Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of one? None seem to last, most of them being built with too many plastic parts. I have gone through the following:

Blackburn TP-1
Blackburn TP-2 (head replaced twice)
Blackburn TP-4 (head replaced, large nut broke)
Topeak Joe Blow (gauge broke, then head)
Topeak Joe Blow (first one was warrantied, now the head leaks)
Nashbar (broken plastic parts)
Wrench Force (leaking head)

I hate to say it, but at something like $15, the Nashbar was probably the best bang for the buck. Sure, it doesn't have a good feel or any signs of quality construction, but it probably put out as much air as any of them before throwing in the towel. It had a 1 year warranty and probably lasted about 2 years.

Blackburn has a great customer service policy. They have always promptly sent out free replacement parts. Even so, nobody like to have to use the customer service. By then, you are already frustrated with the product.

I would much prefer a pump made entirely with high quality metal parts (except the seals and hose) that is built to last. I would like it if the pump also came with extra seals for the inevitable failure. Actually, it probably shouldn't be inevitable since cheap air cylinders are built that easily last over 1 million cycles (and they aren't made of leather).

Are others as frustrated as me with crappy pumps? I think they should be a tool that is not disposable after 1 year, or even 10 years.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Good god you seem to have bad luck.

Have you tried that Park tool pumps? They are well constructed. I bought a cheap Serfas (sp???) pump and it has worked brilliantly in the 2 years I have had it and it doesn't appear to have much plastic on it (Except for the gauge and and valve thing.)

Cheers
Trevor!

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
I like my Specialized air tool pro. Although I haven't had it long (less than a year), I have yet to have any trouble with it. It feels like a really well made pump.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Get a Silca

I've been using the same old Medai floor pump almost forever. http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/medai.html
I don't think they are made anymore, but its all metal and easy to service. I've replaced the leather plunger, the hose (just auto parts store vacuum hose), and the chuck (with a brass Silca presta only).

If I was buying today, I'd buy a Silca Super Pista with the wooden handle.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The PFP-2 is a shop quality pump for the professional mechanic. Packed with features and built to last for years of dependable service. Imported.

Smooth operating double barrel design
Cast alloy head fits Presta and Schrader valves
Comfortable steel oversized handle with "soft-touch" rubber grips
Industrial quality pressure gauge is mounted on top of pump for easy reading
Extra long high pressure hose
Oversized cast alloy base for superior stability
Maximum pressure: 160 psi

Attachments

·
Throbbing Member
86 Posts
Silca Pumps

Econoline said:
I've been using the same old Medai floor pump almost forever. http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/medai.html
I don't think they are made anymore, but its all metal and easy to service. I've replaced the leather plunger, the hose (just auto parts store vacuum hose), and the chuck (with a brass Silca presta only).

If I was buying today, I'd buy a Silca Super Pista with the wooden handle.
I bought a Silca pump three years ago, it's a great "Old School" pump, wood handle as said, brass presta only valve, the only plastic on the pump is the cover for the gauge. Never had any problems. I strongly recommend this pump.

·
Registered
116 Posts
About 18 years ago, I bought a no name cheap O from K-Mart for $3.99 No guage and only worked on schrader valves. Adjust the price paid for inflation to 2004, then discounted at wally world, I would have maybe $7.99 invested today if I could find one.

After about 2 years, the plastic handle broke. I replaced it with a wood dowel that I attached to the shaft with a piece of metal and a garden variety nut. About 10 years later, the hose broke. I should have replaced the hose but I decided to retire it.

This pump was used many many times to fill our road bikes up to 120 lbs.

Tom

·
2,818 Posts
Silca

I've got a silca that has been going strong for a dozen or so years. I've aquired/won/used other pumps in that time, but none have stood up as well as my Silca. I think the only part i've gotten is a new little leather grommit for the head. I've wrapped the handle in road bike tape and it just strokes oh so smooth...

The thing I like about the silca is pretty much every bike shop has parts for these pumps. Others use cheap asian plastic parts and hunting down replacement parts can be tough. I have a Blackburn pump which pushes a lot of air, but it seemed like I was always "fiddling" with the head to find the sweet spot. I've got that somewhere but never use it because the Silca is much easier to use.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I just picked up the Blue Nashbar for $14 on sale, normally $20 or so. Looks like they bumped it a couple bucks in the past three weeks.

Hopefully it will work better than the $13 all plastic crap Wally World is selling when they have them in stock.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
I bought a Wrench Force Shop pump from my LBS for $40-something. It's a quality Silca clone. All the parts can be replaced w/ Silcas.

There's no plastic. Has brass fittings and a wood handle. It's the kind of pump you can pass down to the next generation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mr.Bob said:
I like my Specialized air tool pro. Although I haven't had it long (less than a year), I have yet to have any trouble with it. It feels like a really well made pump.
+ 1 This is a seriously nice pump & air bleed button on the handle is a great feature. It seems very sturdy & beefy, not to mention very stable on the floor dur to its large cast aluminium base. Apart from that it's a pump.....

Catch ya later.........Joe :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Surprisingly, my Supergo brand pump has been nice. I picked one up because I had lent girlfriend my nice Blackburn pump and was going to give her the Supergo one and take back my Blackburn.

Much to my surprise, I liked the Supergo one better, so kept it for myself. I forgot the model, but it's the red one. It has a nice head that does not bend the presta tips. It has a flip up lever instead of the Blackburn's turning switch to seal and lock on the head. I prefer the lever. It's been reliable and I can't complain.

I have no idea what the warranty is and Supergo is infamous for bad customer service, but I guess for a pump I didn't mind the risk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll put another vote in for the Specialized Air Pro

My Specialized is built well and has served me well for about 2 years, the local store uses one for their hand pump, that's why I bought mine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.