Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
When I used to work on motorcycles, we'd just sand stuff like this down with graduating grit and finish it off with some fine wet/dry sandpaper. Can you do the same for MTB fork tubes, or is this a replacement type of deal?

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
That's replace the uppers type of damage, the dings and gouges could be smoothed down and used for a little while but the ano wear down towards the bottom is the nail in the coffin. The bushings will start to wear into the aluminum at a much higher rate than they would with the ano still there. Funny thing is I just replaced a set of uppers with anno wear like that about 2 weeks ago in the shop. Did some research, it's not uncommon on Fox forks...wonder what the deal is.

Definitely needs to floss more frequently for sure.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
squish said:
Did some research, it's not uncommon on Fox forks...wonder what the deal is.
from what I remember its because Fox seals are designed to let a little oil past to lube the stanchions, but this means the stanchions attract more dirt and more dirt can get past the seals into the bushings. Properly lubed bushings alone won't wear the ano, but dirt can be pretty abrasive

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Makes sense, I typically pull the factory seals on Fox Forks and drop in a set of Enduro's. Oil seal keeps the oil where it's supposed to be and the new wipers keep the dirt out much better. But keeping up with the maintenance is a huge deal with any fork from any manufacturer.

Now remember children to floss regularly and change to oil at least once a year!

happy trails...

squish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts