Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=250681344960&cmd=VIDESC&title=Description

Ebay item number 250681344960

Any estimates how much this wheelset weigh?

Does it seem like a good deal or can I get the set built for lower?

·
my body breaks the falls
1,455 Posts
Can't speak specifically about the weight, but I've bought 3 sets of Hadley-based wheelsets from RBikes/Richards Bicycles in the past and they've all been great. You can find them at rbikes.com - give 'em a call and ask about the weight.

·
Registered
642 Posts
You can get them from Chad @ Red Barn Bicycles for less than that. Weight will be ~ 2045g

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping they would weigh a little less since my stock Giant P-XC29 weigh 1900.

Will I notice a difference with the flows from the Giany wheelset? Are the Arch rims more suitable for someone 180lbs without gear and looking to race?

The wheelset will be used for racing and regular riding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a rear Hadley hub laced up to Flow rim that Larry at Ghisallo Wheels built for me. Great wheel at a great price. You will not be disappointed with the Hadley. Nice engagement and smooth rolling bearings. Not the lightest though, I think it came in at 1080 with rim tape.
ghisallowheels.com

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I go with crest rims instead of the flows, will I notice a big difference interms of stiffness? What about how the wheels roll?

Will the crests work for some one weighing 180lbs without gear?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
If I go with crest rims instead of the flows, will I notice a big difference interms of stiffness? What about how the wheels roll?

Do you ever ride without gear? I'd say at 180 no gear, you're at the upper limit for the Crest.
Yes, you will notice the difference in stiffness from Crest to Flow.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
azjonboy said:
Do you ever ride without gear? I'd say at 180 no gear, you're at the upper limit for the Crest.
Yes, you will notice the difference in stiffness from Crest to Flow.
Around 190 geared up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:

Take the durability of flows over any lighter rims, too many rocks to compromise with weight savings, unless you don't plan on riding CR, mooch, jungle, waway and Rwood. If you catch where I'm heading here...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mattybfat said:
Take the durability of flows over any lighter rims, too many rocks to compromise with weight savings, unless you don't plan on riding CR, mooch, jungle, waway and Rwood. If you catch where I'm heading here...
Its a dilema...I have stock anthem 29 wheels which weigh 1900g. I'm looking for a set for racing in the summer. I'm torn between the durability of the flow and the lightness of crest rim.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
Its a dilema...I have stock anthem 29 wheels which weigh 1900g. I'm looking for a set for racing in the summer. I'm torn between the durability of the flow and the lightness of crest rim.
The Arch is between the Crest and Flow in the NoTubes line. That may be a good option for you. Not sure of your location, but I'd probably stay away from the Crest at 190# geared up. I'd prefer to know I was on a durable wheelset (for my weight), but then again I don't race, ride lots of rocky, rooty, rough trails, and don't like dealing with out of true wheels, dented rims, etc. FWIW, I have Arch/Hope Pro 2/Wheelsmith DB/Alloy nips and I'm in southeast PA. No problems with the wheelset, though they have gotten some scars in the three plus years I've ridden them.

Jeremy

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had mikesee build me some beauty's. he is one of the best with high reputation. It cost you nothing to fill out a small self bio of yourself. He returns you a recommendation what he thinks. You aren't gonna get much better advice elsewhere. Be sure to give as much info in the comments area...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts