Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Flow Trail fans!

It's time to announce some changes related to the flow trail project!

Beginning today I will be transitioning from my position as a paid employee at MBoSC and will be able to put more energy and time into my role as President of the Stewards of Soquel Forest. I will continue to remain engaged in activities in Soquel Demonstration State Forest including volunteering for trail construction and maintenance, as well as working with CAL FIRE to gain final approval of the new General Forest Management Plan, and develop new access into Soquel Forest off off Soquel-San Jose Road. Expect to see some announcements from me on these topics as well as some articles to be published by Hilltromper on some of the very interesting things that happen in the forest.

I wanted to let you know that the Flow Trail Project will be wrapping up and ending trail construction operations for 2014 by the end of May. The last volunteer day will be May 3rd, so if you are not already registered to volunteer on that day, please get on it! The registration form is here. Ongoing operations will include documenting, evaluating, monitoring, maintaining, planning, and potentially redesigning future segments, and will occur throughout the summer and winter.

CAL FIRE will be working with MBoSC to complete operations and inspections in order to open segments 5 and 3 of the Flow Trail to the public very soon, hopefully in May.

CAL FIRE, MBoSC, and the Stewards of Soquel Forest will continue to work together to maintain the SDSF trail network, including the Flow Trail.

Construciton of the remaining 4 segments of the Flow Trail will resume once CAL FIRE has had time to monitor the trail as a new recreational resource, and evaluate the performance of the trail under regular use and winter weather.

The public should be aware that firewood harvesting operations will be occuring in the vicinity of Tractor Trail starting soon, and that periodic closures of Tractor Trail as well as the Flow Trail may be required for public safety.

Firewood removal will also result in truck traffic on Hihn's Mill Road between Tractor Trail and Saw Pit trail and points west. Additionally there will be more work occurring on the shaded fuel break along Hihn's Mill Road. Recreational users should expect to share the road with trucks and other motor vehicles. Please use caution when passing.

A new Timber Harvest Plan has been approved for areas to the west of Saw Pit Trail. Road work is also planned on Hihn's Mill Road west of Saw Pit Trail. There will be sections of SDSF closed to the public during the time these operations are ongoing, however it is not anticipated to affect recreational use of Hihn's Mill Road above Sawpit Trail.

I want to take this opportunity to express my thanks for all the hard work everyone has put into getting these first two segments built! It's going to be an awesome trail and you all have so much to be proud of. I'm very grateful for the dedication of all the crew leaders as well as the vision and leadership of Drew Perkins in developing the Flow Trail concept and putting it on the ground.

MBoSC has many talented and dedicated people who have devoted a great deal of their time and energy to this project including Trail Builder Matt De Young and Marketing Coordinator Michele Lamelin. I want to thank everyone involved in the leadership of this project as it's been a great experience and is sure to be an accomplishment that we all can be very proud of. Our Flow Trail Committee consists of CAL FIRE's Forest Manager Angela Bernheisel, former Assistant Forest Manager Edgar Orre, MBoSC President Mark Davidson, MBoSC Vice President and Stewards of Soquel Forest Board member Daryl Breuninger, Tom Wilson, Vice President of Geo. H. Wilson, Don Palermini, Editorial Director at MTBR.com, as well and Drew and I. Also many members of MBoSC's Board of Directors including Eve Davidson, Megan and Steve Gemelos, Dave Robinson and others have contributed to guiding this project and I am very appreciative of all the time an energy given to help make this trail a success.

Patty Ciesla
President, Stewards of Soquel Forest
[email protected]
650-867-4485 cell

·
Registered
416 Posts
Construciton of the remaining 4 segments of the Flow Trail will resume once CAL FIRE has had time to monitor the trail as a new recreational resource, and evaluate the performance of the trail under regular use and winter weather.
Sounds like that could be a while.

Does MBoSC have any other trail construction projects lined up to start soon?

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
Great work, and thanks!

...compare the duration of this project, from announcement until wrapping up.. to something like opening an existing trail and adding another one in Sanborn park, announced in 2008..

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
NOT finished! When she said wrapping up, probably would have been better to say "pausing for the year" or something. Only a couple sections out of 6 are nearly done but NOT open yet.

·
default title
537 Posts
When you try to dig at Demo without moisture you kick up way too much dust and you don't end up with a ride-able trail corridor.

There is no water available to bring onsite for construction after it starts drying out.

Other parts of the world have very different dirt & rock dynamics that allows for longer building periods than we have with our Mediterranean rainy season. Especially with 1/2 the amount of normal rainfall this year.

If you had done flow trailwork you would have noticed the large amounts of stacked firewood along the flow trail and tractor fireroad. They're not pulling that all out by hand..lots of machinery coming back into that area of Demo.

---
No other publicly known "trail construction projects lined up to start soon". GlennW if I were you, I would head to the next MBoSC meeting (next week I think?) to find out more from the source.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
One way to "move projects forward at a faster clip" is to design a trail that is appropriate for a dry climate and the conditions present in the location of said trail. How the flow trail holds up as built is still anyone's guess but it clearly requires a tremendous amount of time, money and woman/man power to complete. Unfortunately the kind of trail, budget and time line used in demo was never up for discussion. It was either jump on board with an aggressive thumbs up or sit back and watch it unfold in the unsustainable way things have developed.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out over the year(s) it takes to finish the trail.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
I think the Emma McCrary trail (another MBOSC creation) is a great example of how the Demo flow trail will progress and hold up. It's a mini flow trail, has been pounded by the hordes during the driest year on record--and yet it's riding better than ever. The future is bright!

VV You ask a lot of questions for somebody that lives in AZ...

·
roadie
744 Posts
Based on the amount of construction to this point what is the predicted completion date of the trail? Are the current completed sections of trail available for the public to ride? They should be a great test to see how the completed trail will hold up in the future if the soil is the same as the McCrary trail which I assume has a large percentage of clay content.
the Emma McCrary is open to the public:

Emma McCrary Trail | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC)

the flow trail in demo is not, yet:

CAL FIRE will be working with MBoSC to complete operations and inspections in order to open segments 5 and 3 of the Flow Trail to the public very soon, hopefully in May.
re: assumptions about soil. perhaps someone from mbosc can make the results of the soil summary public?

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
My spidey sense tells me insguy 2 is the same guy from Sedona who used to troll every single Demo trail work thread. Dude is a butt hurt ex-Californian who takes every opportunity to point out how inferior we are now that he's left.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
My spidey sense tells me insguy 2 is the same guy from Sedona who used to troll every single Demo trail work thread. Dude is a butt hurt ex-Californian who takes every opportunity to point out how inferior we are.
Yes, he is. He could not keep himself from being an internet dickwad.

·
default title
537 Posts
My spidey sense tells me insguy 2 is the same guy from Sedona who used to troll every single Demo trail work thread. Dude is a butt hurt ex-Californian who takes every opportunity to point out how inferior we are now that he's left.
HA! Yep. Playing both sides of the track. Profile still says he's in Palo Alto but clearly looking to put sweat equity into Flagstaff's winning Bell grant track.

It is frustrating (to internet dickwads and people who actually live here) that we need to postpone additional work on Demo's flow trail but it's been the hard work of Drew, Matt and Patty with an army of volunteers behind them that have gotten us *this* close to opening sections 5 & 3.

The firewood in the area meant we weren't going to be able to do more this winter even with more rain. No reason to make good singletrack in section 4 and have the firewood guys just rip the sh*t out of the area during the summer only to have us rebuild again.

When sections 3&5 are officially opened, do a sawpit loop and then roll up tractor and spin down flow bits. Break up the monotony of that climb but not a destination trail until we can finish it (and skills area! woo!).

·
Registered
416 Posts
I built a 3.5 mile trail in three days once and it is being ridden by tens of thousands of people each year.
That's a rapid rate to build trail! Which trail & where is it located? Genuinely interested to know and understand more about how that's achievable.

Im sure there are plenty of lessons to be learned from what's been done already which will add considerable value into planning further phases and future projects.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The problem with insguy 2's trails is that they are in Sedona and they all go uphill, no matter what direction you ride them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts