Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try a Monkey - HELP!

I really want to Demo a 20" Karate Monkey (preferably SS) before I pull the trigger on spec'ing one out to build.

I'm riding a rigid 19" Monocog now and love it. My Stumpy FSR has been collecting dust lately.

I'm thinking a KM would be everything I love about the Redline, but with even better stability and a smoother ride. I've read tons about the Monkey here and everyone seems to love them, but the weight, standover height, and bottom bracket height are the only thing I'm concerned about. (for reference, I'm 6'0 - 32" inseam and would ride it rigid....the bike, not me)

I'm leary to drop a bunch on a new build without trying one first, but I can't find any decently-priced used bikes my size, and I've called every listed dealer within reach of Tampa. None have any I could ride. Most of them wouldn't order one as a shop model because they don't get demand for them.

Sooo....what do I do? Spend 1-2k and hope I like it? Keep calling around? I'm running out of ideas.

·
Registered
568 Posts
swampforum

Beckman4 said:
I'm running out of ideas.
I was gonna suggest that you post over at Swampforums.org, but I see that you already have! Not too much activity there, eh?

Similar situation with me. Wanted to get a new bike, read over this forum, got hooked on the idea of a 29er and couldn't find anything to demo/buy in the area. So I did pretty much like you said "Spent 1-2k and hope I like it".

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swamp

Yeah, I might try them as well. I've talked to a few of the SWAMPers, but no luck so far.

I'm a fairly new member of SWAMP, and it's pretty apparent that those guys and gals are too busy, oh I don't know, RIDING ;) to worry about singlespeeds, 29ers, etc. :D

I was the same when I played golf (can't hardly believe I used to be a big golfer). Couldn't just play, I wanted to tinker with clubs all the time, had to try every new thing.

Anyhoo..Thanks for the response

·
Registered
173 Posts
SWAMP 29er

Beckman4 said:
Yeah, I might try them as well. I've talked to a few of the SWAMPers, but no luck so far.

I'm a fairly new member of SWAMP, and it's pretty apparent that those guys and gals are too busy, oh I don't know, RIDING ;) to worry about singlespeeds, 29ers, etc. :D

I was the same when I played golf (can't hardly believe I used to be a big golfer). Couldn't just play, I wanted to tinker with clubs all the time, had to try every new thing.

Anyhoo..Thanks for the response
I live a little south in Bradenton - SWAMP member and ride a Kelly 29er with a Vicious Cycles fork (thanks again kam).i am 6ft 32inseam and my lg. is perfect (100 stem)
you are welcome to ride her and cop a feel - bring beer.
jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.