Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older (non-torch) i9 wheelset built with a Flow front and Arch rear, neither are the EX versions. I could pretty easily replace both hoops with the EX versions, but is it even worth bothering? I have no legit complaints with the current setup, but that never stopped me from wondering.

Thoughts? The correct answer is just keep riding, if I bust one of them replace it.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Personally, i like the wider and lighter EX versions.

That said, my wife's Tallboy has a Arch on the front and an Arch EX on the rear. Eventually I will replace it....just not a high priority.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
I have Schwalbe Hans Damph/Nobby Nic TLR on mine. No issues
and the Maxxis TR tires fit/air up just fine.

Per NoTubes website:

Not Recommend Tires
WTB TCS and UST 29 inch tires are too tight for Stan's Notubes rims and NoTubes licensed rims such as Sun Ringle Black Flag.
Specialized Grid UST Tires are very tight on Stan's Rims.
Hutchinson Air-Light tires - the bead is too weak for tubeless use resulting in tire blowing off the rim at low inflation pressures.
Hutchinson Tubeless Cyclocross tires - carbon fiber tire bead requires excessive pressure to seat properly often leading to tire blowing off the rim.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had really any trouble with any tires (TLR included) on Stan's rims.

As for the original question, I had already answered it but like the discussion. When (if?) I bang one of the rims up, I'll get them rebuilt with the newer versions. The extra width of the EX will be nice, especially the Flow up front when riding rigid...

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
When it's time to replace the older Flows, I would check the ERD's against one of the cheap Chinese carbon rims out there and go that route!
That's assuming you have the I9's with the straight pull spokes and need to re-use them.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I would like to understand the logic of using a narrower, lighter and weaker rim on the back of a bike. Most of the weight is on the back and generally it experiences greater impact.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
I would like to understand the logic of using a narrower, lighter and weaker rim on the back of a bike. Most of the weight is on the back and generally it experiences greater impact.
Ronnie, are you referring to my suggestion of going with carbon rims? If so check this link out.

Carbon Fiber 29" MTB Rim Clincher 35mm Width Mountain Bike Tubeless Compatible NEW-DESIGNED [NXT29C03]

As far as being narrower, yes some are. Being lighter, for sure! Weaker? Not a chance! :eekster:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought my wheelset second hand, ride a hardtail rigid SS, so if there's any sort of impact I'm standing, and I'm not particularly hard on wheels. Also typically run a lighter narrower tire out back. YMMV

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
I have a flow up front and a Arch EX out back as of now. I bought a i9 rear wheel that was built up with it and it's about .5mm width difference vs my non-EX flow, I see no reason to replace it at this time, plus the rear stays do not fit as wide a tire as a front so a little narrower does prevent the tire rubbin (doubtful though).

In the future I would like to get some carbon chinese rims to replace these wheels.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
No, I was referring to "rob1035" saying he has a Flow on the front and an Arch rim on the back.
This.

I have Arch EX on F and R of one bike, and Arch on F and R of the other. Tempted to buy two FlowEX rims to put on the rear of both, and then the Arch EX up front on both.

FWIW I can't tell a major different between my Arches and my Arch EXes. And the plain Arches are on the bike I ride more aggressively.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.