Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my components together for my RIP 9 build and need to order the wheels on Monday. I need to decide on the ZTR Arch or the ZTR Flow wheelset.

My RIP 9 will be built a little burly and will not be used for racing. I was originally going to go with the Arch's considering I weigh 145 lbs, but I understand the Flow's would give a smoother ride b/c of the width. I'll be running Maxxis Ardent 2.25 or 2.4 tires as tubeless.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Flows are only 100gs heavier than arches and can accept super wide tires at low pressures. But sounds like overkill at your weight. Whats the bike for? I would do crests is you are riding xc but not for anything more intense.

I dunno. sounds like a tricky decision.

Sheepo

·
Fat & Single
4,175 Posts
Im 205lb and have been riding Crests for 6 months now with 2.4/2.25 RR's at 22psi both ends on my fully rigid Singlespeed, trail riding with small jumps, drops and ridden hard.

I would build a set for my FS bike only im getting carbon wheel fever . Just build the crests with brass nipples rather than the alloy and they should be sweet !

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
For piece of mind, would go Flows, absolutely bomb proof, have thrashed 2 sets of wheels shod with Flows, never let me down..... But now gone to the carbon side, may the force be with me :D

·
Fat & Single
4,175 Posts
Whafe said:
For piece of mind, would go Flows, absolutely bomb proof, have thrashed 2 sets of wheels shod with Flows, never let me down..... But now gone to the carbon side, may the force be with me :D
Piece of mind is definately Flows, i have 2 sets , 1 still on my 429 , they are bulletproof wheels, if you are even considering Arches that easily suit your weight , go with the wider Crests and build them with brass nipples... Lighter wheels and will take drops and jumps easily.

Yes Obi Wan, the force is with you , and i will be young jedi soon i will :thumbsup:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sheepo5669 said:
Whats the bike for? I would do crests is you are riding xc but not for anything more intense.
Sheepo
Mainly rough XC riding, some fast descents with lots of roots, rocks and small drops. Jumps and drops up to 3 feet.

·
Fat & Single
4,175 Posts
Go crests built with brass nipples !

I have seen the difference with someone riding arch's who is 30kg less than me and breaking nipples, it makes a massive difference.

·
Slow But Still Pedaling
484 Posts
Whafe said:
What wheels are you running and how have you found them? Curious about how strong the carbon wheels are for weight - the Crests weigh less than the Enve XC rims and the Enves cos 10x as much, so is the thinking here that the Enves are as strong as the Flows but at the weight of race wheels? (Building up a bike soon and trying to pick wheels right now myself, and I could get the carbons but trying to figure out if they're really worth it.)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm 142 lbs with I9/Flows on a Sultan, and the wheels really are bulletproof (but noticably heavy). I'm thinking they're overkill and plan on having them re-laced with lighter rims eventually. My $0.02 --> Arch or even Crest at our weight.

·
Uncle
4,361 Posts
On any wheel that you might opt for a 2.4, I'd say go with a Flow. I won't run anything wider than a 2.2 on the back of my 29er, and could happily use something skinnier than the flow. I know matching wheels are nice to look at, but front and rear wheels perform different functions, so I'd say go what matches functionally, rather than esthetically (they look pretty damn similar on a bike too, for that matter).

I'd strongly consider going with an Arch (or even a Crest since you're so light, and have suspension to help ease the impact on the rear wheel) in back and a Flow up front -- both are very strong and will hold up well under your weight. The front tire 2.4 would dictate for me a wide front rim.

·
Plays with tools
4,648 Posts
JimInSF said:
What wheels are you running and how have you found them? Curious about how strong the carbon wheels are for weight - the Crests weigh less than the Enve XC rims and the Enves cos 10x as much, so is the thinking here that the Enves are as strong as the Flows but at the weight of race wheels? (Building up a bike soon and trying to pick wheels right now myself, and I could get the carbons but trying to figure out if they're really worth it.)
The Enve rims are not even comparable in strength to the flows. They can build a wheel that is about twice as stiff as well. Of all the stuff on my bike the Enve wheels are the only thing I would buy again at retail.

·
Plays with tools
4,648 Posts
I usually pick wheel components starting with the tire and working my way in. Your tire preference is going to sway your rim choice more than your weight. Might think about flows on AL nips with revolutions, would probably be pretty durable for you and still keep weight in check.

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
And Crests w brass

customfab said:
I usually pick wheel components starting with the tire and working my way in. Your tire preference is going to sway your rim choice more than your weight. Might think about flows on AL nips with revolutions, would probably be pretty durable for you and still keep weight in check.
in back! :D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I really don't understand the thinking in regards to rims width :???: For me it's more a question of what you plan to ride and with what size/width tyres. If you're building up a trail bike, to be used as such, then to me it makes no sense going with anything narrower than the Flow. With the Flow you have a greatly increase footprint and it will allow you to run bigger tyres "properly" and not ballooned out on a small rim. Tyre squirm is THE most annoying thing and running a big tyre on a narrow rim is a sure way to exacerbate this, unless you like high pressures.

·
Registered
175 Posts
205lbs and run ZTR Arches and Ardent 2.4s ran on very similar terrain this weekend and have to say the combination was spot on. Only about 30 miles on the RIP9, but so far the combination has worked.

·
Registered
108 Posts
155lbs and destroyer of spokes and rims...I run Arches on 2.0 captains at 25 to 24 psi... but the terrain that I ride is pretty bad,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts