Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets see if we can set up a Florida IronHorse Gathering At say Alifia Or maybe Boyete in maybe the next month or so. all willing to particapate. start posting and we can figure it out Saturday mornings work for me.and we could get a great 20 to 25 mile ride in at boyete and there are some good technical trails there and lots of great singal track.
Ride on
Jan R

·
mtbr member
36 Posts
How far is Alifia or Boyete from Panama City? <--- Ironhorse owner in P.C.

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheeta my guess would be about 250 miles figure pan handle to tampa hope that helps. probly 3.5 to 4 hr drive
Ride On
Jan R

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey sorry to interrupt this thread, with off the subject, but I was just curious... I live in the North East but have family who have recently moved to the Boyete area. I've been there a few times and only brought my road bike because I assumed there weren't any mt trails around there.

Can you give me some idea of where the trails are... I don't need exact locations but maybe some hints to look them up and find... like Names of the parks or where abouts (cross roads) they are... I'll consult a map and the next time I'm in for a visit I just may bring the mt bike.

Thanks

·
Banned
217 Posts
Alafia is sound. Carter Road flows. Markham Park in Sunrise has it's moments, but is not consistent as far as race pace. Oleta River State Park has large variences, and is expansive. Caloosahatchee Community Park should be avoided, as a quick trip to the Country Store is more demanding. Of course the IMBA effort in Ocala (Santos) is well touted; have not been. Razorback in close quarters is Sats. and Suns. only; again have not been. There is TOE; which is a members only ride. RidgeRiders is the Club local, and maintain others in the area. But word is TOE (Trail of Experience) is a treat.

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tom you can check out some of the reviews of the trails mentioned here at mtbr check under trail reviews, alifia boyete are both in there and are about 15 minutes away from each other by car. Boyete is on balm boyete road and the name of the park is boyete nature preserve. Look me up next time down and id be happy to put together a ride and show you one or both places both have great trails and alifia is deffinitly more demanding but allways have trails closed. boyete is more intermediate with less technical demanding trails but has much more single track (twisty tight single track) with its share of roots and lots of flat rideing but on the north side of the park there are about four differant sections that are advanced and very fun to ride. like i said, I ride every saturday weather permitting and usually ride boyete as I rode alifia a year or two ago 1 to 2 times a week and got burned out on it so now i only ride it about once every two months or so and am starting to enjoy it again as they have added a few more trails, compliments of the swamp club. Also location of alifia is off highway 39 just south west of lithia pincrest rode about 5 miles and beleive the proper name is alifia river trails They also have horse trails but none interfer with the bike trails and also have a camping area. both parks are very nice and enjoyible to ride .
Bring the mt bike next trip down and dont forget the rode bike because as you no there are alot of roadies that ride the country roades out around all the antenas and you should know what I mean if youve ridden around the boyete area on the road bike.

Ride On Rock and Root
Jan R

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jimmy it sounds as thow you have all the trails in south Fl marked but I have ridden the TOE and rode everything accept for the freeride park as the ridge riders call it (stunt land ) and the place is sick and I wont ride the 2x4's on end narrow side up and they got alot of that kind of stuff and 6 inch wide bridges that zig zag all around stunt land 4 or 5 feet in the air thats just not my style of rideing but it looks like a blast if you can ride that stuff just not my taste looks like something you would see in a freeride video. but like I said the trails are decent at the TOE and are fun to ride and deffinitly technical Just have to be a member. I let mine expire this past march so I havnt been there in awhile. Carter rode deffintly flows and has alot to offer if you no the trail system and how the loop flows but if you dont go with someone that knows the trails you probly wont find half of them just because of how it is laid out. I have had the pleasure of dropping into the big pit off of sprinkler hill many years ago about 10 to be exact before alot of the other stuff was put in and when there actually was a place to drop in at wich was about a 10 foot drop straight down and then flowed into about a 70 degree hill for about 50 feet and that used to be a blast but times have changed a little for me so I dont do any crazy stuff like that to much anymore. but did ride carter probly 30 times or so and it is still a blast to ride when I get the chance to make it out to lakeland. now Santos you must get up there and check it out probly a 4 hour ride for you but would be worth it for the trail system through the greenways is really a good trail system and flows flows and flows and I did a 45 mile ride there and never crossed the same trail and still only probly rode half of what there is to ride. best advice hook up with someone that know's the trails for it would be easy to get lost and can be as far as 25 miles away from the main parking area at some points and if you dont know your way around it would be easy to get lost.
Ride On Rock and Root
Jan R

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Come on fellow Florida IronHorse riders. I know you are out there. Maybe not members to the boards, but I have been seeing more IH bikes on the trails. I met up with a couple yesterday at Alifia and took them out on a tour of the park and they had a good time. Also met someone on an MKIII a few weeks back, and have seen a few warriors here and there at Boyette and Alifia. So lets all hook up for a Saturday morning ride be it Alifia, Boyette, Carter Park, I know your out there. Put the word out.
Ride On
Jan R

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok have been trying to hook some of you Fl riders and no buddy is bitting. Well how about some pictures to go with an Alifia ride that I took on this mornings ride Of some of the trails Lets just say the pictures dont do it justice cause the steeps arnt very steep on the pictures but you can all get an idea of what some of the trails are like and they are alot steeper in person. I will also try to get some pictures of Boyette on next weeks ride.

Ride On
Jan R

Attachments

·
kneecap
1,639 Posts
Really nice trail shots Jan. Looks like my favorite kinda stuff, but with more sand than my local calif. trails.
Whoever does the trail maint. there is doing a great job...

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Kit long time since ive seen you on the boards. hows things going shoot me an email.
As for the trails the local mt bike club (swamp club) builds and maintains three of the local trail systems in the area and some a little further north of here. They do do an excellant job of maintaining the trails and when you are on a swamp club trail you no it. they utalize alot of bench cuts to keep things rolling and most of the trails flow really well for the terrain we have to ride. lots of little steep hills so they do alot of the bench cuts to get around the hills and link them all together. we also have alot of little steep climbs and drops and they are really fun to ride and as I said Im going to take more pictures next weekend at another place and get those posted also. lots of good stuff and it goes to show you that Florida isnt really as flat as what everybody thinks. theres one trail that I really enjoy and to me it seems like I am in the mountains rideing around lakes on bermed off camber trails that just flow so good. If you ever get the chance to make it this way I will hook you up on a good Fl ride.
Also get alot of riders that come down from the north and have some problems getting used to the terrain for the way the trail systems are laid out and the roots and well yes even some of the sand but the sand doesnt really bother me any unless it hasnt rained in a couple of months and you hit some of the sugar sand that you just cannot ride threw cause the sand can get deep almost like powder snow but those spots are few and far between and usually only in open areas with no vegetation and you stay out of those places so you dont have to deal with it. also alot of the trails are laid out in old mineing land thaat has been reclaimed so most all the trails are hard packed and clay and when it rains you stay of the clay caus it is slick as ice and sticks to the bike very well and is a pain to clean.

Ride On
Jan R

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Morris bridge ride

Hello again just have a few more pics to post that I took on todays ride at a Tampa city park. Has about 30 miles of trails and is all flat for the most part but has about 25 miles of prime single track to ride that is turn after turn and is fun just to burm the turns and ride fast. never stopped to take trail shots but took a few pictures by the hillsborough river were we usually take a mile ride out and a mile ride back just to get the extra miles in and took a five min brake so I could take a few pictures. The park has alot to offer as far as easy and medium ability trails go and alot of the trails are pretty rooty. It is also a great cardio work out for you never stop pedaling but can pick your own pase and go . We ran about an average speed of about 16 to 20 mph today and never stopped untill we were about 18 miles into are ride just so I could take a few pictures. The park is Flat woods and Morris Bridge Trails And it connects 4 seperate sections of the park together and covers probly around 5000 achers of land maybe more. also have a paved loop that is around ten miles for the road riders and roller bladers and has a couple of extensions that go out and back adding about an aditional 6 or 7 miles to the pavement. Great place to ride if you dont like the technical stuff. hope you all like and enjoy the pictures.

Ride On
Jan R

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would be willing to go, I have a 06 Aniki. I'am looking to ride on some not so technical trails, just so i can get a feel for the bike. It's heavier then what i'am used to , so i have problems with keeping it pointed exactly where i want it to go. I whiped out bad at alafia yesterday because of it.

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EludeR let me no I am going more than likely saturday morning and was probly going to ride Alifia with a freind but may still ride Boyette Let me no usually go out around 8:30 or 9:00 but supposed to be cool this saturday so maybe even at around 9:30 let me no if you are interested send me a pm. And I also work in Pinallas on the corner of rooosevelt and 19 at a big car dealer specializing in used cars if you no were i meen. can also look me up by name there in the service department.
Ride on
Jan R

·
Registered
66 Posts
nice pics, Jan. You might wanna lay off on the caffeine though... :)

Jan R said:
Jimmy it sounds as thow you have all the trails in south Fl marked but I have ridden the TOE and rode everything accept for the freeride park as the ridge riders call it (stunt land ) and the place is sick and I wont ride the 2x4's on end narrow side up and they got alot of that kind of stuff and 6 inch wide bridges that zig zag all around stunt land 4 or 5 feet in the air thats just not my style of rideing but it looks like a blast if you can ride that stuff just not my taste looks like something you would see in a freeride video..........verbose.

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Alifia ride pics

Was out at Alifia today with a freind of mine and he broke a seat post so I figured it was time to take a few pictures of myself doing a few drops and had him snapping a few for me since he couldnt finish out the ride. Here are a few of a drop in on the bridges trail and then a couple going into franks loop Hope you all enjoy.
And also just want to mention about the fat tire festival next wekend at Alifia, trails are in good shape and rode everything today with exception to Gatorback and rabbit ears both still closed but will probly be open for the festival next weekend. And were opening a new section on the north creek trail wich will ad about another 3/4 to a mile to the length of it and were going to open it this afternoon.

Ride On
Jan R

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts