a race oriented 29er already felt so much better do I really need to go that extreme with the rims. The rims that were on the RX were around 24mm. I love to go to Utah/Fruita/St George once or twice a year and would love to try some of the stuff I see Mikesee doing. I will most likely get the Gordos but I am trying to get a feel for if it is necessary as I do some long rides with lots of climbing, then big descents.

·
Registered
723 Posts
hey jn - isn't it funny that way when you start mountain biking and your skills start improving you just want MORE. crazy stuff. i'm really tempted to get a new sultan frame but am kind of afraid of getting "more of the same". maybe it would be better just to add a 6+" 26" wheel bike to the sultan like a nomad or RFX. i was also thinking of just upgrading the 100 mm reba to 120 on the sultan v1 to handle the tougher stuff. i'll probably end up waiting another year and see what new stuff comes out. i'm betting someone's going to come out with a 650c 6+" bike that might be the compromise and travel i'm looking for. happy new year!

jncarpenter said:
You need to test ride the new 2009 Sultan...rough rides = no problemo! :thumbsup:

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
starre said:
hey j.......... i'm betting someone's going to come out with a 650c 6+" bike that might be the compromise and travel i'm looking for. happy new year!
Yep! Haro Werx Sonic 5 X 5. Close......;)

I think where you live and ride that if it were me, I'd look seriously at a Lenz Lunchbox. Your terrain begs for this bike! (In my opinion :D )

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I disagree with the guys who are saying that you need more travel (Lenz Lunchbox). I rode Downieville and Northstar on my SIR9 and had a blast. The SIR9 (with 100mm fork) was awesome on Livewire (like a big BMX bike), but a handful on the other rockier black diamond trails. So I built a RIP9 (the WFO wasn't out yet and I didn't want to wait for a Lenz) with Fox 120mm fork and Flow rims just for those types of trails. With the RIP9 I was taking drops and smashing through rock gardens like nobody's business. Sure, a longer travel bike would be nice, but it isn't necessary. Especially if you plan on using this bike for other trails. I love the RIP9, but I rarely ride it on my local (Bay Area) trails - I always take the SIR9 (now with rigid fork) instead. The RIP9 is a great all around bike if you are going to have only one bike. If you plan on having two bikes, then a WFO or Lunchbox would make more sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.